Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdhalpern

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
Washington, DC
Hey guys,
I just bought an HDTV LCD with component input for HDTV capabilities (no HDMI or DVI input). It's max resolution is 740p or 1080i. I also have a 1.5 GHz 15" PowerBook G4 with DVI output. I am hoping to find a way to output my DVI signal into the component (Red, Green, Blue) input on my TV. Is there a way to do this?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Yeah, you just need to get a DVI-to-component adapter, similar to this:
http://www.svideo.com/hdtvaiwr8500.html

By the way, maximum resolution is not expressed as 720p or 1080i. It would be 1280x720. Or 1920x1080. Or something like that.

Will that device actually work? I'm not up on the Powerbook's specs, so I don't know if it's got an ATI card. $30 seems pretty cheap as I remember reading about DVI to component converters costing well above $100.

ft

sdhalpern

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
Washington, DC
technically it should work.. My powerbook has a 128MB ATI mobility radeon 9700, and the radeon 9700 series is on the compatibility list for this adapter.. the only thing im worried about is whether it is mac compatible, or does that not even matter here?

jtown

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Hey guys,
I just bought an HDTV LCD with component input for HDTV capabilities (no HDMI or DVI input).

Not to sound like a smug know-it-all, but are you absolutely positive there's no HDMI or DVI input? I can't imagine any manufacturer putting out an HD LCD panel without that. What is the make/model?

If it really doesn't have those inputs, I suggest you take it back and get one that does. You can get 720p (1366x768) panels with proper inputs for as little as $400. There's no reason to settle for one that's missing a critical input.

thebeephaha

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Seattle WA
My Viewsonic N2060W doesn't have a DVI or HDMI, its normally in the $500 range, however I got mine for right at $300 after tax.

It has a VGA, but.. VGA sucks and component is higher quality than VGA.

Which is why for me and the original poster, we really need to know if those adapters work or not.

For me, I'm using a MacBook Pro, but it really just has to be compatible with the X1600 series.

Thanks all.

jtown

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Component is not going to be better than VGA for hooking up to a computer. You will get the best quality picture (with that monitor) using a VGA adapter. In fact, according to the MacBook Pro's spec sheet (for the current model), it was shipped with the adapter you need. Just use that. You're not going to get better quality using component. If the image quality is poor, try going through the calibration procedure.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Can anyone confirm or deny if these will work on a MBP?
i haven't found a DVD->component adapter yet that works on the MBP. My TV has HDMI, so it's not a big deal, but I wanted to see the difference with component to free up one of the HDMI ports to use with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray should I go that route (other input is being used by the cable box). I get no signal at all on the TV using any adapters I found. Luckily I bought from places with nice return policies and no restocking fees. Apparently the firmware in the Mac x1600 is different and these types of adapters will not work with them.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm curious about this as well. I don't know that I've seen a recent LCD HDTV that lacks HDMI, DVI, and VGA inputs.

They exist... the really cheap discount ones (e.g. TigerDirect) tend to have just component. The mostly cheap discount ones (e.g. Walmart) tend to have component and HDMI but no VGA or DVI. Mine is in the slightly cheap category :D and has composite, component, s-vid, VGA, and HDMI, but no DVI. Which isn't such a loss, since DVI <-> HDMI conversions are easy.

But anyway, yeah, in order of preference, it goes loosely like this:

HDMI = DVI > VGA > Component > S-vid > Composite.

HDMI has slight convenience advantages over DVI; VGA just supports lots of resolution and timing features... the TV is more likely to let the computer steer to native resolution using VGA than component.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.