Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shoemaker_m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2003
st louis, mo
Hello folks. Just wanted to stop in a say hello. Im a frequent lurker and Ive decided to join the fun. Currently, I have a dual boot Dell Inspiron 5000(XP, Redhat 8). I do most day to day type activities in xp and development efforts on the linux side. Quite frankly, rebooting all the time is a freggin pain. Ive been considering getting a new Powerbook. At the moment with all the grief about ship dates for the PB17, my purchasing will not take place until the desired machine is in stock. From a consumer standpoint, I think it is absurd that Apple "released" the 17 and is holding everyone off for months likely. From a corporate standpoint its somewhat brilliant. Mac fans around the world are awaiting these like children await santa on christmas eve. Its like the > 3K price tag is not important.

Anyway, to my real question. If I were to make the plunge, what kind of performance differences would I expect in the 15Ti vs the 17. Im of the opinnion that a new 15 will be released and Im just wondering if its worth waiting for. The current 15 could be had a quite a discount if another 15 appears in the near future. Anyway, just curious what your opinions are. Thanks for reading my long post.

nanosound

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2002
I think the new 15 will be a lot like it's bigger sister the 17. So if you like FW800 and an illuminated keyboard, and anodized aluminum frame, I would wait.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by nanosound
I think the new 15 will be a lot like it's bigger sister the 17. So if you like FW800 and an illuminated keyboard, and anodized aluminum frame, I would wait.

Coupled with the fact that the 17" Powerbook hasn't begun mass shipping, this is the reason why updated 15" Powerbook won't arrive. There are too many people holding out for updates, that no one is buying the old 15" model. So, if you want to take one for the team and clear some old inventory.....

Seriously, wait. It's good to get all the extra features. Someone will buy the old Powerbooks, just not you. :D

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Re: Potential Powerbook Owner 15" vs 17"

Originally posted by shoemaker_m
what kind of performance differences would I expect in the 15Ti vs the 17.

Pure speculation.
When the 15" AlBook is released my guess that it will be much like the 17" powerbook. The illuminated keyboard, fw800, airportX... all the dazzles, but I'd also expect to see I slight bump in the cpu. The 1GHz TiBook was released at the end of November? (i think..?) This is the year of the laptop.. so who knows. My guess we'll see it before its due.. Aprilish maybe sooner. There's no doubt that the 15" AlBook is ready, but they have to deplete the current stock of Ti's.. when that happens we'll see it.
It's up to you, can you wait two months?

finchna

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
Re: Potential Powerbook Owner 15" vs 17"

Originally posted by shoemaker_m
my purchasing will not take place until the desired machine is in stock.

what kind of performance differences would I expect in the 15Ti vs the 17. Im of the opinnion that a new 15 will be released and Im just wondering if its worth waiting for.

Hi. The specs on the apple web site for the 15 and 17 follow--perhaps CPU speeds will change, but who knows. I don't think you'll see much performance difference as the insides are similar. I've read that there may be a bit of a hit on video in the 17" (compared to the current 15" tibook) because the video card isn't as good. The 17" will give you more screen space, but perhaps at the expense of portability--i can't fit those dimensions in my backpack (inside a protective sleeve), but I can fit the 15". I own the 1G TiBook and it's a great machine--I upgraded from an iBook and the difference is astounding.

I suppose the question is truly how long can you wait. If you can put off your purchase for several months you might want to wait until the next revision of the Al machines so they work out the bugs, if you want it now and the bells and whistles of current machines aren't necessary then the 1g TiBook might meet your needs.

Nathan

-------

15" Ti

15.2-inch TFT Display
1280x854 resolution
1GHz PowerPC G4
1MB L3 cache
512MB SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA/66
SuperDrive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000
64MB DDR video memory
Gigabit Ethernet
FireWire 400

AirPort built-in
Bluetooth optional
DVI & S-Video out

17" Al

17-inch TFT Display
1440x900 resolution
1GHz PowerPC G4
1MB L3 cache
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA/100
SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go
64MB DDR video memory
Gigabit Ethernet
FireWire 400
FireWire 800
AirPort Extreme built-in
Bluetooth built-in

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
guys you seem to forgeting that the new Powerbooks will run at 167 MHZ bus and not the current 133 with SD ram. If i were getting one, id look at those two factors aside from airportX, FW800, Alu design and illuminated keyboard.

Tyler

finchna

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by TyleRomeo
guys you seem to forgeting that the new Powerbooks will run at 167 MHZ bus and not the current 133 with SD ram. If i were getting one, id look at those two factors aside from airportX, FW800, Alu design and illuminated keyboard.

Tyler

Thanks for that information--couldn't see it on the site, did find it on the pdf spec sheet (probably should have known from the memory spec). I suppose the ATA speed will also impact the performance positively.

Nathan

shoemaker_m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2003
st louis, mo
I guess the obvious upgrades would be the features that don't exist in the 15" Ti PB. The features that are upgraded are more on par with what im talking about. Processor Speed is probably the least important thing to me personally. Video Card performance is probably the 2nd least important. Im not a gamer nor am I a graphic guru. With that being said, why would Apple "upgrade" with an inferior graphics card?

Im very worried that the 17" is too big. Once the apple store gets them in, Ill run out and "test drive" it. I too carry my laptop in a backpack. My 15" Dell barely fits in the laptop sleeve.

I guess I was wondering if anyone benchmarked a 17" vs the current Ti PB?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.