Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Wow this is big! I'm not sure but hasn't it been like forever since Mac had 5% marketshare? Over 5% must put them in the top 5 pc makers? Maybe top 3? This is already huge growth, if they get to 10% or more look out!
The jerks who make viruses for windows will take the time to make them for Mac which would suck:mad:
Great time for us Mac owners:D
daniel

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2006
Wow this is big! I'm not sure but hasn't it been like forever since Mac had 5% marketshare? Over 5% must put them in the top 5 pc makers? Maybe top 3? This is already huge growth, if they get to 10% or more look out!
The jerks who make viruses for windows will take the time to make them for Mac which would suck:mad:
Great time for us Mac owners:D
daniel

From Macworld, Oct. 19th 2006..

According to IDC’s report, the growth puts Apple’s market share at 5.8 percent (fourth place overall), ahead of Toshiba at 4.2 percent. Dell topped the U.S. market with 31 percent, but suffered a negative growth rate of -6.7 percent. The top 5 is rounded out by HP with a 22 percent share and Gateway with a 6 percent share.

Tehy

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2006
Finland
This sounds great! I hope that some game developers would now start to make some only for mac games!

From Macworld, Oct. 19th 2006..

According to IDC’s report, the growth puts Apple’s market share at 5.8 percent (fourth place overall), ahead of Toshiba at 4.2 percent. Dell topped the U.S. market with 31 percent, but suffered a negative growth rate of -6.7 percent. The top 5 is rounded out by HP with a 22 percent share and Gateway with a 6 percent share.

Apple's 5.8% marketshare would be far higher if it wasn't for the corporate bulk-buying of PCs for business; plus all the end of line, bargain-basement PCs that may figure in any such report.

fotografica

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Boston
Great news to hear! And hopefully most people considering switching,won't read c/net reviews :D Their review on the new C2D Pro is a good laugh..a major con being that it doesn't have a media card reader,lol...

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
I think we can see it all around us that people are switching. Im a recent switcher myself and have had 2 Macs now in 12 months.

What im interested in though, is what effect Vista will have on the rate of switchers. Its fairly easy to get a casual PC user to switch on eye candy alone. Will this work when Vista out eye candys OSX?

fotografica

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Boston
It may out eye candy OS-X,but it's still Windows. If you put a dress on a pig,it's still a pig ;)..Not to mention the fact that a large % of PC's out there aren't even capable of running it.So if somebody has a choice to make of either getting a new PC to run Vista,or switch to OS-X??Things could get interesting this coming year...

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
It may out eye candy OS-X,but it's still Windows. If you put a dress on a pig,it's still a pig ;)..Not to mention the fact that a large % of PC's out there aren't even capable of running it.So if somebody has a choice to make of either getting a new PC to run Vista,or switch to OS-X??Things could get interesting this coming year...

That wasnt my point. Im saying one (big) avenue for switching is closed.

Another one has opened though with Paralles/Boot Camp. It offers a no risk means to getting a Mac and not necessarily OSX.

fotografica

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Boston
ahhh,ok.misunderstood..You bring up a good point..I think if more Windows users realize that you can run XP natively on Macs now,they may be more likely to switch knowing that they still have their "security" blanket..

I think we can see it all around us that people are switching. Im a recent switcher myself and have had 2 Macs now in 12 months.

What im interested in though, is what effect Vista will have on the rate of switchers. Its fairly easy to get a casual PC user to switch on eye candy alone. Will this work when Vista out eye candys OSX?

Initially perhaps not as great as M$ would wish. For starters, the 6 versions of Vista will be plain confusing for many less-savvy PC owners. Particularly for those with PCs which are in that grey area whereby, for eg. they'll be able to run Vista starter, but not necessarily Vista basic; or they can easily run Vista basic, but Vista premium might struggle, etc. (Similar confusion will abound for some small businesses faced with Vista business or Vista enterprise). Most PCs won't of course be able to run Vista ultimate.

Then you'll have every hacker in the world subjecting Vista to all sorts of viruses, & currently it's anyone's guess as to how well Vista will cope with the waves of attacks. Added to that you'll have some inevitable bugs, which a Vista SP1 or SP2 may finally fix some 12 to 18 months after launch. Also, you'll have the considerable expense of Vista, particularly when compared to Leopard, & the launch of Leopard sometime in spring 2007 with all the favourable comparisons for Apple that will bring.

So IMO, if M$ gets their product right on a number of levels (& there are so many variables here), then yes, Vista probably will have a major effect on the number of switchers eventually. But I think Apple could continue to increase marketshare at a good rate for some 12 months at least, if not beyond. - (Also, wouldn't be a bad idea to get dedicated graphics inside some of the consumer-priced Macs most likely to appeal to switchers).

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
One thing that is important to investors is the ranking of units shipped (in comparison to other companies.) Apple is currently 4th behind Gateway -- but VERY close!! Q4 2006 should bring Apple to the 3rd place for US shipments in America, behind Dell and HP. That will turn a lot of heads. Q3 Shipments

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
After reading the MS Tech-Net Flash, I get weekly, and how my company will have to license Vista/Office 2007, neither will be purchased. It is now my mission to have a ~90% Apple environment (1200 plus users) by 2010. I have already introduced Mini's in place of thin clients. They are a huge hit. If Apple stays on course, they CAN make big inroads into corporate markets they have not had before. Vista....who cares.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.