Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acidity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I am having this peculiar issue for last couple of weeks.

I installed Skype (updated today with the latest version), and talk with anybody I cant hear their voice but they can hear my voice. I have checked the volume thru System Preference -> Sound and have set everything to high. I have tried using an external headphone with mike as well as the internal mikes that comes with my MacBook but of no avail.

What can be the problem?

the Western zoo

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Aarhus C, Denmark
are you sure your friends have their software set up rigth? :D

once one of my friends found out that his mic wasn't properly plugged in after we hadn't been able to "chat" in a week while I thought something was wrong with my computer...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Have you checked the Skype preferences to make certain the input is coming from the correct source? I'm not sure why, but there is a separate preference to the system preference for audio input.

ToastMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2005
Tacoma, WA
You could also check with your sound or speech preferences to make sure that you don't have a hardware problem. It could be a defective microphone, or maybe your sound card is acting weird with microphone input.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
I can't use Skype on my PB. The speech can't be heard properly at the other end. I tested the microphone with another app and it works okay, but when I was testing Skype by ringing up someone else in the house, they could hear my raised voice through the walls better than they could hear it out of their PC. They use Skype regularly with other people. :confused:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I can't use Skype on my PB. The speech can't be heard properly at the other end. I tested the microphone with another app and it works okay, but when I was testing Skype by ringing up someone else in the house, they could hear my raised voice through the walls better than they could hear it out of their PC. They use Skype regularly with other people. :confused:

Headsets work really well, but the internal laptop computer audio is marginal. If the microphone sensitivity was stronger and the output of the speakers stronger also, you'd have feedback.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Headsets work really well, but the internal laptop computer audio is marginal. If the microphone sensitivity was stronger and the output of the speakers stronger also, you'd have feedback.

When we turned up the volumes, the other person was getting feedback. I'll have to work out how many ordinary calls I could make for the price of a headset. Annoying though, the PC has no problems and the mac does!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
When we turned up the volumes, the other person was getting feedback. I'll have to work out how many ordinary calls I could make for the price of a headset. Annoying though, the PC has no problems and the mac does!

Windows laptop computers are 1.5 inches thick or more, generally. That gives them more leeway in putting in better speakers, etc. Also, the placement of the speakers on Mac portables is toward the rear, which is better for visual style than it is for audio, but maybe a lot of people type with the display a couple of inches away.

Sorry to hear that it hasn't worked out, though. Have you tried the Skype website to see if they have any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.