Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Hello all,

I have a method (trademarked and patented ;)) that allows me to get the videos that Apple uses as their in-store screen savers out into the real world, where we can all enjoy them... these are the full-res videos that Apple use, not something tailored for their web site. I'll post new videos in this thread as I get them. You can use a screen saver such as SaveHollywood to play them as a screen saver on your Mac.

Here are the videos I have right now... CTRL+click the links and save them to your hard drive:

NEW nano commercial screen saver (41 MB) (2006) (thanks to bigandy for hosting this)

ORIGINAL nano commercial screen saver (32 MB) (2005) (thanks to bigandy for hosting this)

"We can help you do it all" screen saver (157 MB) (2006) (thanks to bigandy for hosting this)

More to come!

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
I get an error opening it through QuickTime. I just wanna watch it. Do I have to use that screensaver program?

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
marissaaa said:
I get an error opening it through QuickTime. I just wanna watch it. Do I have to use that screensaver program?
No. But you should CTRL+click the link and click Download Linked File and save it to your hard drive and THEN play it; trying to play it directly from the web site where it's hosted is Not Recommended.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Yeah, just Option+Click the above links and they'll download just fine.

Thanks a lot for the links! I'm a huge fan of these promo videos.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
i get the same error as everyone else. on both videos.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 269

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
scott523 said:
Haha nicee! Downloading it now as I type. :D
Yeah, I realize now the mistake I made the first time. Won't happen again. I am temporarily hosting the (good) movies on my web site. As soon as we can, we'll get them moved back over to bigandy's site.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Eidorian said:
Works for me just fine in Quicktime 7.1 in Windows. Is there any audio? Otherwise really cool screensaver idea.
No, there is no audio in these, since it's what Apple uses as screensavers and having 50 machines playing the same soundtrack out-of-sync would be just horrible.

If anyone happens to lay their hands on hi-res versions of these movies WITH audio, let me know and we'll see about linking to them from this thread.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Those are awesome, thanks for sharing. Where did you find the videos? I was hoping there was an iMac one.:)

Thanks!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
clayj said:
No, there is no audio in these, since it's what Apple uses as screensavers and having 50 machines playing the same soundtrack out-of-sync would be just horrible.
Wow, I never realized that. o_O

Thanks for that terrifying thought.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
schaef2493 said:
Those are awesome, thanks for sharing. Where did you find the videos? I was hoping there was an iMac one.:)

Thanks!
There may have been, but I didn't obtain it. I get these videos straight off Apple's in-store machines... not tellin' how.

And you're quite welcome. :)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I noticed (back when the Eminem ad was new), that all of the Apple machines were playing the Eminem screensaver perfectly in-sync. Does anyone know how they pulled that off?

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
i'm just starting to upload the working files to my server. i'll notify clayj when they're done so he can mod the original links :)

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
EricNau said:
I noticed (back when the Eminem ad was new), that all of the Apple machines were playing the Eminem screensaver perfectly in-sync. Does anyone know how they pulled that off?
They might have tweaked their screensaver app to launch only on a predetermined schedule, not after x minutes of inactivity.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
bigandy said:
i'm just starting to upload the working files to my server. i'll notify clayj when they're done so he can mod the original links :)
Apple_Demo2.mov is still uploading to MY server, so just wanted to let you know about that, Andy. :) (Do 1 and 3 first, in other words. I'll let you know when 2 is ready.)

Verschoren

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2005
Antwerp, Belgium
does anyone know other sites with apple related movies/ads?

now that mactv seems to be down my weekly dose of apple movies is well.. in serious need of another dose..

:D

Nice stuff!!

bshelly

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2004
clayj,

Thank You very, very much. this will look great on my 20" Widescreen at work.

Also, thanks bigandy for hosting :)

Does anyone know if any more of these exist here or elsewhere?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.