Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c.hilding

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
ABANDONED ACCOUNT
Wow! That's a great post. I'd heard that contrast ratio and brightness numbers aren't eveything when choosing an LCD panel, but I never know why, or what to look at instead. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the praise, I'm glad to be of service!

This goes out to everyone:

Please rate this thread from 1 (Terrible) to 5 (Excellent) using the voting box in the top right corner of the page, by clicking the small yellow stars to bring up a voting menu.

Locatel

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2006
(Anything less than S-IPS is unsuitable for professional graphics work),

I'm not inclined to take your word for on this subject. There is more to a monitor than the fact it uses S-PVA or S-IPS panel types. I think you are simplifying the whole thing bringing the professional quality factor to one specific issue. The use of an S-IPS panel in a monitor doesn't seem to garantee its level of performance, otherwise the Eizo CE210W would never be a better monitor than the ACD (someone pointed out that it uses a S-PVA panel).

Check this review:http://shutterbug.com/equipmentreviews/software_computers/1006ezio/
ACDs don't get even close to this level of calibration possibility.

I also contacted some experts, and here is what one of them had to say:

"First of all, the entire LCD screen manufacture's primary market is for TV display, and all other specialized models for multimedia, home/office computer and pro graphics are ancillary derivative adaptations. Essentially the panel design variations relate to when they were developed as well as size. The different types of panel technology are produced in slight variation by all of the prime manufacturers, but with slightly different name descriptions, and the same panel types are used in everything from high to low TV models, to consumer computer displays to high-end displays for professional graphics.

What distinguishes these models is what is behind the screen panel. Although all use cold cathode tube backlights that must conform to ANSI standards, there are better versions that can be adjusted for brightness and produce cleaner more consistent light color temperature. But more significant are the components that control the panel and handle the signal received from either a TV tuner, multimedia device, or computer. This is what makes the difference in performance and whether it supports editing photographic images in Photoshop, supports precise calibration and adjustment for accurate profiling, that in some cases triples the price of the LCD."

Judging the quality of a monitor based on the fact it uses a S-IPS panel alone might be a mistake as big as judging it based on its brightness and contrast specifications. You may be right when the comparison is made between Dell and Apple. But I guess not all S-PVA panels are treated the same way, as you've said, there's more than meets the eye when it comes to monitors... (specially professional level ones)......:)

c.hilding

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
ABANDONED ACCOUNT
Sorry for the late reply, I've had a very busy week.

I'm not inclined to take your word for on this subject. There is more to a monitor than the fact it uses S-PVA or S-IPS panel types. I think you are simplifying the whole thing bringing the professional quality factor to one specific issue. The use of an S-IPS panel in a monitor doesn't seem to garantee its level of performance, otherwise the Eizo CE210W would never be a better monitor than the ACD (someone pointed out that it uses a S-PVA panel).

S-IPS panels have better color reproduction, but if BOTH the S-PVA and S-IPS panels have true 8-bit subpixels then the difference is a bit smaller (if you read my first post, you'll see that that's exactly what I said right off the bat). It's still measurable though.

However, Dell made an idiotic move to 6-bit panels to save money and improve the response time of their displays (by having less steps per pixel, 6-bit = 64 positions per crystal, 8-bit = 256 positions per crystal). Again, refer to the first post to read in-depth about the difference between 6- and 8-bits.

The difference now is that Dell's updated 24" display has 262,144 colors (18-bit) natively, while Apple's ACD has true 24-bit, 16,777,216 colors. And that is all the thread was originally about. That Dell's new 2407FPW is useless for photo editing due to it resorting to dithering to fake the other 16.2 million colors. If you don't know what dithering is, Google it.

Another reason for S-IPS panels being the more professional choice is... Viewing angles! When you need several displays side by side, you are hard pressed to use S-PVA panels because they rapidly start to distort at slight angles, meaning that you can't trust the colors of either of your side-by-side displays! S-IPS panels on the other hand are very stable and start to shift at a much wider angle. Again, this is due to the physical differences in the panel layouts between S-IPS and S-PVA, the same differences that give S-IPS more accurate colors, and S-PVA better contrast and brightness.

