Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
Hello,

I'm looking for a place which will buy/rent me a .com domain name and rent be some space on the web. Nothing too fancy, but preferably cheap and uncomplicated (and UK based, if you think that makes a difference).

I'm completely bamboozled by all of the sites that come up when I google web hosting. Can someone recommend somewhere?

Thanks!

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
Mr Skills said:
Hello,

I'm looking for a place which will buy/rent me a .com domain name and rent be some space on the web. Nothing too fancy, but preferably cheap and uncomplicated (and UK based, if you think that makes a difference).

I'm completely bamboozled by all of the sites that come up when I google web hosting. Can someone recommend somewhere?

Thanks!

I would buy the domain name from GoDaddy.com. It's very cheap (under $10 per year) and I use westhost.com for my hosting. They're excellent.. if you get the starter plan you get a good amount of storage, bandwidth, and customer support is great. If you need help with something you can use the Chat button on the homepage for tech support. The best part about them is their User Control Panel. It has a Site Applications function that allows you to select things like PHP, MySQL, WordPress, PHPBB, etc., and then click Install and it installs them on your domain. It's excellent!

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Not UK based, but ASO (A Small Orange) is quite popular among the crowd here. I have used it myself for the past two years and I highly recommend them. They're cheap, reliable, and the support is fast and helpful. They also have almost every server feature you might need, and use Fantastico, which is a web app that installs different features for you. You can also register the domain through them for US$10 a year. Take a look at their hosting plans here.

Good luck!

irmongoose

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I concur... GoDaddy. I have 6 domains there and they host a site for me. Never a lick of trouble, and the tech support treats you like you invested a million bucks.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I recommend NameCheap.com -- I have over 40 domains with them and their tech support is great and so is their service and control panel. And they accept PayPal (most registrars do now a days it seems).

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
I was going to recommend Yahoo, but they are no longer running that special where you could register it for $2.99 a year for up to 5 years.

Any big name registrar like Yahoo or GoDaddy or even ASO will give you quick and reliable service.

It looks like Yahoo is still running a special, but it is for one year instead of up to five. Details are here.

EDIT - if you do a Google seach for "cheap domain registration" you will find quite a few running specials. I do not know how reliable they are, so you might want to ask aboout specific ones before doing it.

ucscc10

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2006
I did a small orange when i first started my site- but i found that for the money i was being charged, i was not getting enough "stuff" for it. most notably the lack of space and bandwidth compared to other places like godaddy. So, i switched, and that's where i would recommend. i think for 4 or 5 US i get 200 GB of bandwidth (which i have never used up) and plenty of storage. Godaddy is really easy too, and you can register with them over the phone and they take you through it step by step.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
thanks for the advice. In the end I have gone with a company affiliated with my service provider. All seems good so far!

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
but i found that for the money i was being charged, i was not getting enough "stuff" for it. most notably the lack of space and bandwidth compared to other places like godaddy. So, i switched, and that's where i would recommend.
If you are having a good experience with GoDaddy, that's great, but heavy oversellers (ie. cheapo hosts) tend to have so many other restrictions in place that in the end most webmasters would rather spend a bit extra and get decent hosting. :)

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Go daddy is good, but if you want amazing hosting and a domain name CHEAP PM me and I can get you a deal with lunarpages.com.

Seriously

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
I have used MyDomain for almost all the domains I have registered. To me they are almost all the same, but MyDomain seems to cater to the people who think that someday they may host their own site. They give you all kinds of tools for IP and URL redirecting, so I can point my domain at my home IP address if I wanted.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
sorry if this sounds noobish, but whay cant i just register my own domain?

williek.wk would rock!
legacysystems.ls would also be cool

just a thought.

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
i use a 6te.net address its free and it works for everything I do
and gives you heaps of space and heaps of traffic, i use it to run my business

knackroller

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
I use registerfly.com, the fees are about $7.99 or $8.99 per year, and not just for the first year. If I'm not wrong my .co.uk domain cost me $12.99 for 2 years or something like that. And they provide free URL redirection.

rick6502

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006
My Registar

I use 1&1.com. They were real cheap and they have a tiered service. Domain only, email only, hosting, hosting with scripting, etc...

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
I use 1&1.com. They were real cheap and they have a tiered service. Domain only, email only, hosting, hosting with scripting, etc...

Another vote for 1&1.
I got a .co.uk domain and I think it cost me something like 3 quid a year.
Can't complain at all really.

Ah, just seen that this thread is 5 years old.. sorry. Hopefully still useful for someone.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
I use 123-reg for all my domains. I've worked for some large web development companies in Scotland, and they've all used 123-reg too. It's relatively cheap, they're a huge name, they're reliable, support is good, and changing nameservers / dns isn't an extra cost (I'm looking at you, UK2!)

I'd recommend avoiding a lot of new users here who are recommending small sites, and register your domain with the big boys. Some people have recommended GoDaddy (a big US registrar). 123-reg are the big British registrar.

http://www.123-reg.co.uk

DPM888

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
Go with Go Daddy. I've used them and Network Solutions and I prefer Go Daddy. If you are looking for hosting, too, definitely go with Go Daddy if you want to keep it really simple. If you need a good e-commerce platform, however, I'd stay away from Go Daddy and Network Solutions and go with Big Commerce of Volusion. I prefer Big Commerce.

Tiggs

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Would add to the positive reviews of Go Daddy. They're prices tough to beat, especially in quantity.

Albright

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
Okay, guess I'll be the first to speak out against Go Daddy. Their ads are shameless and they try to upsell you for every stupid little thing.

I'll side with what ITASOR said - five years ago. NameCheap is the place. Though they still try to upsell you on hosting packages and such, they're not nearly as shameless about it, and they don't resort to trashy advertising campaigns to hawk their services. They're a bit more expensive than Go Daddy in most cases, but not having to do business with Go Daddy is worth it for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

milzay

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2003
For purely domain registration http://www.domainexpress.co.uk/ are by far the cheapest and their support is decent. (I have used other providers - 1and1, 123reg... in the past)

I have found iPage (http://www.ipage.com) to be absolutely fantastic for hosting. Their fees are relatively low, support is good and you get a domain name as well as e-mail hosting (...@yourdomain.com) all included.

(I am UK based too)

Ronald Williams

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2011
If you want to choose the exclusive domain names in cheap price then you must go with godaddy.com, there you can have a large number of domain names in very lesser price as compare to the other domain name service providers....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.