Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sprescott1974

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
question for current iPod owners

So i just got a 14" iBook it has a 20gig drive and between Jpegs and mp3s I've only got about 9gigs left on my harddrive. Now, my question is this, if I had an iPod would I be able to load all my mp3s on it and free-up that harddrive space? That alone would be a huge advantage for my purchasing one, especially if there were a 10 or 20gig model. That way I could store my entire CD collection on my iPod.

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
if I had an iPod would I be able to load all my mp3s on it and free-up that harddrive space?

Well, certainly byte for byte you can transfer your MP3s over to the iPod, as much as the iPod can hold. There are also things you can do to optimize the space the mp3s take up, for instance, some folks use VBR (variable bit rate) when encoding their songs, and this helps to cut back on file size while retaining a resonably high quality. I've heard that a VBR high-quality encoded file set at 160 kbps is comparable to one encoded at 320 kbps, and VBR 128 to a 160, etc. Honestly, my ears can't really pick up the difference unless it's pure vocal or ambient noise (i.e., winds) but VBR should help cut down on size.

Yes, 10 or 20gb would be nice. But I'd rather have 5gb at this current form factor, then have 10 or 20 and have it be all bulky and clunky (Archos, anyone? :D )

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Figures. Right after I went and bought an iPod YESTERDAY!!

I say SpyMac is full of you-know-what.

And I'm just fine with 1,000 songs in my pocket. I don't even HAVE 2,000 songs! And even if I did, I would only want the best ones on my iPod.

Uh...sothere! :p

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Hey, SpyMac means low credibility, but this one is just an easy spike over the net, so to speak. I think they're being way too optimistic in guessing "before March" (you do realize that's less than a week, right?), but now that Toshiba has announced the 10 and 20GB versions of the iPod's HD, I doubt there is any safer guess you could make about a future Apple product.

I'm just wondering if I'll be able to totally void my warranty and replace my iPod's HD myself when I start needing the space. I could also stand one of those 20G drives for my Powerbook. :D

Bophonic

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2001
IT NEEDS AN FM TUNER SO WE ALL CAN LISTEN TO HOWARD STERN ON IT IN THE MORNING... AM I RIGHT???

cryptochrome

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
If quicktime 6's acc audio is as good as they say, it would let us store maybe 33% more songs in the same amount of space. All the more reason for them to make acc available.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Sure double the size would be nice, but the iPod as it stands right now is one hell of a device. I got one and even if they announce a 10gig version as soon as I opened it I would've still had an amazing MP3 player file transfer device.
As far as the price dropping on the 5gig, I doubt it. The 10gig and 5gig drives that are inside it are still the same price, so if there is an upgrade it will mostlyikely be the same price just more storage space.
FM Tuner? Audio input? Great ideas for add ons. Firewire microphone with a good aiff encoder would be sweet. I'd rather see the unit price stay where it is or go lower rather than have extra features that will make it even more expensive.

BTW mymemory, the word is iNput, with an N, as in a signal coming in. Not trying to be mean, it just one of those things that kind of bugs me a little (like I'm sure this correction bugs you).

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Bootability

Mischief--I boot from my iPod about once every two weeks. I boot it into OS 9 and run Norton Disk Doctor and Speed Disk on it. It works perfectly. As soon as I can find my OS X CD (after we're done working on the house), I will try booting from OS X and running Drive 10 and NDD 8 on it.

I have read that Apple is (of course) aware that the iPod is bootable, but doesn't support or recommend it.

Of course, I have to give up disk space to do this, but given how fast the firewire interface is, it would be a piece of cake to add/remove the necessary files when I need them.

I have to admit, I was not all that impressed by the iPod the day it was released. It is a bigger technology advancement than I ever thought.

Chris

-=AsukA=-

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2002
iPod update to soon......

Im currently waiting for my iPod to arive, and while waiting AND reading this thread i got to thinking... the only thing that defines the iPod as a SPECIAL MP3 player is the firewire connection. if apple will put a 10 or even 20 Gig HD in it you have to keep in mind how long it will take to load it up full of MP3's, so if the current iPod takes 10 min's to fill it FULL if MP3's. then a 10 gig HD will take 20 Min and a 20 will take 40min! And as far as apple goes that a little to long... i think once apple pute firewire 2.0 (or gigawire what ever you call it) on there computers THEN we can for sure see a 20 gig iPod with equalizer, and iTunes visuals... say in 1 year....? are there any PEE CEE's out ther with built in USB 2.0? or are cards still the only way to get it? giga wire is 800MBps right? so how long will that take to load 20 gigs? 20 min?