Check this review:http://shutterbug.com/equipmentreviews/software_computers/1006ezio/
ACDs don't get even close to this level of calibration possibility.

Indeed, you cannot compare the calibration options between Apple's ACD's and Eizo. Apple provides brightness, and the other options have to go through the graphics card, such as setting up an ICC color profile. But Eizo wins out, totally. The test results I linked to pointed out that the actual color output of the two reviewed displays (one Eizo, one ACD) in question were nearly identical, and that's a huge feat for Apple's display. Again, of course you can't configure Apple's display as much as an Eizo display. But then again, Eizo displays cost a lot more, and what other display can you find that's SWOP-certified in the same price range as Apple? Certainly not the Dell, it's a consumer display with little regard for color accuracy. I read a funny thing on these boards a while ago, it's not to be taken seriously and has little to do with this discussion, but it was funny: "The Dell has a lot more connections, but it also has a lot more ugly." [sic]. :)

I also contacted some experts, and here is what one of them had to say:

"First of all, the entire LCD screen manufacture's primary market is for TV display, and all other specialized models for multimedia, home/office computer and pro graphics are ancillary derivative adaptations. Essentially the panel design variations relate to when they were developed as well as size. The different types of panel technology are produced in slight variation by all of the prime manufacturers, but with slightly different name descriptions, and the same panel types are used in everything from high to low TV models, to consumer computer displays to high-end displays for professional graphics.

What distinguishes these models is what is behind the screen panel. Although all use cold cathode tube backlights that must conform to ANSI standards, there are better versions that can be adjusted for brightness and produce cleaner more consistent light color temperature. But more significant are the components that control the panel and handle the signal received from either a TV tuner, multimedia device, or computer. This is what makes the difference in performance and whether it supports editing photographic images in Photoshop, supports precise calibration and adjustment for accurate profiling, that in some cases triples the price of the LCD."

Do you realize what you are quoting him on? It doesn't look like it since what you highlighted in bold is him talking about calibration possibilities. He's saying that what really defines a display is how much you can adjust (calibrate) the panel. He's just saying that the more calibration options, the better the panel. (Doh) And that S-PVA vs S-IPS doesn't matter as much as calibration options (of course not!). This is nothing new in the discussion, so I don't know why you brought it up. (And neither the Apple nor the Dell display can be calibrated beyond an ICC profile so the argument of calibration doesn't apply to these monitors in the first place).

As for the S-PVA discussion, Eizo is actually making more and more S-PVA panels after having developed highly advanced processors that compensate for and improve on the S-PVA characteristics. So the S-PVA inferiority doesn't apply to them, since coupled with their technology it works extremely well and has the benefits of higher contrast and brightness. Yet another reason that their S-PVA panels actually work well is that all their displays work at a much finer precision than what we are comparing here. Eizo displays are in a league of their own and commonly use 14-bit processing while we are looking at one 6-bit (250 thousand colors, Dell) and one 8-bit display (16.7 million colors, Apple) here. That said however, their S-IPS panels are still their top-end and cost hundreds of dollars more at the moment but I expect them to be phazed out due to their huge progress with S-PVA. I hope this explains why we can't use Eizo's S-PVA displays as a testimony to S-PVA in this particular discussion. Only with technology comparable to what Eizo offers will the S-PVA panels become great, and that kind of technology costs more money than either of these Apple or Dell displays. For the money, Apple's 23" Cinema HD Display is extremely good.

Judging the quality of a monitor based on the fact it uses a S-IPS panel alone might be a mistake as big as judging it based on its brightness and contrast specifications. You may be right when the comparison is made between Dell and Apple. But I guess not all S-PVA panels are treated the same way, as you've said, there's more than meets the eye when it comes to monitors... (specially professional level ones)......:)

I am right in the comparison between Dell 2407FPW and Apple Cinema HD Display 23". As I said at the start, the article was only applicable to the Dell 2407FPW and Apple 23" ACD since any other models use different panels. For instance, both Dell and Apple 30" displays use the same LCD panel (LG-Philip's 30") so the difference there is nil, and in favor of the Dell since it provides more extensive on-screen configurability at a lower price, though with "a bit more ugly (;))". But don't think about using either 30" display professionally, as ATD pointed out they both have rapid falloff in color accuracy towards the edges, and you are better off with two 23" ACDs instead.

