Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigertribe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
The aluminum on my Powerbook is a bit scratched and dull. What do you recommend for polishing the aluminum?

Thanks very much!

Nick

deathjux

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2006
Regardless of the fact that you're in the MacBook/MBP forum, I'll try to help:

The aluminum on PowerBooks (like on the MBPs) is anodized, thus making "polishing" (especially when concerned with more than cleaning crap off it) exceptionally difficult if not impossible.

If it's scratched and dull, you're likely not going to get much results with anything less than replacing the affected parts, but perhaps someone has a better solution.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Regardless of the fact that you're in the MacBook/MBP forum, I'll try to help:

It's the same forum!!

" MacBook & MacBook Pro (60 Viewing)
apple laptops, including older models (iBook, PowerBook)"

tigertribe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Thank you...

This forum is for "apple laptops, including older models (iBook, PowerBook)", think I'm in the right one...

Anyway, thanks for your reply. It's not that bad, I can live with it. It's just such a beautiful little laptop that I wanted it to be perfect.

Best regards-

Nick

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
This forum is for "apple laptops, including older models (iBook, PowerBook)", think I'm in the right one...

Anyway, thanks for your reply. It's not that bad, I can live with it. It's just such a beautiful little laptop that I wanted it to be perfect.

Best regards-

Nick

If you've got some extra cash you can get the casing laser etched. I, personally, wouldn't but some people have.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I don't recommend polishing the aluminum enclosure. To polish off the imperfection on the surface means grinding out the surrounding areas of that imperfection. If you polish out the scratches off our PB, you are scrapping off the perfect areas of PB's casing to make it even with the scratched part.
The better way would be the preventative measure so that you don't introduce further scratches by getting the micro-fiber sleeves from Radtech or Marware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.