Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
So what do you do when you meet this guy and you've fallen for him completely? All you can do is think about him -- and you NEVER fall for guys like this. Ever. And what do you do when this guy seemed interested in you and like things were going well and now seems so aloof? Oh and have I mentioned the 2.5 year age difference? And that he's that much younger than me? Oh, and that I'll be leaving for college in a month and that I realize completely that this is crazy?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Well, since it seems pretty obvious that it wouldn't work out, I'd say move on, try to occupy your mind with something else, and avoid this guy. In a month you'll be in a completely different environment, and he'll be the last thing you want to think about, trust me.

That, or one-night stand?

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Either have a fling for a month or forget about it. You are moving to college, which is the biggest grounds for dating, hook up etc, so you'll most likely forget aout this guy, and it's NYC.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I'm far from an expert in adolescent romance, but a few things strike me here:

1. You're 18, which makes him roughly 16. At this age, I don't think you can really expect a lot of long-term emotional commitment, especially since he knows you'll be far away in less than a month.

2. You're going to NYC. To college. As much as the loss of this "relationship" might pain you, you're heading to a guy mecca. You won't have trouble finding dates there. Unless you let it out that you're a huge Mariah Carey fan... :p

3. You don't want any ties when you head off to college either.

In the end, this is something that just didn't work out. You're too young to stress about this stuff. Go have fun in NYC and forget about this kid.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
emw said:
You're too young to stress about this stuff. Go have fun in NYC and forget about this kid.

Damn right, that's my biggest regret from when I was that age - too much worryin' about individual women. I'm not sayin' you should be running around with every guy you see, but have some fun, when you do end up finding the right guy you may wish you had run around a bit more in the past.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
livingfortoday said:
Hey, 5 1/2 years is almost 1/4 of my life! Qualifies as long enough in my book!
I know, just giving you crap. Of course, in my mind you should still be "running around" at 23. :D

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
emw said:
I know, just giving you crap. Of course, in my mind you should still be "running around" at 23. :D
livingfortoday said:
Well, that's what my mind says too, but my girlfriend says otherwise.

Funny, my wife doesn't seem to mind too much ;)

You can still 'run around' and have a good time... just not in the same way you used to be able to.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
Give him one good, freaky "schtoop" before you leave for college. Its a pretty good bet h'ell be waitng for you when you get back;)

And yes, NYC is a great place to hook up. College was alot of fun:D

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
I'm speaking from the otherside. A girl who is 2 years older than me fell for me. For a while it was great, we had a good time but then it kinda didn't work anymore. She lives fairly far away and it was difficult. I suppose our tastes were slightly different and she was going away too and didn't want to have connections. It is best if you speak to him about it and then leave it at that. He will think about you but life will move on.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
mariahlullaby said:
So what do you do when you meet this guy and you've fallen for him completely? All you can do is think about him -- and you NEVER fall for guys like this. Ever. And what do you do when this guy seemed interested in you and like things were going well and now seems so aloof? Oh and have I mentioned the 2.5 year age difference? And that he's that much younger than me? Oh, and that I'll be leaving for college in a month and that I realize completely that this is crazy?

answers.yahoo.com

if you don't have an account just make one it takes like 2 minutes. It's free and easy, and usually you get some good advice.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
18/16 is, well, illegal.
But beyond that, it depends on what your philosophy of life is, and not one person on this board can tell you that. Please treat all reponses as "good reading".
But remember this old farmers saying: "What you eat today, walks and talks tomorrow".

ejb190

macrumors 65816
I am getting married this fall - I'm 32, she is 29. Three years don't seem like that much when you get a decade or so down the road, but it makes a big difference in maturity at the age you are.

I didn't really start dating anyone until I was 29. I don't think I missed a thing. I built a solid career and a number of great friendships that I will have for the rest of my life.

baby duck monge said:
Funny, my wife doesn't seem to mind too much ;)

You can still 'run around' and have a good time... just not in the same way you used to be able to.
And Sarah doesn't mind my running around either. A few miles a day helps with the stress and depression and helps keep the weight off!

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
Advice from another 18 year old going to college in a month: don't do it. And why? Because it's hard enough if they live in the same city and you go to college, but going that far away? And as freshman, I think we both can say, there will be plenty of young men to catch our eye at college. You could do a one month fling, but you'd both have to stick to your guns about it. :D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
SamIchi said:
Either have a fling for a month or forget about it. You are moving to college, which is the biggest grounds for dating, hook up etc, so you'll most likely forget aout this guy, and it's NYC.
Don't you mean have a fling with a MacRumors member(s).

We'll either make you forget this guy, or give up on guys altogether. :eek:

Knowing MR members, it'll likely be the later. :p

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
celebrian23 said:
Advice from another 18 year old going to college in a month: don't do it. And why? Because it's hard enough if they live in the same city and you go to college, but going that far away? And as freshman, I think we both can say, there will be plenty of young men to catch our eye at college. You could do a one month fling, but you'd both have to stick to your guns about it. :D

Yes, logic tells me to do that. And anyways, I'm not sure if he's even interested in me anymore. But for some reason, I just can't get over him, despite all my better judgement, my usual level-head concerning guys, all the things that point to "stay away."

Am I just being silly? Should I just chalk it all up to hormones?

I know I should forget it...but it's driving me insane!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.