Like I said in the original post this is solely about the current Dell 24" vs Apple 23". The difference between the old Dell 24" (2405FPW, S-PVA 8-bit) and the 23" Apple ACD (S-IPS 8-bit) was smaller, but now that Dell has crippled their display by removing 16.5 million colors and faking (dithering) them instead, it just can't in any way, shape or form, be used for photo editing. It can't be used for any color-critical applications.

And that is why I made this post, because people on this board kept saying that the Dell is better for photo professionals because it has higher contrast and brightness, and that misconception had to stop. Which incidentally is why I mentioned S-PVA vs S-IPS (to explain WHY it has higher brightness and contrast, that it's a panel trait whereas S-IPS with its lower contrast and brightness has more accurate colors and less shifting instead).

Feel free to get back to me if you have any questions, but I hope this is enough. ;)

Best Regards

c.hilding

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
ABANDONED ACCOUNT
I just found a funny little thing about the lack of HDCP (encrypted HDTV to prevent piracy) support on Apple's displays. Since each HDCP device talks to each other using a secret encryption key, obviously if that key is compromised and leaked anyone could create a device that decrypts a HDCP signal on one end and outputs a clean signal on the other end (without loss, since it's all digital). That has already happened. Just thought I'd mention it even though it doesn't matter much, who hooks up a 23" Apple display to a dvd player? Well, at least now you can... if you get tired of having it as your desktop monitor. :p

Locatel

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2006
Feel free to get back to me if you have any questions, but I hope this is enough. ;)

For sure this is enough! The post is much more interesting now that we agree not all S-PVA are treated equal. You are completely right about the Dell/Apple differences and I agree with everything you said. I brought up the S-IPS/S-PVA discussion after you said "Anything less than S-IPS is unsuitable for professional graphics work", and this could lead to another misconception, after all, there is at least the Eizo exception. We are talking the same language, and your reply straightened things up.:D Very good info.

By the way, the Eizo CE210W is just $180 more expensive than the 23" ACD...:rolleyes:

Best regards, Locatel.

c.hilding

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
ABANDONED ACCOUNT
For sure this is enough! The post is much more interesting now that we agree not all S-PVA are treated equal. You are completely right about the Dell/Apple differences and I agree with everything you said. I brought up the S-IPS/S-PVA discussion after you said "Anything less than S-IPS is unsuitable for professional graphics work", and this could lead to another misconception, after all, there is at least the Eizo exception. We are talking the same language, and your reply straightened things up.:D Very good info.

By the way, the Eizo CE210W is just $180 more expensive than the 23" ACD...:rolleyes:

Best regards, Locatel.

Hey, I'm glad that we understand each other now! ;) I looked into the particular quirks of the model you mentioned and unfortunately it's 1680x1050 aswell as a bit smaller physically (21"). I need 1920x1200 at the least when I work, and all of the 1680x1050 displays I've had so far have felt very cramped for anything but viewing one document at a time sans any toolbars (a slight exaggeration but not by far :eek:). And if they were to increase the resolution it would add a few hundred dollars. But that being said, it's a very nice entry model (and price) for one of the three leading pro-monitor brands! (The holy trinity: Barco, LaCie, Eizo) :eek:

Best Regards

T0mmyGunZ

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2006
Long Island
the dell has more ports and connectivity correct? do you know what exactly the dell has that the apple doesnt as far as that goes? and what each does?

thanks alot. great post

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
It's good to read the post based on hard facts and stats which would confirm the visual evaluation of the ACD's performance. There are many people on this forum and others who recommend Dell's 24" screen over Apple mainly because of Dell's lower price.
Even though I am enticed by Dell's cheaper price, I came to realization that there is a reason to be cheap (but, I did not do thorough research on this as the OP did at the time of my purchase of LCD screens).
It appears 23" ACD is right in the sweet spot for Apple's ACD line up because of more even panel performance. 20" is not the high def and 30" model appears almost same as Dell's 30".
I am thinking about getting another ACD so that I can have one for each of my Macs. I have been contemplating which one to get, 23" or 30". This thread shed some objective light on this matter and will help me with my purchasing decision. I am leaning toward getting the second 23" ACD.

c.hilding

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
ABANDONED ACCOUNT
Yeap, I agree it is a tad too long.

