Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starchitect

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2006
Portland Oregon
What I expected:
MacBookPro Guess.jpg

What I ordered:
MacBookPro.jpg

Garden Knowm

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
California
tarjan said:
zadillo: interesting, they said they should be getting more tomorrow to me, but I doubt they actually know. Tysons definitely thought tomorrow was the day, as did montgomery maul. I got my fingers crossed for a 2.33 glossy.

the guys at the apple store in receiving KNOW what is coming IN 24 hours in advance..(even NEW PRODUCT RELEASES)

FED EX makes a trip to the APPLE STORE EVERYDAY..

cheers

BriChi

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
WOOOOHOOOO just picked one up

I just called my local Apple store and they had the $1999 version of the 15". Needless to say i ran right and and purchased it. So far so good. I installed coreduotemp and it seems to be reading the temperature at 56 Degrees C at idle, i ran "yes" in the terminal window and got it up to 80 before i heard the fan which kept it around 75 while terminal was running. Once i shut it off, the temp is back down to 57 right now. Does anyone know if this temp is normal or high for a core 2 duo? If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I'm new here but am pretty good with Mac's, this is my 4th one in the last 2 years and i still use all of them.

suwandy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
muwahahahahha, I will receive a awesomer MBP than anyone of you here.

2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS
Country Kit

Notice the SuperDRive 8X =)

tarjan

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2006
Yes, stores ARE getting glossy screens in. I did confirm that when speaking to the pentagon city mall people.

grappler: if you want the best, get the westinghouse 37w3 and not the dell monitor. its a 37" 1920x1080 monitor that does true 16.7m colors, and can be easily color corrected to a very nice 6500k. The dell and the apple are 262kcolor units with slower refresh rates than the westinghouse. It might be a "tv" but the panel is what matters, and it is awesome. I have the 42" version and LOVE it.

A 37" version as my monotor would just be super cool. cost is 1350 from best buy a few days ago. Find a 10% off coupon or something and you are set.

divigation

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
Stomach Punches at the Apple Store

Called the second Apple store in town this afternoon after receiving verification that my usual store did not get any new MBPs in today and they actually had them! I was so excited, 2.33 put on hold for me until day's end. Finally got there after spending the day giddily awaiting the trip over. Told the man behind the counter what I was there for and he was dumbfounded that I would be told such a thing as them having them in. Goes on for a minute or two before other's ring in and point out that they did in fact take receipt of new MBPs today. Whew, that sucked for a moment, a fellow coworker goes in the back to retrieve my held item. It was so beautiful watching her walk out with the beautiful black box from the back. Then he went to ring up and oops, she brought out the wrong machine, this one is a 2.16, "could you go get a 2.33?" "That is all that was back there." Stomach punch number 2. Two verifications and no 2.33, I was misinformed, gut wrenching! I couldn't believe it. The employee knew how to handle the situation and gave my name to the receiving guys rather than putting me on the notify list (which is surely a mile long at this point). In spite of being on the list I will still call the three stores in town all day tomorrow. Soon. I was looking forward to posting test results to you all, especially since I am on a 3 month old 2.16 MBP that I would be able to do side by side testing on.

The worst part was that the third store, the one I would have called if I had been informed properly, got 2.33s in today and by this evening had sold out. Damn it! Surely tomorrow, please tomorrow. I feel at least lucky to have 3 stores to hassle every day until I get it.

Garden Knowm

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
California

mleary

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
tarjan said:
grappler: if you want the best, get the westinghouse 37w3 and not the dell monitor. its a 37" 1920x1080 monitor that does true 16.7m colors, and can be easily color corrected to a very nice 6500k. The dell and the apple are 262kcolor units with slower refresh rates than the westinghouse. It might be a "tv" but the panel is what matters, and it is awesome. I have the 42" version and LOVE it.

1920x1080 on a 37inch screen?? thats horrible. thats why it is a tv and not a monitor.

xxcool

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2006
Question on the DDR2 memory

I know the DDR2 memory is supposed to work best when installed in pairs, where you can get 128 bit access.

Does anyone here know if I were to purchase a C2D MBP with 3 gig of RAM, would it wipe out this 128 bit access benefit?

Your comment is greatly appreciated. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a 15" 2.33 GHZ but stuck on this decision. I would hate to get the 3 gig RAM option and then find out that I no longer enjoy the faster access you would get in a 2 gig arrangement.

tarjan

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2006
Garden Knowm said:
http://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-...r_1/104-0904282-8119933?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

This monitor is top quality??? is that what you are saying... This is just as good as apple's 30 inch cinema display? BUT bigger? and cheaper??

thanks

That is EXACTLY what I am saying. It is nowhere near as pretty in an exterior sense, but for quality, I love it. Only issue is it is 1920x1080, vs the super dooper res in the 30 in unit, but compare the prices and it is killer. If you need the resolution, then by all means spend the extra cash.

I am using my 42" unit (1599 when I got it) right now in fact, hooked up to my mac mini. xbox 360 also looks fantastic on it, as does my fios hd dvr.

