Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
People who own or have owned both a mountain and road bike:

Which do you prefer and why?

I have had my Specialized Ground Control for about 8 years or so, but have been considering either switching over to a road bike or adding a second bike (this is mostly for fitness reasons). I enjoy riding off-road, but have not had that much time for it recently (and things will get worse once law school starts up next month), but since most of the riding I have been able to do recently has been on-road I thought it would be nice not to be saddled with such a heavy ride.

Thanks!

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
Prom1 said:
Awesome ride! I was looking for something like that. $600 US right? what store, state/city it was located in??

Thanks.
It's $660 at the very well-known Village Cycle in Chicago. It was $600 at our local Trek shop and then he took off $40 to make it $560. The local shop is in the Wheaton/Winfield/Carol Stream/West Chicago area. We're in one of those stupid areas where you can cross the street and be in a different town, then take the road a mile down and be in another town, keep going another mile, yet now be back in the first town. It's freakin' weird.

Daniel.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
baby duck monge said:

I have had my Specialized Ground Control for about 8 years or so, but have been considering either switching over to a road bike or adding a second bike (this is mostly for fitness reasons). I enjoy riding off-road, but have not had that much time for it recently (and things will get worse once law school starts up next month), but since most of the riding I have been able to do recently has been on-road I thought it would be nice not to be saddled with such a heavy ride.

Thanks!
I was deciding between a road and mountain bike and decided on my Gary Fisher because you can ride a MTN bike on the road if you like, even though it'll be slower and heavier, of course, but you can't ride a road bike on the MTN, unless you like your rims warped. That's my two cents.

Daniel.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
baby duck monge said:

Thanks!

If your going to be 100% on the road, get a road bike.. the difference from a MTB is amazing. So sharp, responsive and fun to ride fast.. I love riding my road bike on the roads.. but riding my mountain bike it was a chore.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
XIII said:
If your going to be 100% on the road, get a road bike.. the difference from a MTB is amazing. So sharp, responsive and fun to ride fast.. I love riding my road bike on the roads.. but riding my mountain bike it was a chore.

And it's worse because my MTB is dual-suspension so you lose even more power and it's that much heavier. My concern is that to get something decent I will have to sell my current ride, and I don't want to be screwed when it comes to off-road riding. But since I don't get to ride off-road much anymore, I know I would be a lot happier with a road bike for the majority of my rides.

Anyone know of any decent - but relatively cheap - road bikes?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
XIII said:

I totally agree with this. Let your riding dictate. There's a right bike for every kind of situation. If you enjoy road riding more, by all means, god, a good road bike is sexual bliss. But if you are into singletrack, then that's a different story. :)

Mmm, now I am also seriously thinking about considering training for triathloning in earnest. My swimming was never up to par before, but it's been moving by leaps and bounds this summer. My Serotta was a fine bike, but there are some things screwed up with it, and I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't just look for a new closeout end of season bike. Anything that can take some aggressive riding, with clipless pedals and handlebar mounted shifters, would basically satisfy me. :) So the cost shouldn't be prohibitive.... and might not be that much more than rehabilitating the Serotta....

On the other hand, I weigh 50-60 pounds less than I did when I bought the Serotta, and am squarely in the target market for all the fun stuff that works for us stick figures but doesn't support 200 lb riders all that well! :D

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
I don't have anything special, but it works well for me and I enjoy riding it off road on my trails.

raleigh_m40dx_grey_05_m.jpg

only picture i could find online, looks 100% like mine, except mine is currently covered in mud.

it's the Raleigh M40 DX ( 2005 model )

HckySo

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
turn around
Here's half of our collection, the vintage stuff.
dsc_0057.jpg

dsc_0058.jpg

dsc_0063.jpg

dsc_0065.jpg

dsc_0068.jpg

dsc_0072.jpg

dsc_0073.jpg

dsc_0074.jpg

dsc_0075.jpg

dsc_0077.jpg

I'll post the newer collection later.

My main touring bikes are Raleigh, we have lots of old raleigh UK bikes.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Wow ^!!! :eek:

I really want a Jeep Cherokee or Wrangler bike...Jeep makes sweet bikes. Their AWD (all wheel drive) models for snow/icy conditions are awesome as well!

HckySo

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
turn around
ITASOR said:
Wow ^!!! :eek:

I really want a Jeep Cherokee or Wrangler bike...Jeep makes sweet bikes. Their AWD (all wheel drive) models for snow/icy conditions are awesome as well!
I road a Jeep AWD, it was really nice but you could probably do better for the price. Disk brakes are great, Derailleurs suck but hub shifters are no longer I guess so people can make better wheels without having to change the rim and spokes for the larger hub. The Jeep bike if I remember correctly was heavier than I anticipated, that changes the ride drasticly. I don't remember quite well though, I've riden so many bikes. It was sweet looking, but I didn't buy it, it wasn't good enough of a deal at the bike swap/show.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Nice bikes, folks. Here's my ride currently ('04 Jamis Dakar Sport):
DSC04850.jpg

And my dream bike (Santa Cruz Nomad):

Attachments

• nomad_large.jpg
    nomad_large.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 341

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
Santa Cruz does make nice bikes, but I think I would go with Ellsworth if I was going to spend big.

About the person looking to buy a road bike, I am in the same situation, and I have been looking at the Cervelo Soloist. Team CSC uses bikes like these in the Tour, and you can pick one up with Ultegra for $2200. Pretty good price for Ultegra 10 spd., and a bike that for the road and the occasional Triathalon or TT. Bobby Julic won Paris-Neice ('05) on this same bike, stock.

Has anyone heard anything more about these?
http://www.cervelo.com/bikes.aspx?bike=SLT2006

Attachments

• 2006_Cervelo_Soloist_Team.png
    2006_Cervelo_Soloist_Team.png
    162.7 KB · Views: 392

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2005
I just got a new Diamondback Coil EX about a month ago, and I really like it! It's a really nice bike, especially for being one of those discount-made-in-China models. Mine's like the one pictured, except it's orange.

05-DB_CoilEX-Silver-f.jpg

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
Btw, I plan to buy a BMX bike soon. Is it suitable for me? I'm 19/20 and probably going to use it for uni.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Well, I finally went ahead and converted my road bike to a fixie (car crash destroying the rear wheel gave me a reason to get a new rear hub!), so here are some pictures.

P1010467.jpg

newcog.jpg

It's my daily commuter for all seasons, though I will be getting studded tires when it starts snowing more. Cheap eBay frame, too.

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
I got one of these about a year and a half ago, I haven't used it nearly enough as I thought I would :(
05P2_l.jpg

My brother has a DK Six Pack, I'll look for pictures of the actual bikes we own, and not just the product shots

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
my puch conversion..

adding sugino 75 cranks next week and hopefully painting it a beige or white color..

Very nice. I have an extra frame that I'm gonna build up from scratch into a fixie, but until I get the money I'll have to settle for my crazy-lookin' conversion I'm riding now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.