Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Hey all. I received my C2D MacBook Pro today and when it arrived it had a little warping just above the DVD drive slot. I called macconnection to ask about this and they offered me a replacement right away... didn't expect that haha.

I was just curious if any other C2D MacBook Pro owners have seen the same issue. It is basically a 2 inch gap between the bottom case and the top case right above the DVD drive area.

Everyone, please post pics of your new C2D MacBook pros (especially from the front) here for comparison. The replacement is set to arrive Monday so I will use the one I have now over the weekend. I will post a pic of mine tonight.

EDIT: I took some pics from work with my camera phone. Not the best quality but you can see what I'm talking about. Also got a shot of my screen... you can see in the pic that the right side is darker. Not really an issue for me but it is there. I was more concered about the gap forming near my drive. Also, it is not heat related as that area of the computer has been cool since I started it.

11-03-06_1245.jpg

11-03-06_1244.jpg

11-03-06_1246.jpg

thebeephaha

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Seattle WA
Hey all. I received my C2D MacBook Pro today and when it arrived it had a little warping just above the DVD drive slot. I called macconnection to ask about this and they offered me a replacement right away... didn't expect that haha.

I was just curious if any other C2D MacBook Pro owners have seen the same issue. It is basically a 2 inch gap between the bottom case and the top case right above the DVD drive area.

Everyone, please post pics of your new C2D MacBook pros (especially from the front) here for comparison. The replacement is set to arrive Monday so I will use the one I have now over the weekend. I will post a pic of mine tonight.

2 inch gap huh... pretty huge. I think you meant 2mm gap.

I have a original MBP and it has a small gap over my hard drive. I think its just how these aluminum cases fit together.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
2 inch gap huh... pretty huge. I think you meant 2mm gap.

I have a original MBP and it has a small gap over my hard drive. I think its just how these aluminum cases fit together.

The gap is not 2 inches up and down but just spans about two inches across the case. I have attached pics for better clarification just in case. Always hard to describe something like this haha.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Well the case is aluminum so yea....aluminum is malleable but wow that is one serious defect (poorly installed rather) there. Better haul it over to an Apple Store ASAP. :eek:

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Well the case is aluminum so yea....aluminum is malleable but wow that is one serious defect (poorly installed rather) there. Better haul it over to an Apple Store ASAP. :eek:

It could be worse haha. I called macconnection and told them the issue and they are sending a replacement overnight for me. Great service! Gaps in the case make me uneasy as I'm always afraid something is gonna find its way into a bad spot while in my bag or something.... yeah, I'm really paranoid.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
It might be that the clips aren't fully seated where the top section sits.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Seeing the gap brought back memories of when I changed out a dead hard drive in a 12" PowerBook. One of the clips got slightly bent and the case had a gap in it because of it. I almost wonder if one of the clips didn't get bent on this one and that is how it ended up being off like that. I tried pushing down on it but it feels snug... not really any give.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Mine is flawless except for a tiny scuff mark on the touchpad mouse button. Needless to say, I'm not exchanging it. :)

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC

Well I have a 15" Alu PowerBook and have the same physical defect (that's if you want to call it one, I don't) and it still works fine after 3 years.

ejeinstein13

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2006
Custom Order

I just got mine and it has the same problem.. I think that they **** them up when they take them apart to do custom orders... Mine has a little gap above the hardrive... In addition to that the aluminium above the release button sticks out more than it should.. it is dented outward.. I don't know what to do... I never would have expected to have this problem with Apple. I think that after having opened the person who put it back together overtightened the screws..

This is horrible

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Chrispy, since every other Mac you've purchased has seemed to have insurmountable problems about which you've complained, with the inevitable outcome of your returning or selling the machine, this doesn't surprise me at all. I would have been quite astonished if you'd received a machine where you couldn't find ANY faults about which to nitpick! I sincerely hope for your sake and Apple's sake that the replacement you receive meets your exacting standards so that you might actually use and enjoy the thing!

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Chrispy, since every other Mac you've purchased has seemed to have insurmountable problems about which you've complained, with the inevitable outcome of your returning or selling the machine, this doesn't surprise me at all. I would have been quite astonished if you'd received a machine where you couldn't find ANY faults about which to nitpick! I sincerely hope for your sake and Apple's sake that the replacement you receive meets your exacting standards so that you might actually use and enjoy the thing!

