Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MykullMyerz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Hello, I am a new Mac user. Just transferred from using a PC. On my PC I subscribed to AOL Music Now, but I can no longer use it unless I install Windows on my mac and I don't want to do that. I was wondering are there any music subscription services similiar to AOL Music Now or Yahoo Music that is compatible with Mac OS X?

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i don't think Musicmatch is doing anything with Apple anymore. the only reason they had that, if i recall correctly, was because pre-iTunes for Windows, you had to use Musicmatch to sync your iPod (rather awkwardly, too).

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
The only one I know of is eMusic. However, it's not an "all you can download subscription." You pay a monthly subscription price for a set number of song downloads, which you then own. The upside is that they don't expire if you end your subscription, and there's no DRM involved.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
The only one I know of is eMusic. However, it's not an "all you can download subscription." You pay a monthly subscription price for a set number of song downloads, which you then own. The upside is that they don't expire if you end your subscription, and there's no DRM involved.

Plus the music selection isn't the same as the other services, right? Isn't it mostly independent labels and not the major labels?

I would really, really like for the Rhapsody desktop client to be ported to OS X. It's not only the best subscription service, it's the best music software. I actually thought it beat iTunes hands down. The customizable radio station features are AWESOME.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Plus the music selection isn't the same as the other services, right? Isn't it mostly independent labels and not the major labels?

That's true, but it's surprising how much good stuff you can find there. Before buying anything on iTunes, I always check eMusic first. For example, Prototypes (whose song "Who's Gonna Sing" is on the new iPod shuffle commercial) have their album on iTunes for $10. On eMusic it works out to $4.20.

Anyway, it's not anything like what MykullMyerz was looking for, so I'll shut up now.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003

I would really, really like for the Rhapsody desktop client to be ported to OS X. It's not only the best subscription service, it's the best music software. I actually thought it beat iTunes hands down. The customizable radio station features are AWESOME.

I just bought a SE W810i and got 50 free downloads from eMusic. I thought great 50 free songs are gravy. I had the hardest time finding anything I wanted. Most artists I searched for were simply Kareoke versions of the songs. If I found a song it seemed to be an obscure live version. I downloaded my 50 after much searching but canceled my trail subscription the same day I joined. I will stick with iTunes!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.