If ultimate image contrast quality is your goal, then I would look into the new dlp sets or go hog wild with a CRT projector (electohome 8111 in my basement, color balanced and fully setup to do 1080p, though at a semi slow refresh rate).

Edit: I have to take one thing back though, it looks like the panel used in the 30 also does support 16.7 mil colors without dithering. They must be using a different panel than I was originally told based on the specs I found. So colorwise, it should be fairly similar and definitely better than the laptops.

mleary

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
tarjan said:
That is EXACTLY what I am saying. It is nowhere near as pretty in an exterior sense, but for quality, I love it. Only issue is it is 1920x1080, vs the super dooper res in the 30 in unit, but compare the prices and it is killer. If you need the resolution, then by all means spend the extra cash.

I am using my 42" unit (1599 when I got it) right now in fact, hooked up to my mac mini. xbox 360 also looks fantastic on it, as does my fios hd dvr.

If ultimate image contrast quality is your goal, then I would look into the new dlp sets or go hog wild with a CRT projector (electohome 8111 in my basement, color balanced and fully setup to do 1080p, though at a semi slow refresh rate).

The whole point have having a big display on a computer is for higher resolution right? My dell 24in has a greater resolution than this thing. It's crap. I'm sure it's great as a TV or XBox monitor, but not for a computer.

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
xxcool said:
I know the DDR2 memory is supposed to work best when installed in pairs, where you can get 128 bit access.

Does anyone here know if I were to purchase a C2D MBP with 3 gig of RAM, would it wipe out this 128 bit access benefit?

Yes it would. The only way to max out the memory AND maintain dual-channel memory access would be to install 2 2GB DIMMs. However, you wouldn't be able to access the full 4GB (I don't know if it'd cut off at exactly 3gb, or if it'd be slightly higher).

bcavanau

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2006
Troy, MI
Daverinfl said:
Hi all, I've been lurking waiting for a MBP update for awhile now, but never posted before.

It seems to me that there are actually very few people that have the new C2D machines already (2 that I can see that have at least said anything yet) so I'm sure the benchmark tests are coming.:) Let Brian get home from work and watch, lets say, Grey's Anatomy.:p Especially questions asking about BTO specs like the 160 GB HD, I think it's safe to say those machines haven't made it to anyone just yet.

I'm still waiting for my Apple Store to call me (I put myself on the list 5 min after they opened on Tuesday for a 2.33GHz 15" 120GB Glossy). I called today (repeatedly) :rolleyes: and they got some 15" in early this evening but no glossy screens.

Has anyone received a glossy screened C2D MBP yet?

Grey's Anatomy is re-runs tonight ;) , so no delay for that.

grappler

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
Garden Knowm said:
http://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-...r_1/104-0904282-8119933?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

This monitor is top quality??? is that what you are saying... This is just as good as apple's 30 inch cinema display? BUT bigger? and cheaper??

thanks

And "2 DVI with HDCP connectors" means this will connect to the dual-link dvi output of the macbook pro?

I think I'll have to find it at a store and take a look. Any other thoughts on the idea of a big, high-quality monitor that would be good for watching movies? I thought the 30" cinema display fit the bill. (I have a small place and want one screen to do it all)

Also, the apple and dell displays are advertised as having 16.7 million colors. Where do you get 262k? And if you have the 42" version, why are you recommending the 37" version?

xxcool

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2006
DDR2 Memory

PygmySurfer said:
Yes it would. The only way to max out the memory AND maintain dual-channel memory access would be to install 2 2GB DIMMs. However, you wouldn't be able to access the full 4GB (I don't know if it'd cut off at exactly 3gb, or if it'd be slightly higher).

Sigh! This is very unfortunate. Is this stupid engineering or what? Why should I pay over $500 for 1 more gig of RAM and end up negating the dual channel 128 bit access benefit?

Should I or shouldn't I????

Please convince me either way.

Thanks.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
grappler said:
Also, the apple and dell displays are advertised as having 16.7 million colors. Where do you get 262k? And if you have the 42" version, why are you recommending the 37" version?

I would think perhaps this is referring to color temperature, not colors themselves.

bcavanau

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2006
Troy, MI
Ok guys....

This thread has grown way to much to keep track of...

I need to know what questions have not been answered.

So far I need to run:

-3D Mark 05
-3D Mark 06 (which several downloads have failed today...so may not see it)
-ATI Tool beta

So, here is the plan. Those that are following my review, please do the following:

Send an email to mbp@charter.net with a list of your questions.

I will put the list together, and post the questions with replies either on another post, or my webspace, depending on how things go.

I have gotten several pm's and I will try to answer them as well, but please do not send me any more...email will be the only way of asking me a question from this point on.

Sorry to have to do this, but It is getting hard to keep track of everything...

Thanks,

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
so does the C2D macbook pro still have that LED pinhole indicator next to the iSight? galleries on apple's website suggest the pinhole is gone (and possibly will shine through the bezel?)

BriChi

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
smartalic34 said:
so does the C2D macbook pro still have that LED pinhole indicator next to the iSight? galleries on apple's website suggest the pinhole is gone (and possibly will shine through the bezel?)

No pinhole, But a green light does shine through when it is active

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.