Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I know there were a few threads about using US-spec Macs in Japan. But, I would like to ask about the software side of the issue, because US-spec Macs would be compatible in Japan in terms of power usage and what not.
On my Macs, I have the following software I frequently use:
Adobe CS2, Macromedia MX2004, Corel Paint IX, Alias SketchbookPro, Aperture, MS Office 2004, iWoks 06, and several others such as Toast, Little Snitch, and etc.
I think I may get into problem with Adobe's activation in Japan should I need to reinstall CS2 and MX2004 (so I hope my Macs will stay in good shape without hardware crash).
I kept Japanese as extra language when I did the clean install of OS to get rid of the junks I don't need.
So, now to the question.
Is there going to be issues purchasing and installing software I would purchase in Japan?
Is there going to be problem with Apple's software updater in Japan?
Is there anything I should watch out for?

And, a few questions on one particular software, CS2:
I have CS2 I bought in the states. Is there going to be some issues with activation if I need to reinstall CS2 in Japan when my Mac crashes?
Also, if I make CS2 files (say, PS file, Illustrator file, or InDesign file), can those files be read by Japanese-spec CS2? I think Adobe only sells their CS2 and other software in Japanese version only in Japan.

yoshiii

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2006
If using OSx you shouldnt have any problem with any of the software. Just make sure you can read the Japanese. I have Japanese and American software on my PB Pismo using OSX Runs fine

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
If using OSx you shouldnt have any problem with any of the software. Just make sure you can read the Japanese. I have Japanese and American software on my PB Pismo using OSX Runs fine
That's good to know. I have kept Japanese language along with English and French with my Macs when I ran the clean re-install of OS on my Macs.
So, in general, does Japanese software include English (like showing all manus in English)? OS X can switch around the language setting; but, I am not sure if Japanese software in general is bilingual in English and Japanese.
Do you find the stability of Japanese software on US-spec Mac is as good as on Japan-spec Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.