Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greggumz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Hello, I have a 4 Gig Ipod Mini, I bought it in August of 2005, and a few months later the Nano, and Video came out. I was dissapointed I had no idea they were coming. I am ready for an upgrde to a new iPod, but I dont want the same thign to happen. So how long do you guys suggest I wait for the next gen to come out, in the past hasn't it been atleast once a year?

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
I wanted to get a true video iPod the minute it comes out, but then I realised that I don't really need the bigger screen, as I could just get those cool goggle things you wear, and it is equivalent to watching a 30 inch screen at a distance of 2 meters, with stereo sound. The only thing that would really make me want a true video iPod is the possiblity of an extended battery life and a bigger HD;)

Hytower77

macrumors regular
dextertangocci said:
I wanted to get a true video iPod the minute it comes out, but then I realised that I don't really need the bigger screen, as I could just get those cool goggle things you wear, and it is equivalent to watching a 30 inch screen at a distance of 2 meters, with stereo sound. The only thing that would really make me want a true video iPod is the possiblity of an extended battery life and a bigger HD;)

Just a question...I see this all over this forum...it needs extended battery life this and that...

What are you thinking as reasonable for this kind of device? I'm just curious, I've got my 5g and it can go almost 20 hours playing. (I know hardly anyone doesn't skip a song) It does what it is advertised.

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
I think before Christmas there may be a 6th gen out. IF not then Q1 of 2007. But I think September 12th is going to be the date of the new Nano. Because apple is haveing a "Free iPod for students who order a new mac untill September 16th" and I think that might be them trying to get rid of the old nanos. Maybe they will annouce the 2nd Gen nanos September 12 and wont ship untill after the 16th or something.

Anyway, I imagein SOME kind of new iPod by Mid September.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Hytower77 said:
Just a question...I see this all over this forum...it needs extended battery life this and that...

What are you thinking as reasonable for this kind of device? I'm just curious, I've got my 5g and it can go almost 20 hours playing. (I know hardly anyone doesn't skip a song) It does what it is advertised.

If it's going to be a true video player, though, it really needs to have a longer battery life than 2 hours (for the 30 GB). As it is, you can't really choose to watch a movie without first making sure it's completely charged. The greatest thing about the iPod is that I can choose to listen to any song pretty much anytime I want to. That's not true with the video on the 5G. You really have to make sure the unit is charged enough first.

fenixx

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
I'm thinking:

Nano Refresh in Fall (within the next couple of months)
+ Some new design element (possible colors)
+ Size Upgrade

iPod 5G Refresh in Fall
+ Only Size Upgrade

iPod 6G in Q1 2007
+ "True" Video iPod

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
fenixx said:
I'm thinking:

+ Size Upgrade

iPod 5G Refresh in Fall
+ Only Size Upgrade

iPod 6G in Q1 2007
+ "True" Video iPod

I was going to say that too. We may get a slight redesign of the 5g though just before xmas.

tomrodgers

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
ipod 6th gen - wi-fi enabled?

Just wondered if anyone had heard anything regarding possible wi-fi compatability with a 6th gen Ipod, something along the lines of what archos are putting in their new players alowing you to stream movies and share across and surf the web. Seems like they'd have to do something like this if they wanted to stay as market leaders with the number of free wi'fi hotspots around these days.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
I'm thinking:

+ Size Upgrade

iPod 5G Refresh in Fall
+ Only Size Upgrade

iPod 6G in Q1 2007
+ "True" Video iPod

The full size iPod definitely have an upgrade very soon, between September and October likely to capitalize on the US Holiday season. Despite your thoughts of minimal updates leaving the 5G intact, I think that much needs to be done to the the full size line of iPods. We are now approaching 2 years old, at the least a major facelift is needed. This is why i think your Q1 launch for the "true video iPod" will be the next iPod update. Refreshing iPods for a 2 month span also doesn't make too much sense, and after Holidays is a lousy time to release a new product. A Holiday availability for a 6G iPod (not a 5.75G or whatever that would be called :p) will make a bigger splash for Apple.

EDIT: tomrogers, some users here have been getting on the WiFi train about the 6G iPods, but i have a feeling that will be left to the iPhone for a little while longer. WiFi digs to deeply into iPhone functionality at this point, I see Apple releasing a 6G with iPhone the multi touch screen but beyond that not too much. But hey, bring on WiFi for me, i'll never be getting an iPhone! :)

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
I'm thinking:

+ Size Upgrade

iPod 5G Refresh in Fall
+ Only Size Upgrade

iPod 6G in Q1 2007
+ "True" Video iPod

Sounds like what Apple will do. If they really wanted to makes MASSIVE money before Christmas then the 6G should come out, I could see hype very very high with that, but still lots of uninformed consumers will purchase a size/battery life upgrade for loved ones at Christmas who don't care/know about 6G.

DeeGee48

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Havertown, Pa
6G iPod Form Factor

Good ideas here, guys. Some of the basic things I'd like would be at least 12OGB and Stereo Bluetooth. And yes, I'd LOVE Sirius/XM too!! And naturally, it must have the optical-glass touch screen of the iPhone (or the rumored 'rear touch' version), Cover Flow and so on.

Beyond this, the 6th Gen should definately be video-centric. And THAT brings up my real "want" for it: a Cinemascope 2.40 to 1 aspect ratio screen! They could call the thing the "iPod Palm Theatre" or something. And with at least 120GB's it would hold plenty of movies---AND music. This screen ratio is EASY to achieve: just take a current 5G iPod, turn it on it's side, lengthen the case by approximately 1 and 3/8 inches, and extend the screen---at the same set-back from the edge as on the 5G---across the whole face. Viola! You now have a full 'Scope aspect ratio of 2.40 to 1! All movies, TV shows, videos, etc would play in "constant height" mode with black pillars on the sides if less than 2.40/1. You'd see EVERYTHING as originally made with NO CROPPING! This device would only be slightly longer than an iPhone and way-smaller than a PSP. VERY DO-ABLE, Apple! We WANT it!! And just in time for the Christmas shopping season would be ideal!

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
You know whats hilarious.. you guys bumped this thread which is a year old and we're still in the same situation waiting for a 6G iPod. I guess this shows you should just buy something when you need it and not keep holding out for a new product, because you'll be waiting for a long time.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
You know whats hilarious.. you guys bumped this thread which is a year old and we're still in the same situation waiting for a 6G iPod. I guess this shows you should just buy something when you need it and not keep holding out for a new product, because you'll be waiting for a long time.

Was going to say it but didn't...what's funnier is that people from THIS year quote posts from LAST year - on "a Fall release" - as "definitely."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.