Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
risc said:
Don't even get me started on music I think Bill Hicks said it best "See I think drugs have done some good things for us. If you don't think drugs have done good things for us then do me a favor. Go home tonight and take all of your records,tapes and all your CD's and burn them. Because, you know all those musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreal f$cking high on drugs, man."
Well, too bad he was wrong. Charlie Parker would have made amazing music without the heroin (which actually wasn't an addiction of choice in his case. He became addicted at 15 while in the hospital). Duke Ellington didn't use anything other than alcohol or the help of Billy Strayhorn, who didn't use them either. Miles Davis and John Coltrane made some of their best music (Sketches of Spain, Kind of Blue, Bitches Brew for Miles, Giant Steps, My Favorite Things, A Love Supreme for 'trane) AFTER they kicked heroin. Clifford Brown suffered from two addictions: bebop and chess. I guess it helps if you're experienced with music made before 1960...

Edit: damn typos...

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
yellow said:
I wasn't aware that iRaq was in the employ of the USA? :confused:

actually, they are in george w. bush's wrangler jeans coin pocket to be precise...it's really lodged in there and hard to get out ;)

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Don't even get me started on music I think Bill Hicks said it best "See I think drugs have done some good things for us. If you don't think drugs have done good things for us then do me a favor. Go home tonight and take all of your records,tapes and all your CD's and burn them. Because, you know all those musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreal f$cking high on drugs, man."

I really wanted stop coming back to this thread but anyway, to start, I totally agree to the poster "Counterfit" who made a great post earlier on this part. Anyway this whole rant basically stating "DRUGS+ARTIST = BREAKTHROUGH music, films, etc." In some cases that has been true, but it wasn't all because of drugs...THAT MY FRIEND IS TALENT---most true leaders and talented people in this world are usually born with that factor. And most of the great ones ended up throwing it all away because of too much drug use so please give it a rest that drugs brought all of the great music to us.

What I love most about the anti-drug types is all drugs are the same they are all evil, people who take them are all evil, or idiots, oh and of course the cigarettes, coffee, and alcohol aren't drugs! The only thing worse is someone telling us that marijuana isn't a drug when it is well proven that it is one of the best drugs out there for causing psychosis.

Well I didn't say all drugs were the same and I didn't bash all drug users. There is a damn difference...and Steve Jobs was not a crack head. And alcohol is one of the worst drugs for some people in my opinion (and once again this thread should have been all about crack users since that is what the poster said he was on.)

All of you anti drug types need to grow up the reality is there are actually drugs out there like LSD, and Ecstasy that people take because they feel good, are they bad for you yes, but then so are those cigarettes, coffee, and alcohol. There are also drugs out there made to keep you addicted and to make drug dealers rich, like speed, heroin, crack, cigarettes, coffee, and alcohol.

I am sure crack is one of the best highs and that is why so many people get hooked BUT its most definitely going to screw up your life. Its just a fact.

If the OP is being open and honest why do you feel you need to tear him down? All this thread has done has proven that some of you are pretty clueless, and not very nice people. How the OP came to take crack isn't at issue here, getting help to get off one of the worlds most addictive drugs is. Sometimes people need to hit rock bottom to start moving up, and here's hoping if this story is true that it does happen.

The guy is pissed off cause he got a drug test and lost everything, the best thing for the guy is a dose of truth----if he was my boyfriend or friend I would have beat his ass already for doing this to his life. But fine, I take back what I said the other day about not feeling sorry for him..I feel sorry for people with any kind of bad problems.....BUT they are being stupid and if he is going to come on a message board and post personal stuff then its everyones right to post how they feel. STOP TELLING US WE CAN'T.

I'll leave you with something that happened at work yesterday. One of the notebook break fix engineers I work with was telling me how pissed off he was, and how he wanted to kill his neighbour because she is addicted to heroin. She has recently moved in to the flat under his, put there by the Red Cross so she has somewhere to live, and hopefully get her life around. Anywho I asked him why he wants to kill her, and he said well it's a pain in the butt everytime he needs sleep she's up playing music all day, and I asked why that was a pain in the butt? BECAUSE I'VE ALWAYS GOT A HANG OVER WHEN IT IS HAPPENING. Like some of the not so caring people here he spends his time telling me how she deserves to be chucked out in the street, hopefully she will die, he wants to bash her to shut her up, so he can enjoy his hang overs. What is the definition of irony again?