BTW are the ear buds that come with the iPod any good for digital sound? or should i get new ones? i need a experts opinion AKA someone who KNOWS there sound.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
So what happens if Apple creates an iPod "socket"........

We know Apple will do a new case soon. So what if a feature of that case is an iPod "socket" where the present Zip is?

iPod has always taken criticism for its case being TOO clean. But if it's designed to compete with iomega's Peerless system but with Bootability and a native socket............:D :p :eek: :cool: :)

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Very much like that.

Finished of course but yes, exactly. You could keep a "Digital Wallet", bootable and has all your Apple Apps on it. As most computers between home and work have dedicated sets of SW this means you could free up the space used for Apple Apps and the OS. This would explain the easy-access RAID support in the OS X CD.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: iPod update to soon......

Originally posted by -=AsukA=-
Im currently waiting for my iPod to arive, and while waiting AND reading this thread i got to thinking... the only thing that defines the iPod as a SPECIAL MP3 player is the firewire connection. if apple will put a 10 or even 20 Gig HD in it you have to keep in mind how long it will take to load it up full of MP3's, so if the current iPod takes 10 min's to fill it FULL if MP3's. then a 10 gig HD will take 20 Min and a 20 will take 40min! And as far as apple goes that a little to long... i think once apple pute firewire 2.0 (or gigawire what ever you call it) on there computers THEN we can for sure see a 20 gig iPod with equalizer, and iTunes visuals... say in 1 year....? are there any PEE CEE's out ther with built in USB 2.0? or are cards still the only way to get it? giga wire is 800MBps right? so how long will that take to load 20 gigs? 20 min?

BTW are the ear buds that come with the iPod any good for digital sound? or should i get new ones? i need a experts opinion AKA someone who KNOWS there sound.

I found that the iPod gets songs from iTunes at the rate of over one per second. It may be faster for other people, since I did the sampling rate at 192.

As for the stock ear buds, I found that they are a bit week when it comes to base level. I plugged a pair of Koss headphones in ($50 when I picked them up a few years ago) and it makes a world of difference. With those, I am no longer carrying around my cd pack since I have already put 46 cd's into the iPod. I still have room for more, with 1.3GB free (571 songs in it so far) :D.

greg6028

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2002
Cedar Rapids
Re: iPod - FM Tuner

Originally posted by canadianmac
:D What I really want is the iPod with an FM Tuner. Is that to much to ask. Use the current dial wheel as the tuning wheel and allow me to create folders with my favourite radio stations! even I get a bit tired of listening to the Tragically hip and Waylon Jennings.

That's it! That is what is holding me back. I am a little old too, I would like AM too! If they add FM/AM and more up to 10 gig - Apple has a sell for me!!

Think about it APPLE, help us older folks! ;)

dualburn001

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
iPOD

I personally have 200+ cd's so the iPOD would be perfect for me but since I'm cheap ill wait for a price break beacuse $399 is a little to much. If it was $299 then i'd be interested so I'm waitin for a new iPOD to come out so i can buy the old one.

Now on the subject of innovation....what if the ipod had a touch screen???? hmmm.......

Dualburn001

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Re: iPOD

Originally posted by dualburn001
Now on the subject of innovation....what if the ipod had a touch screen???? hmmm.......

Ironically, the controls on the iPod currently are far more innovative than a touchscreen. The jog wheel was a wonderful idea. A touchscreen would be very fragile compared to what's on there currently, and it would be far more awkward to navigate the device.

If you haven't played with an iPod in person, I highly recommend it. The controls are some of the most elegant I've seen on a device like this. One of the best things about Apple's designs is that they seem to understand that bleeding edge technology does not necessarily make for the most innovative solution.

Oh, and it's also kinda neat how the controls are laid out to look like a speaker cone. :)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
The controls on the iPod make it so that you can be using it within seconds. The learning curve is almost a flat line.

From what I have seen of touch screens, like in PDA's, they scratch WAY too easy.

Apple got this one right, first revision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.