So.... does the ACD support HDCP? Because monitors without that will be at the end of the road next year, so to speak :rolleyes:

You missed this 5 posts above yours. :rolleyes:

the dell has more ports and connectivity correct? do you know what exactly the dell has that the apple doesnt as far as that goes? and what each does?

thanks alot. great post

The specification sheet at the bottom of the original post lists all the connections that the Dell monitor has. If you need to know what each is, Google the terms or look them up on wikipedia.org. All of the additional ones relate to connecting dvd players/game consoles etc (since it's a monitor/tv hybrid), in addition to having the computer VGA/DVI ports.

YS2003: I am glad that you shared your experience with us. Indeed the 23" model is the "sweet spot" since the 20" is too low-end and the 30" is the same as the Dell. Getting a second 23" ACD is better than a 30" though, since the 23" costs less, is more accurate (neither Apple nor Dell have an even level of backlighting on their 30" models, so the image suffers a bit, but this depends on your needs), and it fits with the other 23" you have.

Best Regards

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I'd go for the second 23'' too.

you also have a bit of money left to consider buying a third 23''.

I want to ask people with multiple large monitors:

In a 2 monitor configuration, most people have the main in front, and the secondary on one side.

You know if a window isn't on the main, then it must be on that secondary monitor.

In a 3 monitor configuration, most people have the main in front, and the secondary and tertiary on either side.

Does this lead to slightly increased confusion now that a window could be on either one of the side monitors?

Do you get neck ache from swiveling your head?

(3 monitors could be better than 2 given that with two, you're always looking to the same side monitor, unbalancing your neck muscles over time.)

Many thanks

4legsmedia

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2006
I work with a 2407 at work, and I'm disappointed at the ability of it to display gradients, these have banding. I do a lot of design work, and using gradients is like working on a 256 color monitor. But overall, I'm quite satisfied with the Dell.
The only drawback of the ACD for me, is the lack of composite (or something) inputs, I want to play a game console on it.

At home I work with an iMac 20", displaying gradient is much better on it...

But my Philips Triniton display still beats both LCD's in terms of color depth. :(

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
An interesting discussion.

I have been using a Dell 2005FPW for about a year now and have found it to be adequate for my needs. My next computer will have a 24" display, but it will probably be another Dell since the 23" Apple is simply outside my price range. I'd rather put the money towards a Mac Pro, since color accuracy is not a high priority for me. But if I could afford the Apple display I'd probably take it over the Dell. It would be nice if the ACDs had more than one input, though.

The only thing I can really complain about with my Dell 20.1" is that it seems to have a little more backlight bleed than the Apple 20" displays I've used. Not horrible, but noticable after comparing both for a few months (I use an Apple 20" at work).

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
Good thread. I'm only considering the 30" line, though (Macbook Pros can only have 1 monitor hooked up -- so 30" it is) so Dell I come, as it is S-IPS.

This thread cleared up some misconceptions I had, however. But also, I'm not doing any photography/video work.

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
This might come as a shock to you, but with a university student discount in Sweden, t [Size reduced for all of our mental health] rs could possibly be worse", if you are happy with the Dell then you're not in the target market for professional displays and should keep your opinion to yourself. The difference is kind of like going from 16-bit to 32-bit colors but not as extreme.[/b][/i]

I found this post to be excessively verbose with a very pompous undertone. I think that both displays have their niche and such is the way of life.

Wankie

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2003
Hey c.hilding, you do know that the DELL 2407fpw is a 24bit panel right?
Dell2407fpwPanel.PNG

It uses a LTM240M2-L02 panel which is a 24bit panel.

