Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgulliver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2003
Hey all. I'm about to switch, waiting on purchasing a notebook. I've heard talk that the current 15" tend to run hot, and have bad airport reception. I've heard the same heat problems applied to the new 12" Al PB. How hot are we talking her folks? After how long leaving the system on?

JustAGuy

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
LotusLand
I'ved used a RevA 500Mhz TiBook extensively. Unless the newer models run significantly hotter, then "hot" really isn't that hot, in the big picture.

If you're wearing shorts, I could definately see it becoming very uncomfortable over a long period of time on a hot day, but nowhere near burning (just maybe a bit sweat producing ;)

I'd have to say it's comparible to a lot (if not most) of the PC laptops I've used, especially the more recent "mega-tops" like the ones Dell puts out.

pgulliver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2003
Hot

Thanks. Yeah, I have an older Dell, and it definitely heats up, but nothing damaging...if the Powerbooks are the same level of hotness, that's fine then.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
I found a big difference between 9 and OSX, in that OSX runs noticably cooler on my Ti 400, the fan only kicks in during prolonged Quake 3 sessions.

It's apparently because Unix accesses the processor less and the HD more, which is also why I can't get the battery life in OSX, Oh well...

There's no danger of burnt genitals like that poor sap with the Dell laptop;)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
My 15" 1GHz PowerBook actually runs cooler than my 400 MHz PB, and neither are hot enough to cause me much discomfort.

Airport reception has been just fine on both models as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.