Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StooHall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Hi,

I've unsuccessfully tried three times to upgrade the memory in my Emac. I have two 128mb sticks (133mhz) of unknown brand that are working fine - but i need at least 512mb.

I've tried three sticks now: One that i had already from an old PC (can't read brand), one Infineon 512mb pc133 stick, and one that i think says 'MXO' again 512mb & 133mhz.

Any of the 512mb sticks don't register. if they're the only memory stick in the mac refuses to start with a single beep - or if there is a 512mb and 128mb stick in, it shows as only 128mb when it's started.

The PC stick works in a PC, and the second two were both brand new. What am i doing wrong? i can't afford to make another bad purchase now!

any help would be appreciated.

cheers,
-s

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Hi,

I've unsuccessfully tried three times to upgrade the memory in my Emac. I have two 128mb sticks (133mhz) of unknown brand that are working fine - but i need at least 512mb.

Step 1: Go to MacSolutions.com

Step 2: Select Emac Memory from dropdown menu

Step 3: Purchase eMac Memory

Step 4: If it doesn't work, send it back for a free replacement

Step 5: Sell the other memory on Ebay to a PC user who doesn't have a finicky motherboard

Macs are notoriously picky about their memory requirements. It is not uncommon for a generic or non-apple-tested stick to fail. The easiest thing to do is buy from a Mac reseller who:

a) Tests their RAM in Macs before they sell it and
b) Offers a no hassle return policy

StooHall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Step 1: Go to MacSolutions.com

Step 2: Select Emac Memory from dropdown menu

Step 3: Purchase eMac Memory...

Thanks for such a quick reply. That would be excellent, however i'm in the UK - and the few sites i found that worked like macsolutions.com were all in the US.

Anybody know a UK supplier?

thanks,
-s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.