Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imbored

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2005
I was loading some cds onto my computer when I ran into some trouble with my ibook g4 (late 2004) cd drive. It wouldn't eject the disc. It would make the noise and spit the disc out only a fraction, and then suck it back it. After troubleshooting and looking online for a while, I tried waiting for it to spit it out and then turning off the power so I could take it out. When I pressed eject this time and turned off the power, the disc came out before the computer turned off.

I thought I was really lucky. I then loaded another cd, and was succesful. It ejected normally. However, now whenever I put in a CD the drive sucks it in, makes a weird noise, and spits it back out. I tried resetting the PMU and this didn't help. Any suggestions before I take it to apple to get it fixed?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
imbored said:
I was loading some cds onto my computer when I ran into some trouble with my ibook g4 (late 2004) cd drive. It wouldn't eject the disc. It would make the noise and spit the disc out only a fraction, and then suck it back it. After troubleshooting and looking online for a while, I tried waiting for it to spit it out and then turning off the power so I could take it out. When I pressed eject this time and turned off the power, the disc came out before the computer turned off.

I thought I was really lucky. I then loaded another cd, and was succesful. It ejected normally. However, now whenever I put in a CD the drive sucks it in, makes a weird noise, and spits it back out. I tried resetting the PMU and this didn't help. Any suggestions before I take it to apple to get it fixed?

If you have applecare, they'll fix it for free. If not I have a combo drive from my 12" pb that I'll sell you cheap. The drives do go bad after a while.

imbored

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2005
I got it working. I just poked a paper clip in and ran it back and forth and now its working. Pretty weird. Anyone have any idea why it happened?

imbored

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2005
it wasn't like i was just randomly doing it. I was checking to see if anything was blocking it or stuck in it.

I'm going to make a hypothesis on what I think went wrong from my experimenting. I hypothesize that there is a springloaded contraption that physically pushes the disc out when it's being ejected. I pushed it and it kind of clicked and I think that's what fixed it. I think before when I put my disc in, it would push against the disc even when it wasn't supposed to, and this kept the disc from spinning. I'd imagine that beforehand it wasn't pushing at all and that's what kept my disc it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.