Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crarcher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
Ordered my new IMAC and am expecting it 11-30-06. This is my 5th Mac (started with the classic).

I am prepping the G4 to migrate over and was wondering if I should delete the current version of the I-Life Apps off the G4 so I do not get 2 versions on the IMAC.

The only time I used Migration assistant was when I installed a new hard drive in the G4 and migrated everything over to the new drive.

I really do noty want to install everything over again onto the IMAC (I guess I am human and looking for the quick lazy way to do it).

Any help, opinions, etc wiould be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'd avoid using Migration Assistant for apps, especially if you're going from PPC to Intel. Manually reinstall your apps from the places you first got them (internet, CDs or whatever). Migration Assistant is pretty buggy so I only ever let it move my basic data files at best - documents, music, pictures, movies and so on. :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'd avoid using Migration Assistant for apps, especially if you're going from PPC to Intel. Manually reinstall your apps from the places you first got them (internet, CDs or whatever). Migration Assistant is pretty buggy so I only ever let it move my basic data files at best - documents, music, pictures, movies and so on. :)
I'll agree to this. I've used Migration Assistant before but I still don't trust it fully.

Just move your user account and settings. Install applications at your own discretion to make sure they work.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Does the Migration Assistant let you choose what to migrate and what not to?

I just figured when I hit next it would start transferring as it didn't seem to give me a customize screen to pick and choose what I wanted.

When I got my intel Mini last month I manually migrated data from my G4
1. because I set up a differently named user account, I thought they had to be the same.

2. I was worried about the PPC->Intel files and how that might affect it.

3. It said 18GB and so I wanted more control over the process.

Because of that I still haven't finished migrating things over, mostly because I've been busy either using the computer or doing other stuff and I haven't set aside the time to move over some of the less important files, apps, and settings.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Does the Migration Assistant let you choose what to migrate and what not to?

I just figured when I hit next it would start transferring as it didn't seem to give me a customize screen to pick and choose what I wanted.

When I got my intel Mini last month I manually migrated data from my G4
1. because I set up a differently named user account, I thought they had to be the same.

2. I was worried about the PPC->Intel files and how that might affect it.

3. It said 18GB and so I wanted more control over the process.

Because of that I still haven't finished migrating things over, mostly because I've been busy either using the computer or doing other stuff and I haven't set aside the time to move over some of the less important files, apps, and settings.
Yes, Migration Assistant lets you pick what you want to migrate.

Personally I just backup my user home and only move that over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.