Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seanr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
do you need the internet for a ipod or is that just if you want to download off the itunes store. I will not have the internet much longer but have lots of cds I could move to a ipod. Would I need the internet to do this? Thanks

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
You can rip CDs using iTunes just fine without the Internet, although it is helpful if iTunes can connect to the CDDB database to automatically tag the ripped CDs with correct song titles and other info...saves a lot of work on your end. But the only thing you really need the Internet connection for is iPod software updates and restores.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
You can rip CDs using iTunes just fine without the Internet, although it is helpful if iTunes can connect to the CDDB database to automatically tag the ripped CDs with correct song titles and other info...saves a lot of work on your end. But the only thing you really need the Internet connection for is iPod software updates and restores.

I'd hate if I'd have to type in all the CD artist/album information manually.. coz if you don't, all songs on your iPod will just be "Unkown Album", "01 Unkown Song" or something like that.. on the other hand, if you just get a shuffle, that wouldn't make any difference ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.