Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
well, still in the process of switching over to mac. got my pci usb 2.0 in, added a 160gb HD BUT....

How do i read or prepare and internal windows98 formatted drive with my mac? i plugged it in and turned it on and it recognized the drive and said it couldn't read it. i chose "initialize" and thats as far as i got. should i have chosen ignore? what am i doing wrong????

EDIT: its a western digital 1gb hd and has a quite a few files on it that i want to transfer. documents, music, etc...

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Toby Goodbar said:
well, still in the process of switching over to mac. got my pci usb 2.0 in, added a 160gb HD BUT....

How do i read or prepare and internal windows98 formatted drive with my mac? i plugged it in and turned it on and it recognized the drive and said it couldn't read it. i chose "initialize" and thats as far as i got. should i have chosen ignore? what am i doing wrong????

Mac OSX can read and write to FAT32 formatted drives. If it said it couldn't read it then it's most likely the "read" permissions were incorrectly set on the drive.

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
i hit initialize but nothing happened except disk utility opened.

how do i change the permissions?

EDIT: disk uitility says the write status is read/write. i reset the mac and the same message appears i chose ignore and nothing happened [guess normal?]

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
well turns out the hd was bunk. cuz i hooked up the second hd from the pc and it just popped up on the screen. it was a quantum fireball HD. western digitals are usually pretty cheap but i always hear ppl have problems with them...

anyway thanx for the help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.