Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ruzzian

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Southsea, UK
Hi everyone,

I'm having a weird issue with my powerbook going wireless. I bought a Belkin N1 Wireless Router so I could Network my Powerbook with my new iMac and also so my household can be wireless. However my Powerbook just wont connect to the wireless at all. I know the Airport card is fine because I connect to wireless at work with it and I know the router is fine as I connected to wireless with my PSP and my iMac.

The powerbook is seeing the wireless fine but when I try to connect to it it says this:

There was an error joining the Airport network "Fazukun_WiFi".

Can anyone help me work this out. Maybe its something I need to do when setting up the Belkin router preferences? Please, please help.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
What sort of security settings do you have on the network? Do the Network Settings in System Preferences look identical on the iMac and PowerBook? :)

ruzzian

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Southsea, UK
What sort of security settings do you have on the network? Do the Network Settings in System Preferences look identical on the iMac and PowerBook? :)

I started off with no security. The laptop didnt connect. Then I created a 64bit hex WEP. I then tried connecting wirelessly with both iMac and Powerbook and neither connected. I discovered that there were issues with some models connecting with a 64bit so I made a new 128bit hex WEP and the iMac connects fine but still the Powerbook doesnt. My Powerbook has a plain old Airport card which I was informed only uses a .11b connection or something so I set the router to .11b rather than a .11b+g+n. It still didnt connect. All the Network settings are identical but I cant seem to set up prefered networks on my airport configuration and I can't view "options" in status for Airport. I just click on the button and nowt happens.

I managed to connect wirelessly to my iMac from my powerbook fine when the iMac was wired up but thats not the convenience I really want.

ruzzian

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Southsea, UK
Could this be something to do with the MAC address? In the router I cloned my iMac's MAC address and when I entered my Powerbooks MAC address in place of the iMac's in the router my iMac couldnt connect and my PB still didnt. Or IP's... neither apple nor Belkin are helping me at all. I know they are compatible and that the airport card works and the router can make my iMac wireless. I just cannot work out why the PB wont go wireless. :confused:

ruzzian

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Southsea, UK
Ive discovered its a problem with my powerbook as my PSP can connect to the wireless fine. This is really frustrating. It should work fine but I've run out of possible solutions. Help on this would be SO appreciated.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Could this be something to do with the MAC address? In the router I cloned my iMac's MAC address and when I entered my Powerbooks MAC address in place of the iMac's in the router my iMac couldnt connect and my PB still didnt.

Okay, just out of interest, why did you need to do this? What other firmware changes have you made? Have you tried restoring the Belkin to factory defaults (it'll have a hard reset method in the manual)? Also, I'm sure Belkin mentioned this, but have you got the latest firmware installed? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.