Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk1985

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
I'm currently using Aticcelerator II to overclock my iBook's CPU. I was wondering what would be the maximum amount of Mhz to add to to the Card's CPU and memory (safely). I really don't want to mess up my computer so any ideas would be great.

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
It's usually the case that much more than a 10%-15% increase in speed will be unstable, but it's really not at a risk of harm until you start to encounter errors.

sk1985

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
calebjohnston said:
If you really don't want to risk 'messing up' your iBook, then don't overclock it.
I really can't see how overclocking the CPU would mess it up. I'm more so interested in seeing what kinds of gains I can get while keeping the GPU stable. By messing it up I intended to say I want to keep my computer stable (i.e. No errors, overheating issues, or crashes).

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
calebjohnston said:
If you really don't want to risk 'messing up' your iBook, then don't overclock it.
How exactly is that going to happen? electron migration? lack of heating leading to the chip burning out? Unlikely over the short term. What's more likely is that the chip (and it's the GPU we're talking about not the CPU since ATIcccelerator II doesn't do CPUs) will become unstable and sk1985 will get visual artifacts or his computer crashing.

My suggestion is to keep increasing the speeds a few Mhz at a time until you start getting crashes or artifacts and then lower it back down a few notches until it's stable. Every GPU is going to have different overclocking potentials. The one downside to overclocking your GPU is that there'll be a bit more of a power draw so your battery life might shorten, but if you're sitting at your desk with your ibook plugged in, then don't worry about it.

sk1985

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
topicolo said:
How exactly is that going to happen? electron migration? lack of heating leading to the chip burning out? Unlikely over the short term. What's more likely is that the chip (and it's the GPU we're talking about not the CPU since ATIcccelerator II doesn't do CPUs) will become unstable and sk1985 will get visual artifacts or his computer crashing.

My suggestion is to keep increasing the speeds a few Mhz at a time until you start getting crashes or artifacts and then lower it back down a few notches until it's stable. Every GPU is going to have different overclocking potentials. The one downside to overclocking your GPU is that there'll be a bit more of a power draw so your battery life might shorten, but if you're sitting at your desk with your ibook plugged in, then don't worry about it.
Yeah I only play games while my iBook is plugged in. When the battery is in use I'd just put the GPU on it's stock frequency. Basically you stated my biggest fears (a system that crashes or has funny visuals). I was hoping that someone here would already have done the trial and error and just known what the 9550's max limits are. I guess I'll just start playing around with it a bit.

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
sk1985 said:
Yeah I only play games while my iBook is plugged in. When the battery is in use I'd just put the GPU on it's stock frequency. Basically you stated my biggest fears (a system that crashes or has funny visuals). I was hoping that someone here would already have done the trial and error and just known what the 9550's max limits are. I guess I'll just start playing around with it a bit.

I bumped it 25% and I can say that it is completely stable at that level. I was too chicken to push it more :p

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Actually, besides just having it crash, you can fry the graphics card...read the comments on MacUpdate about it. :(

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
ITASOR said:
Actually, besides just having it crash, you can fry the graphics card...read the comments on MacUpdate about it. :(

Yeah, I read that when I got done playing and put it back to stock. I'll stick to gaming on the G5 :p

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
ITASOR said:

That's what I was talking about before. "Messing up" your computer. The company would have raised to any given level if it was entirely safe.

sk1985

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
ITASOR said:
Yeah but I imagine people must have overclocked the hell out of their cards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.