Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
O

owl

Original poster
What is going on? For no apparent reason, this computer decided to start making random "booping" sounds this evening. There is no error, it's not the mail, it even does it when I have my external speakers turned off. Anyone else have this going on? This is the first time it has happened and it's been going on all evening. It's making me crazy. I bought it new in February.

Help. :(

-Lela

O

owl

Original poster
I do not have a CD in the drive now. I was using them all day though, as I was working with photos. Yes, it still does it after restarting. :(

-Lela

O

owl

Original poster
I have tried to notice what I'm doing when it happens. I can't associate it with any mouse commands or opening and closing of windows or programs or anything else.
And it doesn't sound like any of the built-in sound choices. As I said in the title, it's best described as a "boop."

I've been very busy on the computer all the day long. It has never napped today - although I'm not at all sure I understand
turning off "napping." I've read some other complaints about using the CHUD tools for that, but their problems did not sound like
the one I'm having.

-Lela

theblotted

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
Los Angeles
the CHUD tools and turning off napping function is the cure for "beeping" G5's. regardless of your G5 naps or not.

do a search here or Apple G5 forums. it's a common cold and good cure.

O

owl

Original poster
Well, that sounds like it's for "beeping" G5s - what about ours
that "boop?" :p

Okay, I'll do some searches.
Thanks.

theblotted

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
Los Angeles
Well, that sounds like it's for "beeping" G5s - what about ours
that "boop?" :p

Okay, I'll do some searches.
Thanks.

lol, i'm not exactly sure what a "boop" sound is.. but g'luck getting that fixed.

btw, CHUD can be found in Developer's CD. once installed, you'll find in System Preference a new icon called "Processors". find "nappinng off" switch there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.