Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

libobbes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2003
Hey guys,
this is my first time at this site, but I'm hoping someone here can help me. My new powermac G4 has been having a problem turning off. About 50 - 75% of the time when my wife or I hit 'Shut Down' it just sits there with the spinning lollipop....and won't shut down. Forcing us to do the old 5 second hold on the power button in order to turn it off. Anyone here have any idea why this is happening? The computer works fine aside from this. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Libobbes

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Post more info your system such as operating system and which g4 you are using then iam sure someone will be able to help! and yes we hate the beachball!

libobbes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2003
added info on the puter

I'm running jaguar (still have OS 9 classic loaded also) and its a 40Gig harddrive. I believe its the 867mhtz. I'll double check that when i get home from work and add more info if needed. Thanks DHM.

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
Ah, yes

I heard it called the 'spinning psychadelic pizza of death'.

Do you have multiple accounts set up in Jaguar or single user? Sometimes logging out and logging back in takes care of the problem. I had that happen to me for a while, but it eventually went away...I have no idea what I did. Also, how long are you waiting until you force it off? Sometimes Jag needs to do some 'stuff' before it shuts off (I've had it take over 2 minutes to sleep). You also may want to boot from the OS X CD and use disk utility to repair permissions...

I'm no expert, so I don't know how much this will help. Maybe a uber-user will jump in with a definite solution....

Good luck.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
couple more things are you booting into os 9 or 10 on start up, do you have any other drives connected to it? do you mess with fonts? sounds like its trying to work on something when turning off you use multiple users?do you use energy saver?etc kind of give a breakdown on what you do with machine how it is set up when it started etc etc. be complete on everything. Macrumors has people that visit that are mac geniuses sorry iam not one but maybe someday. Also just my own advice if you dont need classic os9 for anything dont even use it or have it because it is old obsolete and toublesome compared to osx though some diehard os9 users may argue.

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
I found 3 reasons where sleeping or shutting down sometimes could take a couple of minutes:

- FireWire over IP beta (turning it off is enough)
- Mounted SMB shares (win2k machine)
- A faulty, scratched CD or DVD in the internal DVD player

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Have you ever repaired the disk permissions or defrag the drive?

You may also want to boot into Unix (console) mode by holding Apple key+ s at start up and type fsck –y to see if you have modified files!!
To get out of Unix mode type reboot.

Good Luck!!!!;) :D :cool:

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Yes you'll need to do the fsck -y. My iMac had this same problem, it wouldn't shut down and wouldn't retain some system settings, which i'd imagine are written to the disk during shutdown. Also repair permissions. Defragging won't help this problem. To repair permissions, you'll need to boot from the OS X install disc, i don't remember which app you have to run- someone else help me out here?

pnw

libobbes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2003
thanks guys!!!

I'm gonna try that first thing tonight!!! I'll let you all know if it works that way if this happens to someone else we have a confirmed solution to it. Thanks again everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.