Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rug13y

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Hello

I have just bought a dual core iMac.

In one room I have the PC connected to a Netcomm NB1300 Plus 4 wireless modem/router by ethernet cable.

In another room I have the iMac and want to use that wirelessly with the inbuilt Airport to the wireless modem.

How do i go about it please? Im a boofhead when it comes to technical stuff so please go easy on me. I just want the internet on the iMac thats all! :D

Thanks in advance

Lee

Ryan5505

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
CA
I run an Airport Express with all current updates for my wireless connection between my powerbook G4 and Internet connection. Two days ago I came home and my Internet connection was not available. I thought that my ISP was probably down since the green light was on. The next day my Internet was still down, so I disconnected the Ethernet cable and reconnected it, the amber light now flashes non-stopped. I have connected directly to the wall and my Internet will work. I have repeated hard and soft resets on the airport express with no luck. Any suggestions?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
So Rug13y, you have a wireless network already running and you want your new iMac to join it?

Well, go the the Networks pane of System Preferences, click on AirPort and check the box that says Show AirPort Status In Menu Bar. This'll make things simpler. Now, click on the weird cone looking shape in the menu bar, it'll drop down and show you available networks. Click on yours, enter the password if necessary, and start playing on the 'net. :cool:

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2005
Once you get the iMac go to system prefs click on airport the mac will reconize your router ( if it's mac compatible ) Click join network go online.

Rug13y

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2006
mad jew said:
So Rug13y, you have a wireless network already running and you want your new iMac to join it?

Well, go the the Networks pane of System Preferences, click on AirPort and check the box that says Show AirPort Status In Menu Bar. This'll make things simpler. Now, click on the weird cone looking shape in the menu bar, it'll drop down and show you available networks. Click on yours, enter the password if necessary, and start playing on the 'net. :cool:

Thanks guys. So what you are saying is that the imac would automatically pick up the signal?
Regarding the password, which would this be?
Thanks
Lee

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2005
That is of you have a PassWord if you do we can't help you also if the router asks you for a password and you havn't used a custom one its usually on the bottom of the router.;)

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
Rug13y said:
Thanks guys. So what you are saying is that the imac would automatically pick up the signal?
Regarding the password, which would this be?
Thanks
Lee

if you have not set a password, most wireless routers will ship with the default password of ADMIN (i think). But if i were you i would configure WEP and set your own custom password....

Rug13y

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Electro Funk said:
if you have not set a password, most wireless routers will ship with the default password of ADMIN (i think). But if i were you i would configure WEP and set your own custom password....

Sorry what is WEP? You are dealing with a non knowing brand new iMac user here. :D

Rug13y

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2006
mad jew said:

Tried all that, but a box came up saying 'cannot find PPPoE server'

What am I doing wrong?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Assuming your wireless network is operational, go to the Network pane of System Preferences, double click on AirPort, head to PPPoE and make sure Connect Using PPPoE is unchecked. Now click on TCP/IP and make sure the drop down list next to Configure IPv4 says Using DHCP. Close System Preferences and see if you get further. :)

Rug13y

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2006
mad jew said:
Assuming your wireless network is operational, go to the Network pane of System Preferences, double click on AirPort, head to PPPoE and make sure Connect Using PPPoE is unchecked. Now click on TCP/IP and make sure the drop down list next to Configure IPv4 says Using DHCP. Close System Preferences and see if you get further. :)

Hi Mad Jew

Tried all that but the Airport box status at the bottom says 'not associated with any network'.
In the server details box, it asks for server address etc account name and password but dont know what the server address is? What am i doing wrong?
I am with optusnet by the way, thanks

By the way where in Oz are you? Im in WA.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, you're not on the network yet so don't worry about those server boxes etc. I always thought it'd connect automatically, but apparently not.