</useless rant>

Yes I agree with you now, very useless rant, but just wait until you have a neighbor that is LOUD and ANNOYING...you probably would complain too.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
macartistkel said:
I really wanted stop coming back to this thread but anyway, to start, I totally agree to the poster "Counterfit" who made a great post earlier on this part. Anyway this whole rant basically stating "DRUGS+ARTIST = BREAKTHROUGH music, films, etc." In some cases that has been true, but it wasn't all because of drugs...THAT MY FRIEND IS TALENT---most true leaders and talented people in this world are usually born with that factor. And most of the great ones ended up throwing it all away because of too much drug use so please give it a rest that drugs brought all of the great music to us.

i do think drugs and alcohol played a part of, let's say, the breakthrough music of the sixties (stuff i grew up on), but an equal, or even bigger part of the need for breakthrough music was the turbulent times that spawned it...for instance (vietnam war, generation gap, sexual experimentation, college riots, civil rights movement, women's liberation movement)

i am sure there are some talented people who were actually made less creative by the use of drugs and alcohol

overall, the music of the sixties i love so much would have been vastly different if drugs did not play a part but i am glad that i didn't get caught up in drug and alcohol abuse

i am starting to get more into bebop jazz and i was astounded to find out how much substance abuse was in those circles, too

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
jefhatfield said:
i do think drugs and alcohol played a part of, let's say, the breakthrough music of the sixties (stuff i grew up on), but an equal, or even bigger part of the need for breakthrough music was the turbulent times that spawned it...for instance (vietnam war, generation gap, sexual experimentation, college riots, civil rights movement, women's liberation movement)

i am sure there are some talented people who were actually made less creative by the use of drugs and alcohol

overall, the music of the sixties i love so much would have been vastly different if drugs did not play a part but i am glad that i didn't get caught up in drug and alcohol abuse

i am starting to get more into bebop jazz and i was astounded to find out how much substance abuse was in those circles, too

I still think there is an "IT" factor with some people and maybe the whole thinking different thing drives them to use drugs as well. I never disagreed that the experiences some musicians had with drugs definitely impacted their music. The band I loved from the sixties is the Doors and I have always been interested in Jim Morrison's life story. I love reading about it and his relationship with Pam Courson too. Damn, it ALL involved drugs though! But exciting to read about!

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
macartistkel said:
I still think there is an "IT" factor with some people and maybe the whole thinking different thing drives them to use drugs as well. I never disagreed that the experiences some musicians had with drugs definitely impacted their music. The band I loved from the sixties is the Doors and I have always been interested in Jim Morrison's life story. I love reading about it and his relationship with Pam Courson too. Damn, it ALL involved drugs though! But exciting to read about!

imagine if jim morrison, janis joplin, jimi hendrix, brian jones of the rolling stones, and many others didn't die from drugs/alcohol...and were still around

for all brian wilson of the beach boys went through, i am amazed he is still alive

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Drugs are an amplifier.....
they do not make people good or bad......
they merely bring out the good or bad that is already in people......
everyone has a good and a bad side

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
jefhatfield said:
That's a pretty sad part in the history of jazz (well, not considering the music). Many many musicians of the time thought that in order to play like Bird, you had to live like Bird. That didn't work for the vast majority of them. Thankfully (well, not really), the death of Charlie Parker and the (sadly shortened) life of Clifford Brown helped change that. When Parker died, the coroner estimated his age at 55-60. He was 34. Those didn't stop everyone though, as seen in the death of Chet Baker.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Counterfit said:
When Parker died, the coroner estimated his age at 55-60. He was 34.

if any of the rolling stones had died at 34, they would also have looked to be senior citizens in the 55+ range...especially keith richards

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
jefhatfield said:
if any of the rolling stones had died at 34, they would also have looked to be senior citizens in the 55+ range...especially keith richards
A few years ago, I heard about a toxicologist (I think) who predicted how many years some famous rockers had left. Ozzy had about 3-5, a couple other guys had 10-20, and Keith Richards had...

-7. He should have died 7 years prior to the "study". Maybe he really does get blood transplants... :rolleyes:

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Jovian9 said:
Drugs are an amplifier.....
they do not make people good or bad......
they merely bring out the good or bad that is already in people......
everyone has a good and a bad side
Reminds me of an old Bill Cosby joke.

"Guy told me he was doing drugs. I asked him, 'Why do you take those things?' He said, 'Because it makes you feel everything more. It intensifies your personality.' And I said, 'Yeah...but what if you're an ***hole?'"

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
SpaceMagic said:
I have no sympathy with people who require drugs to make them feel good.

Go to a shelter, stop taking drugs, grow up.
I have little sympathy for people who choose to take drugs just for kicks, but those who require drugs to feel good I do.

David L.

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2006
Welcome to the USA!
biggrin.gif

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
pseudobrit said:
Maybe you should volunteer at a shelter and try being a little more human. No sympathy?

OK, you're right. I do have some sympathy. I feel sorry for the fact that one requires drugs to be happy. I also have sympathy for people who want to get out of an addiction, people who realise they're ruining their lives. I don't have sympathy for people who snort coke at parties, take ecstacy for a high, smoke dope until they're unsociable just so they can get a high, the list goes on. There is a reason they're illegal.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
SpaceMagic said:
OK, you're right. I do have some sympathy. I feel sorry for the fact that one requires drugs to be happy. I also have sympathy for people who want to get out of an addiction, people who realise they're ruining their lives. I don't have sympathy for people who snort coke at parties, take ecstacy for a high, smoke dope until they're unsociable just so they can get a high, the list goes on.

That's quite a different class of people than the one you originally attacked.

Most people I've known in the "partying" category aren't/weren't physically addicted.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
YOU know what the answer is to that question is dont you:????? dont take drugs!!!!!!! love macs for what they are, without the influence of drugs!!!! ~~~

peace out man.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.