Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2001
A somewhat surreal article from the Iraqi Daily Newspaper (published by the Iraq Ministry of Information) ponders where the best location for a base on Mercury would be, seeing as how they have discovered frozen water on Mercury's north pole:

Well...believe it or not, water has been detected on Mercury near the polar regions by studying the radar reflections from the surface material. That means that of all the locations on Mercury, the place that offers the only natural source of water is at the north or south pole. Humans need water so we would tend to favor those places in the solar system where this is freely available rather than having to bring it with us. So, I would probably put a colony near the north pole region, where the slanted rays of the sun would make it a naturally cooler place that in the hot equatorial zone. Being so close to the sun, you would also have a more severe problem in maintaining a comfortable temperature regime so again the polar regions would be favored.

http://www.uruklink.net/iraqdaily/tech.htm

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Oh my! Iraq is up to something after all!

I think one of these days Saddam Hussein is going to jam all our television networks with a broadcast detailing his plans fry the U.S. with a secret Iraqi laser on Mercury unless we pay him one MILLION dollars... .... ... *cough* one hundred BILLION dollars!

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
Iraq couldnt launch a monkey into the upper atmosphere, let alone get men or anything else to mercury. the iraqi space program? thats just laughable. What next, nigeria will be sending probes to Mars? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.