Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Hi, for those who dont know im a freshamn in hugh school and i take an advacned art class. We have to make a parody of the nighthawks painiting and i am doing it on the computer. I have realized people here are generally very helpful, so please critique my creation. Im 14 so my parents jsut say its ok, and leave. i will say that the "jail" part was originallymade as a joke at about 12 at night to keep me going , but i kinda lik eit and so does my teacher. Sorry the image quality is low, it cant ecide the 271 kb and is actually about 2 mb. if you need the full quality image tell me.
I did the background in bryce and put the images in in photoshop. i made it all from scratch. thanks alot.

Here is the picture:
Feel free to critique HARSHLY

Attachments

• nighthawks.jpg
    nighthawks.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 237

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
I think it's really great -- congrats to you on your hard work!

What would happen if you put the Mona Lisa in jail and the screaming woman in her place? How would it be different? I wonder if it would be "better," "worse," or just different?

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
I think it's really great -- congrats to you on your hard work!

What would happen if you put the Mona Lisa in jail and the screaming woman in her place? How would it be different? I wonder if it would be "better," "worse," or just different?
this issue with that is the picture of the boy in the window, me, does not apepr to be sitting as the mona lisa does, i like the idea though. THanks!

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
i was messing around with some names for the bar, and i am thinking about "Antique Café" any other ideas? Thanks again.

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
VERY GOOD!!! Great work, I really like it.

But for some critique, I think the negative space shapes at the top and bottom of the image are a little overwhelming. Mainly because of the supersaturated solid color and the high contrast. Remember our eye goes first to areas of highest contrast, brightest, darkest, in-focus, blah blah blah... Once you're up there it's very difficult for the viewer to move back into the 'area of context' because of the hard lines.

My suggestions:
Either add a texture or at least some grain to the solid colors.
Don't use a solid black, some other dark color is fine, perhaps try a gradient to get some lighting effects.
Bring the main subjects (paintings) forward, by reducing the detail around them and don't have them tangent to any lines.

I am only saying all of this because I really like the picture and I think you've got talent. They are just details anyways. :)

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
VERY GOOD!!! Great work, I really like it.

But for some critique, I think the negative space shapes at the top and bottom of the image are a little overwhelming. Mainly because of the supersaturated solid color and the high contrast. Remember our eye goes first to areas of highest contrast, brightest, darkest, in-focus, blah blah blah... Once you're up there it's very difficult for the viewer to move back into the 'area of context' because of the hard lines.

My suggestions:
Either add a texture or at least some grain to the solid colors.
Don't use a solid black, some other dark color is fine, perhaps try a gradient to get some lighting effects.
Bring the main subjects (paintings) forward, by reducing the detail around them and don't have them tangent to any lines.

I am only saying all of this because I really like the picture and I think you've got talent. They are just details anyways. :)

The orange and the green are a bit too saturated. fix the saturation or add some texture in there to make this colours less strong.

other than that, you're doing fine.
Thanks alot, ill work on it, noth suggustions are really good. Thanks again. Any others?

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
looks pretty good. Only thing I can see that could be improved (in my opinion anyways) is the colours as mentioned, theyre a bit harsh compared with the rest of the imagery, although they do work in a kind of tron way :)

The other thing was I think the cropping of the images could be improved a little by just doing a simple feather/fade at the edges to them blend with the scene a bit more - this could just be down to the image you linked to though.
You can see what I mean with the bar and mona lisa, they have a white border/edge around them.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
looks pretty good. Only thing I can see that could be improved (in my opinion anyways) is the colours as mentioned, theyre a bit harsh compared with the rest of the imagery, although they do work in a kind of tron way :)

The other thing was I think the cropping of the images could be improved a little by just doing a simple feather/fade at the edges to them blend with the scene a bit more - this could just be down to the image you linked to though.
You can see what I mean with the bar and mona lisa, they have a white border/edge around them.
ok, thanks. In photoshop can you apply a fileter to parts on a flat image, not all? i didnt think you can, and if you could have no clue how to. Thanks alot

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
Make a selection first and PS will only apply the filter to that part of the image.

Better yet, duplicate the layer, apply your filter, and then add a mask and brush out the parts you dont want.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
The key is to never save your image as just flat - always save the layered copy as well. If you only have a flattened image you can use the lasso or pen tool to draw a path around the area you want to run the filter on. The pen tool will give you better control than the lasso or magic wand. Once your path is drawn activate it as a selection in the path palette and then run your filter. Make sense?

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
The key is to never save your image as just flat - always save the layered copy as well. If you only have a flattened image you can use the lasso or pen tool to draw a path around the area you want to run the filter on. The pen tool will give you better control than the lasso or magic wand. Once your path is drawn activate it as a selection in the path palette and then run your filter. Make sense?

yeah, i realized this, and generally do so. I flateened it to see something, and i think i saved it, a bit of a habit to just do it, and than i restarted from updates open it back up and realize what happened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.