Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBobcat

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
East Lansing, Michigan
It's much more reasonable to assert that the demographics are basically the same between Mac users and PC users (and quite a few people use both). Given the number of units sold, I don't think the demographics are particularly skewed towards any particular character trait.

What are you basing this on? And how do you know?

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
What are you basing this on? And how do you know?
I don't know. That's my point. I said it's more reasonable to "assert" that the demographics are basically the same based on the number of units sold.

There are Mac users from all walks of life, all ethnic backgrounds, all income levels, and all ages. Is there really a stereotypical Mac user anymore? I am asking.

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
i've always felt sorry for that guy...no one ever buys his stuff (i'm guessing, since he gives it away for free now)

He (the Video Professor) is based here local to me and my sister in-law used to work for his company. She worked in customer service and said that the return rate on his product is so high that were they make money is on the shipping/handling charges and she would get bonuses by talking customers into keeping the product they were trying to return and often by offering additional discs for only $1 to $2. Anyway, after about a year or so working there she had enough and decided to move on with her life and find a better crappy job.

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2006
The 'Mac Guy' was what some marketing person thought would appeal to the commercials target audience.

The PC character was intended to represent the 'WinTel' computers as the 'stuffy' prim and proper 'adult' type computer, and the Mac character was intended to represent the Mac as the young, 'hip', easy going, and perhaps most importantly, trendy computer.

In short, the ads were targeted to appeal to the new office culture where everyday is casual day.. where a jacket and tie isn't a requirement, as well as typical high school and college students.

It seems to have been an effective campaign, if the numerous parodies are any indication.. but Apple would be well advised to end that series of commercials while they're at their peak, and not drag them out for another dozen or more 'episodes'.

A 30 second spot isn't nearly enough time to demo the OS, or go into any great detail about the technical differences between Mac's and PC's as some have suggested.

No.. think of all the commercials that people still remember decades later.. like the 'Wheres the Beef?!' lady from the Wendys commercials.

An effective commercial gives the perspective customer just enough information to wet their proverbial appetite and encourages them to investigate the subject further.. generally by getting a catch phrase related to the product stuck in their head.

Head on.. apply directly to the forehead! Head on.. apply directly to th forehead!

Or in Apples case.. 'Hi. I'm a Mac. And i'm a PC".

The problem with Apples 'Think Different' campaign is that while most people like to think that they 'Think Different'.. not many people want to BE different.

I mean, really.. think about how consumer trends work. A person sees another person driving a cool SUV thing, or wearing a flannel shirt, and next thing you know, L.L. Bean is selling record numbers and Ford can't build SUV's fast enough.

It's probably the main reason 'MacAddict' is changing its name.. since Apple in general (especially since the commercial success of the iPod) is trying to shake that long standing public belief that Mac users are quirky, strange artsy type people.

Which is why the 'get a mac' commercials tapped a young, hip, everyday 18 to 34 year old to play the role of 'Mac'.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
What are you basing this on?

What does a Mac-o-lyte look like? And how do you know?

It's much more reasonable to assert that the demographics are basically the same between Mac users and PC users (and quite a few people use both). Given the number of units sold, I don't think the demographics are particularly skewed towards any particular character trait.

I don't know. That's my point. I said it's more reasonable to "assert" that the demographics are basically the same based on the number of units sold.

There are Mac users from all walks of life, all ethnic backgrounds, all income levels, and all ages. Is there really a stereotypical Mac user anymore? I am asking.

Actually, you weren't asking me about stereotypical Mac users, though you might have assumed that. You were asking me about Mac fanatics. They are who I've been calling Mac-o-lytes for the past 10 or so years. While they're interesting, they're not exactly what Apple should be showing to get mainstream users. We've seen more than a few on MacRumors but thankfully, they're not the majority.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Actually, you weren't asking me about stereotypical Mac users, though you might have assumed that. You were asking me about Mac fanatics. They are who I've been calling Mac-o-lytes for the past 10 or so years.
Well not exactly. I have never before seen the term Mac-o-lyte, and equated it with 'stereotypical'. You've just defined Mac-o-lyte for me and apparently it carries a different meaning.
While they're interesting, they're not exactly what Apple should be showing to get mainstream users. We've seen more than a few on MacRumors but thankfully, they're not the majority.
Actually I agree. Any type of fanaticism presents a cause for concern.