Sorry Clix Pix but everyone who has commented on this or PMed me has said I should get a replacement or admitted that it was a problem. It is a defect in the casing and for $2,000 it should not have that issue. Also, knowing Apple's level of support, should something happen down the road they would probably ask why I didn't bring this defect to their attention sooner. Sorry but I completely disagree with your comment.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Mine, too. If mine gapped, I'd want it checked out, too - these are expensive, and a case malalignment might indicate other flaws inside the case as well.

Good luck!

iBorg

Hey iBorg. Yeah, that is why I called them actually. I just wanted to see if they would do an exchange at macconnection. When they heard the case was not aligned properly they wanted to do a replacement right away. I was surprised but happy with the service. It was nice to see macconnection actually cared about their customers. Thanks for the luck wishes :)

ejeinstein13

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2006
Warped Aluminium Near Release Hatch

I took some pictures using my cell phone the gap near the magnetic release hatch. I don't know if you can see it but the aluminium above the release button sticks out more than it should. I am going to talk to Apple on Monday above getting a replacement. I absolutly love Apple and there products, however, after having spent 2500+ on one of there machines, I find it unacceptable for the to have flaws in the casing. I bought a Gateway laptop... a true piece of ****.. for about 700.. and it had not imperfections...

Attachments

• DSC00068.jpg
    DSC00068.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC00069.jpg
    DSC00069.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 99

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
Ya i totally agree with you guys. You should get replacements. Heres what i think is going on. Inside the wherehouse where they assemble the macbook pros and macbooks they have a ton of these cases in a certain area of the wherehouse. The thin aluminum cases bend as with most types of thin metals. Now you have the workers assembling these laptops going back and forth getting the parts they need to put the laptop together. Its almost certain that some of the cases are going to get a little damaged when moving them back and forth all the time. They could be laying under a big pile of cases. They put these laptops together piece by piece and each piece probably comes from a different department of the wherehouse.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I took some pictures using my cell phone the gap near the magnetic release hatch. I don't know if you can see it but the aluminium above the release button sticks out more than it should. I am going to talk to Apple on Monday above getting a replacement. I absolutly love Apple and there products, however, after having spent 2500+ on one of there machines, I find it unacceptable for the to have flaws in the casing. I bought a Gateway laptop... a true piece of ****.. for about 700.. and it had not imperfections...

Good for you for talking to Apple about it. I think you should get a replacement. For how much these laptops cost they should be free of these issues. I have a Dell Latitude D620 I got from work that has zero cosmetic imperfections what-so-ever. If we want Apple to start giving a crap about QC then as consumers we have to stand up against this kind of stuff. It may only be a small issue but it is still an issue all the same. Best of luck to you in getting your replacement. Please post back here after you talk to Apple and let us know how it turns out.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I am happy to report that my replacement came free of any case gaps :) I still have some uneven backlighting but nothing severe enough to make a case over it (and yes I know I'm way to picky). If it gets worse I will just have Apple repair it down the road. I'm very pleased with the way macconnection handled this situation. Cheers to them :)

z400central

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006

Mine is the same way. Not as bad though...Not sure if I should take it back as this is my first mac. Will the apple store transfer all my files and programs over?

thanks!

josta

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2006
So for all of you who had gaps in their cases...were your MBPs custom built? It sounds like they were. I'm in the process of ordering (just got my ADC student discount based on fabulous advice from macrumors members) and one thing I'm worried about is if there are manufacturing defects, I thought it was hard to get your machine fixed/replaced...that perhaps these sort of issues fell within specs?

Russellosbor

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Bubble in keyboard??!?!

I noticed this the day after i got my C2D macbook pro there is a slightly incline in the keyboard near the F11 and F12 keys it's not huge maybe 1 or 2 mm but i am worried that i might be close enough to touch the screen... I will post pics later.

Probelm 2 my clock won't hold the time... date works fine but if i restart the comp it always resets to 8:57 am till i go into date and time.

PS. 15inch Macbook pro CTO 160gb hd

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
I got my new MBP this morning - I *love* it. Three complaints, though:

1. I was spoiled by the magnetic closing on the MB, because the MBP's physical latch doesn't close it evenly on the left side. Noticeable gap. Oh well.

2. The bottom of the screen has pretty bad bleeding.. Not *horrible*, but definitely noticeable.

3. It came brand new with a scratch! :eek: :mad: This is the one that irks me. Not so much the scratch itself, because it's pretty small (though it's in a really obvious spot), but the fact that it *came with* a scratch at all.

But.. oh well. Performance is amazing. I know if I b*tched enough, they'd fix it, but I can't really afford to be without a computer while I'm at school.. so..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.