Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nukiduz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
hi there. the title says it all: i'm not using any of my imac's firewire ports and i'd like to know if there's any converter that could make them usb. thanks!

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
You dont say what devices or how many you want to plug in.

A usb hub is dirt cheap nowadays, I've picked up a couple that were just thrown away on the street or left out on the wall for passersby to take.

An unpowered hub would give you a couple extra ports and could be used for devices that don't need powering through the USB port (e.g. printer etc).

Keyboard etc could go in the other ports.

doncbrown

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
Central NJ
Try MonoPrice.com

Hi,

In response to a Google search for this item, I came across your question. I just bot a Firewire Male to USB connector for $ 1.76 plus shipping. Haven't received it yet, but??

Donald

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Hi,

In response to a Google search for this item, I came across your question. I just bot a Firewire Male to USB connector for $ 1.76 plus shipping. Haven't received it yet, but??

Donald

And where you have bought that item? Have you got a link? Or were you just spamming for Monoprice, because they don't have that item?

phoobo

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
No such thing

Hi,

Donald

The two interfaces are not compatible. It's not just a matter of getting a plug to fit.

What you mention does not exist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.