A 18bit panel from Samsung is marked differently. It gets marked as a 6-Bit Hi-FRC to differentiate it from 24bit panels.
18bitPanel.PNG

I'm just surprised your spreading these mis truths.

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Dell2407fpwPanel.PNG

A 18bit panel from Samsung is marked differently. It gets marked as a 6-Bit Hi-FRC to differentiate it from 24bit panels.
18bitPanel.PNG

Based on the tone in the op, you shouldn't be surprised.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I didn't realise just how misleading the posts by childing could be until I actually bothered to read it in detail (woe is me for nerding that far) out of curiosity.

I can't seem to rate this thread with no stars, as being totally worthless.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
no matter what you say, Dell LCD is much better than Apple to me at least. Apple missed few things on it. the price is still steep comparing with Dell. it's one inch bigger than Apple. people usually go with less expensive, high quality. Apple should drop the price more.

c.hilding

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
ABANDONED ACCOUNT
34hfa08.png

The Dell 2407WFP contains Samsung's LTM240M2-L02 panel. You are right that the Samsung panel is 8-bit, but Dell rather uses 6-bit processing + 2-bit dithering to increase the gray-to-gray update rate. The dithering and banding (banding has been solved by Dell since Rev 03 by disabling the Faroudja deinterlacer) issues are despised, look at any forum on the internet, and if you see the monitor in person you will notice it too. I'm backed up by Dell's European Product Manager.

The Dell 2407WFP uses a 6-bit color + 2-bit FRC* solution in order to achieve the low response time. That's why the banding and the color saturation appear inferior to the earlier Dell 2405 model. It's sacrificing color accuracy and using dithering to approximate colors in order to gain speed. This is a response directly from Chris M. at Dell:

Is the 2407 LCD panel a true 8-bit display? (as listed 16.7 million in the tech specs)

* 6 bit panel + 2 bit dithering = 8 bit display

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=62031#M62031

You can still call it 8-bit since that's the sum of the two signals, but it's a far cry from a full 8-bit signal path where every color value is transmitted and displayed natively at full depth rather than being dithered. The increased complexity of having to turn a liquid crystal at a depth of 255 degrees (8-bit) per subpixel as opposed to just 64 degrees (6-bit) increases the time it takes to perform a full refresh of the screen, hence why for instance Apple's ACD (full 8-bit) is 16ms. An additional nice read about 6-bit vs 8-bit and a zoomed in look at dithering can be found here.

* FRC = Frame Rate Control, a method of emulation of the missing colors when the color of a pixel is changed slightly with every frame. For example, the monitor has to output the color RGB:{154;154;154}, and the matrix doesn't physically support it, but it supports the two neighboring colors, i.e. RGB{152;152;152} and RGB{156;156;156}. If we were outputting these two colors alternately with the frequency of the refresh rate, the similarity of these colors and the inertia of the human eye (which doesn't perceive flickering at a frequency of 60 hertz) as well as of the matrix itself (which is "smoothing" the moment when the colors are being switched) would give us what our eyes would perceive as some in-between color, i.e. the required RGB:{154;154;154}. (read more)

That being said, bit depth wasn't the only difference covered in the original post, although it's certainly one of the more important ones. :)

Dell2407fpwPanel.PNG

18bitPanel.PNG

c.hilding

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
ABANDONED ACCOUNT
UPDATE!

Chris M. at Dell has posted an update to his original 2407WFP FAQ after having further discussions with the product development team, and he now states that:

Updated information - 2407WFP is a true 8bit panel, not 6bit + 2bit dithering. It can display the full 16.7 million colors.

He is the source where everyone received the controversial 6-bit misinformation that caused a lot of disappointment among users, but it turns out he was wrong from the beginning and he has now updated the list. I thought information from Dell managers was supposed to be reliable, especially since he had talked to the product team. :rolleyes: I will remove all references to it being 6-bit from the original post. Thanks for notifying me of your findings or I wouldn't have seen that he had posted an update!

Best Regards

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.