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2004
London, England
Mac

Justin Long is fit - he will be missed! The problem with these commercials is that the PC had all the jokes while the Mac didn't.

soleluna

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2006
could it be

a long shot - but let's just hope beyond hope that Apple is on track for a brand new case design (post perfed metal look) and are retiring the human equivalent of the current case (Justin Long) until the new case design is revealed and then reintroducing Mr. Long's replacement who still says he's a mac etc. If they do it really right, they would have Justin come out and talk with the other 2 people and perhaps even introduce a new PC persona for Vista in the event that it ever really ships.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Yes, those ads are quite mean and for PC people, quite annoying and one-eyed really.

But it seems that things were not so "different" in the 90's after all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHKXijxnLs4

and "internally" it got even worse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUON96jcy2s

But as far as I am concerned, they should hire David Hasselhoff to say in a Baywatch-like scene: "Hi. I'm a PC, and I just love Macs with their Core 2 Duo processors."

You can't go wrong with Hasselhoff!!! :D

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Yes, those ads are quite mean and for PC people, quite annoying and one-eyed really.

But it seems that things were not so "different" in the 90's after all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHKXijxnLs4

It was like that always, not just the 90s, and not just now.

a long shot - but let's just hope beyond hope that Apple is on track for a brand new case design

Why? Is it because Mac Pro and MacBook Pro cases are so incredibly inferior to PC cases?

MrFirework

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2006
Denver, CO
Opportunity

This is a huge opportunity for Apple. It's not that they needed to get rid of Long, it's that they could. All of the ideas about PC "switching", or a new Mac being introduced or a new PC for Vista or a combination for all of these are evidence of this.

Apple is smart. They've let everyone know he's gone (it's even on msn.com), and now everyone is wondering what's next. The people who thought Long was smug are happy he's gone, and anticipating who's next. The people who liked him are interested to see if Apple can find a good, if not better, replacement.

Removing Long, and letting the world hear about it, is the smartest marketing move Apple could have come up with.

Bravo.

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
I thought he came across as an all-round pleasant guy and I don't really understand the 'smug' label he's got. From his point of view, though, he doesn't want to be stereotyped, especially if he wants to be a serious actor. Maybe the ads henceforth will use only the PC guy and instead of comparing Mac and PC side-by-side they'll just go for an all out attack on PC. :(

That's the camp I'm in on this also. I thought he was perfect for the role and contrasted nicely with the PC guy. I personally think that he was concerned for him movie role future if he did these commercials too long.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
while i enjoyed the ads, it was the PC that I really enjoyed. He was funny and interesting. The opposite of what they were going for.

I could do without the snotty little brat they had playing the Mac.

I often found myself rolling my eyes at the commercials because of that guy. take off the hoodie and get your hands out of your pockets. wanker.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Good show Justin. Those ads are lame lame lame. All apple's ads are stupid. Why can't they do some high tech cool looking ads. I will never understand apple marketing. Bunch of idiots.

High tech cool looking?

I think the current Apple ads are brilliant. In a way they did create a strong response in you, the viewer, no? The response may be bad for some, but Apple doesn't need more switcheurs. Much of the PC using crowd will probably relate to the same problems highlighted by the "PC" and find Apple's ads funny.

The ads must be so not working, because Apple has never sold more computers ever before.

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
"Hey I'm iPod" "And I'm Zune" "You know we are very much the same" "Yeah we both play music and video but we retain a lot of what makes us, us.."
:)

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
The shock of the new always perplexes some people, even if it's just in the sense that there is "no more of the same."

Once upon a time, there was no Justin Long. And now again, there is none. Life goes on (at least for the rest of us).

bertyee

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2006
Boston, MA
Justin Long

Whether you like Justin Long's Mac character or not, you have to admit that the Apple commercials are much better than the old boring Jeff Goldblum voice-over ones.

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Justin Long himself RESPONDS; He is not quitting Mac Ads

The rumours of Justin Long's demise as "Apple guy" in the Apple Get A Mac ads are WRONG according to Justin Long:

This just in (from Justin Log himself on his official web site), he states in a post today entitled "Just To Clarify" on the main Portal page... Justin is quoted as saying:

"as for the mac commercials, i don't know where that report came from that said i wasn't going to do anymore - i literally setting my alarm right now to wake up for a mac shoot tomorrow - if i'm not doing anymore i guess i can sleep in on my day off - that'd be nice. but yeah, we're doing some holiday spots now which i think will be pretty funny - not nearly funny enough to justifiy the money they're paying me though, i'll be honest with you. as for the future, i really don't know what i'm going to do - i'm surprised, frankly, that the campaign hasn't become tired and they've just ended it on their own - but i try to live as much in the present as i can considering the future doesn't exist, i'm not really sure. they're easy to do, i love john (the pc guy) and working with him is so effortless and fun that i definitely wouldn't rule out doing some more - and, as i said, they pay us nicely."
- Justin Long wrote on 11/13/2006.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.