If the little dot next to AirPort in the Network pane isn't green, select AirPort and click Connect down the bottom. Assuming you're in range of your wireless network, this should give you a prompt to enter your password (if there is one) and then it should connect you to your network. Does this help? :)

I'm down in SA, but heading over to Perth again in the next few months. :cool:

Rug13y

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2006
mad jew said:
Okay, you're not on the network yet so don't worry about those server boxes etc. I always thought it'd connect automatically, but apparently not.

If the little dot next to AirPort in the Network pane isn't green, select AirPort and click Connect down the bottom. Assuming you're in range of your wireless network, this should give you a prompt to enter your password (if there is one) and then it should connect you to your network. Does this help? :)

I'm down in SA, but heading over to Perth again in the next few months. :cool:

Nar nothing. Tried it all I think. Its getting really frustrating now and the Netcomm manual is a joke. Nothing for thickies like me to understand how to set up. Looks like ill have to waste $150 to get somebody out to do it. :(

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
From another thread:

Regarding planning for security, I actually keep SSID Broadcast disabled and use MAC Address filtering on my router, only allowing access by known addresses, both to give just a little more security as I live in a city and can see 8 other networks.

That, along with 128-bit WEP, is not foolproof, but it all does make the network a little more difficult to hack wirelessly. If all of your hardware supports WPA, all the better.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
So just to ask for clarification... the airport icon at the right of the toolbar, its not a cone shaped icon, its a set of grey bent lines? If you click on it, what do you see? It might be that you are out of range.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
mad jew said:
That PC you mentioned before, is it connected to the router wirelessly? Do we know the wireless network is broadcasting properly? :)

FWIW, when I got my new wireless modem/router the password it needed to connect was the numbers from the back of it and then after the first time I could change it. Took about a half an hour and a call to the phone company. I know how it feels to be sooooo close but a click away, good luck.

kyleaa

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2006
airport.png

The section right below airport on/off lists the available wireless networks. If only "other" is available, that means that you are either a) out of range of the router, b) the router is not broadcasting properly, c) your airport is turned off, or d) the router has SSID broadcast turned off.

If all else fails, look in the router manual for a reset button or procedure to restore the router's defaults - if no computer can connect to it from default, then the router has serious issues.

Rug13y

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2006
netdog said:
From another thread:

Regarding planning for security, I actually keep SSID Broadcast disabled and use MAC Address filtering on my router, only allowing access by known addresses, both to give just a little more security as I live in a city and can see 8 other networks.

That, along with 128-bit WEP, is not foolproof, but it all does make the network a little more difficult to hack wirelessly. If all of your hardware supports WPA, all the better.

Please translate? :D :eek:

Rug13y

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2006
mad jew said:
That PC you mentioned before, is it connected to the router wirelessly? Do we know the wireless network is broadcasting properly? :)

The pc is connected by ethernet cable. :)

Rug13y

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2006
kyleaa said:
airport.png

The section right below airport on/off lists the available wireless networks. If only "other" is available, that means that you are either a) out of range of the router, b) the router is not broadcasting properly, c) your airport is turned off, or d) the router has SSID broadcast turned off.

If all else fails, look in the router manual for a reset button or procedure to restore the router's defaults - if no computer can connect to it from default, then the router has serious issues.

Yes thats exactly whats happening Kyleaa. It just lists 'other' then I click on that and it wants me to input data.
So if the modem isnt broadcasting, could it be that its switched off?

Rug13y

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2006
kyleaa said:
airport.png

Yes thats exactly whats happening Kyleaa. It just lists 'other' then I click on that and it wants me to input data.
So if the modem isnt broadcasting, could it be that its switched off?

Underneath of the modem (this one by the way)
netc-NB1300W.jpg

There are 2 white labels.
One says the model name then below that on the 1st label it say:

F/W: V6.109.5WD

s/N a barcode with a long number under that.

The 2nd label is a barcode with this on the top:

MAC adress: 0009F375D7CA

Does this mean anything?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.