Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you do with your laptop if you need to leave it?

• Total voters

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
So, today I was working at the library and I saw some guy get up to go use the bathroom and he just left his laptop on the table alone, without locking it or anything. This isn't the first time I've seen this at the library - at least two people a week leave their laptop alone on the table. What do you do with your laptop when you have to go somewhere in a public place?

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2006
I always put it to sleep- or just lock the screen- and put it back in my bag and take it with me.

ALWAYS... when you spend that much on such nice equipment taking 5 seconds to secure it in a backpack is a very small price to pay to make sure you aren't robbed.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Put to sleep (password awakening) and tie one of them K-locks round it. Normally just carry it with me though. I mean the 12" PB looks so snazzy behind carried. PHWAR.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
if I'm getting up to go somewhere where I'll be able to keep an eye on it, and it's not a busy place- like getting a book in the library- I just leave it. Anything else and I stick it in my bag and take it with me.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
sad how distrusting people are and rightfully so. i mean just because someone isn't there, doesn't mean its laptop giveaway day. obviously someone has it and is using it. people make me so sick

its not like finders keepers seriously people who steal should seriously get their hands cut off as they know darn well its wrong

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
sad how distrusting people are and rightfully so. i mean just because someone isn't there, doesn't mean its laptop giveaway day. obviously someone has it and is using it. people make me so sick

its not like finders keepers seriously people who steal should seriously get their hands cut off as they know darn well its wrong

I agree with you 100%. I wouldn't even leave my laptop in my locker at school or at work because I would be afraid of someone stealing it.

I think that we should put up a sign at the library saying "We're not responsible if your _____ gets stolen" because people are so sick these days.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
i noticed this last year alot when i would be in the library and ppl would just get up and leave thier laptop. im just too paranoid and poor to take the risk, i love my 17" and i never see ppl with that size here often. lol now if only it were a macbook pro and not a G4

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
I have a habit of walking away from stuff and trusting it'll be there when I get back, especially in Starbucks. Usually I try though to take it with me.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
I didn't vote because I am never in an area where I need to worry about this kind of thing. The most public place I ever bring my laptop is into work with me. I work in an office where there are plenty of people around that I can trust...

...or so I think...

:eek:

I suppose if I did take it to a library or something and had to use the bathroom, I'd just ask someone to watch it or something, or knowing me, I'd make a big scene and shout (yes, shout in a library), "MAN I GOTTA PEE! I GUESS I'LL JUST LEAVE MY LAPTOP HERE UNATTENDED WHILE I RUN TO THE RESTROOM! SURE HOPE IT'S HERE WHEN I GET BACK!"

No one is dumb enough to gank a laptop after an episode like that.

<off-topic>
Is "gank" only used around where I live? Because it sure feels like it came out of nowhere several years ago and I've never heard it used outside of my own circle of friends.
</off-topic>

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I didn't vote because I am never in an area where I need to worry about this kind of thing. The most public place I ever bring my laptop is into work with me. I work in an office where there are plenty of people around that I can trust...

...or so I think...

:eek:

I suppose if I did take it to a library or something and had to use the bathroom, I'd just ask someone to watch it or something, or knowing me, I'd make a big scene and shout (yes, shout in a library), "MAN I GOTTA PEE! I GUESS I'LL JUST LEAVE MY LAPTOP HERE UNATTENDED WHILE I RUN TO THE RESTROOM! SURE HOPE IT'S HERE WHEN I GET BACK!"

No one is dumb enough to gank a laptop after an episode like that.

<off-topic>
Is "gank" only used around where I live? Because it sure feels like it came out of nowhere several years ago and I've never heard it used outside of my own circle of friends.
</off-topic>

haha that would work. ive never hear gank..i use yank though

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
The place where I interned at said not to leave your powerbook lying around even in the building. :eek: And this was a big big company. :(

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
There were a lot of times when I was in college where I would leave my laptop and backpack (with iPod, etc.) unattended for hours in a computer lab when I was off in other labs - only people in my major used that lab, so I guess I didn't feel as worried. Plus, everyone was required to lease a laptop at my school, so no one needed one. Eh...I made it without losing the laptop, so it's all water under the bridge.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
My personal laptop I would put to sleep and take with me (which is how I voted).

However, at work I regularly leave my laptop out on my desk when I go to meetings/bathroom/lunch/etc...though I do lock it in my desk or take it home at night.

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
<off-topic>
</off-topic>

"gank" holds a much loved and revered -- but not often used -- position in my vernacular.

When I'm using my laptop in public, I put my laptop to sleep, put it in my carrying case and take it with me wherever I go. To me, it's not a matter of distrust, but rather one of common sense. It's my property, it's my responsibility, and it's my investment. I want to keep it in best possible condition, and part of that is knowing where it is at all times.

Irish Dave

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
The Emerald Isle
So, today I was working at the library and I saw some guy get up to go use the bathroom and he just left his laptop on the table alone, without locking it or anything. This isn't the first time I've seen this at the library - at least two people a week leave their laptop alone on the table. What do you do with your laptop when you have to go somewhere in a public place?

Better safe than sorry ......... put it to sleep and take it with you.

Greetings from Ireland

Dave :)

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
If I am working at starbucks or somewhere like that, I usually will put anything expensive in my messanger bag and take with me to the bathroom (like how ladies never leave their purses behind...on purpose) and I will leave other less valuble things like my books or my coat behind to keep my space.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
if I'm getting up to go somewhere where I'll be able to keep an eye on it, and it's not a busy place- like getting a book in the library- I just leave it. Anything else and I stick it in my bag and take it with me.

Me too. I just leave it if I'm going for a drink of water, or even if I'm going to the toilet. It depends on where I am sitting, how far away I'm going, and how long I'll be away from my seat.

Then be more trusting of people. ;)

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Ditto. I never leave my notebook unattended in a public place if it will be out of my sight. An exception would be my office (which I don't really consider a "public" place). I trust my co-workers and thus often leave my notebook unattended for long periods of time (e.g. going to meetings, or out to lunch).

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
If I just have to pee in the library I often cover it with a jacket/fleece/sweater or slip it in my backpack and leave it on my desk. Sometimes I pile books on it in such a way you can't tell its there.

If I'm going to be away any longer I just toss it in my bag and go.

When I pulled an all-nighter in the library and took a long break at 4am I just left it running on the desk. You can imagine how many people were in the library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.