Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allan_zip

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2005
Belfast, N. Ireland
UKnjb said:
(to get round the deliberately mastered bad sector problem).

I ripped a dvd last night and got that message from MTR, after Toast wouldn't finish copying the disc. It wasn't a commercial disc though, just a live concert someone had taped. Is this a bug in MTR or a problem with my disc?
Sorry if this is a little off-topic, i'd never seen the message until last night.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
kingjr3 said:
Obivously, none of you haters have used DVD Shrink...It by far the best and most fully featured (not to mention free) DVD ripping/compression application out there. So what if you have to use Windows. You are going to have to accept at some point that Apple is going to become more popular with the PC crowd. Just look at the influx of Windows based posts already on this very forum...I'm all for using the best tool for the job and DVD Shrink just happens to be that.

You miss the point. You don't have to be a "hater" to find a solution that requires windows to be unacceptable. For someone who is already running it, maybe. But for anyone else, it requires partitioning your hard drive and installing a whole other OS that costs a couple hundred bucks.

I assume you can imagine why people would prefer a native OSX solution.

allan_zip said:
I ripped a dvd last night and got that message from MTR, after Toast wouldn't finish copying the disc. It wasn't a commercial disc though, just a live concert someone had taped. Is this a bug in MTR or a problem with my disc?
Sorry if this is a little off-topic, i'd never seen the message until last night.

Many new discs have additional copy protection and won't work in current versions of MTR (or other ripper apps). MTR and others are constantly updating in an effort to stay compatible with all discs.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Does anyone know a good DVD ripper? I've got Handbrake but want to get the info off the DVD and into my computer quickly to then let Handbrake chug along at its own pace.

If Mac The Ripper is no longer available, is there an alternative?

denniscote

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
You could try RipIt at thelittleappfactory.com/RipIt

It's not free, but it has worked well for me every time I have used it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.