Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supermario19

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2006
Is there any possible way to add usb 2.0 or firewire to my slot loading G3 iMac 350mhz? I would just rather use my iPod with my mac and usb 1 takes forever to put songs on it. I haven't been able to find anything and as far as I know there is no place for expansion cards, so I'm probably just gonna hear a no back on this one. But if anyone has any ideas let me know.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Is there any possible way to add usb 2.0 or firewire to my slot loading G3 iMac 350mhz? I would just rather use my iPod with my mac and usb 1 takes forever to put songs on it. I haven't been able to find anything and as far as I know there is no place for expansion cards, so I'm probably just gonna hear a no back on this one. But if anyone has any ideas let me know.

What iPod do you have, the latest ones can only work with USB so you'd need to find a Mac with USB 2.0.

supermario19

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2006
What iPod do you have, the latest ones can only work with USB so you'd need to find a Mac with USB 2.0.

Ya thats exactly what I'm looking for. I've got the old iPod shuffle so I don't even think it works with firewire at all.

Does the iMac DV have usb 2.0? i wasn't able to find that out so far, just that it has two usb ports.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Does the iMac DV have usb 2.0? i wasn't able to find that out so far, just that it has two usb ports.
The old shuffles don't need usb 2.0 as far as I recall using one with a 667 Tibook VGA (non DVI machine).

I think you will be fine with an old iMac G3. I sold my sonnet upgrade card called the "Harmoni"... look on eBay or around for one cheap if that's what you are determined to do. Personally, I'd settle for an iMac 400, 450, or 500mhz tht you can pick up cheap and sell the old one.

supermario19

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2006
I know it doesn't need usb 2.0, as I have used it fine on this mac before, I just hate how long it takes. And that was with a 512 shuffle, I have a 1g shuffle now and I don't feel like taking that long to put songs on it. Does the harmoni upgrade have usb 2.0 on it, and will it actually work on my iMac? I thought I read somewhere that the one I have can't be upgraded.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I know it doesn't need usb 2.0, as I have used it fine on this mac before, I just hate how long it takes. And that was with a 512 shuffle, I have a 1g shuffle now and I don't feel like taking that long to put songs on it. Does the harmoni upgrade have usb 2.0 on it, and will it actually work on my iMac? I thought I read somewhere that the one I have can't be upgraded.

Oops. I thought you had a tray loader. Don't know what to say, didn't seem to be that much of a hassle when I used an old Tibook with 1.0 usb with my 1gb shuffle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.