Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riverratjimmy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2006
aiite im currently running logic 7.1 on my imac G5 and im thinking about getting me a laptop for takin out on't road. im not sure what i'll need to get though.... im thinking macbook or macbook pro. im not sure if the macbook will be beefy enough but saving money is niiiiiiiice so i'd like the cheap option... anyone got any advice?

cheers

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
The macbook and macbook pro are basically identical for cpu power, when it comes to logic and audio work. So if you can live with the lesser graphics chip in the macbook, that would be the cheaper route.

Quboid

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2006
everywhere
The macbook and macbook pro are basically identical for cpu power, when it comes to logic and audio work. So if you can live with the lesser graphics chip in the macbook, that would be the cheaper route.

I've been meaning to bring that up. Since when does the professional machine sport the same CPU as the consumer line? i can't say i'm complaining though (being a student and all). How bad is the macbook's graphics though?, or how good i should say.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I've been meaning to bring that up. Since when does the professional machine sport the same CPU as the consumer line? i can't say i'm complaining though (being a student and all). How bad is the macbook's graphics though?, or how good i should say.

Since it was the iBook/PowerBook G3, then the iBook/PowerBook G4 then the MacBook/MacBook Pro Core Duo and now the MacBook/MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo.

So you see it's fairly common, the consumer line lags for a little while but it eventually catches up in terms of technology although never quite gets there for raw clock speed - the Pro line is always a bit faster. It's the other aspects that make the Pro a professional grade machine.

For audio work you'd probably be able to get by with a MacBook unless you need FW800 for stuff.

The only places you're going to notice the lack of graphical ability in the MacBook are:

1. Current gaming.
2. Aperture - professional photo management.
3. Motion - motion graphics.
4. Plugging in a big external display.

Everything else should run just fine - you don't need awesome graphics for audio work.

cschreppel

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
Boston, MA
4. Plugging in a big external display.

Well - I don't know if it's of any help, but I have a 20" Apple Cinema Display running on my MacBook Core Duo and it's been fine. I guess it would get a little sketchy on the 23" or larger, but maybe not since it can't even support the 30" - so why would you even connect it?

Anyway, my point is, it runs my 20" beautifully without any flaws when I have Pro Tools (or Logic, DP, etc.) running, 2 Firewire drives (daisy chained) connected, my Digi002 Console, Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse...no lag whatsoever.

Then again, the 2GB RAM I bought for it definitely helps me out.

Quboid

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2006
everywhere
I am an egineering student, and you guys may find this funny, but i want to replace my current ibook for a macbook pro for two reasons. I may need bootcamp sooner or later and i feel the need for a big screen. When you're doing stuff like logical circuits schematics and such things a 14 just doesn't cut it and i guessing the macbook won't be much different. So my wants for a macbook pro has nothing to do with the graphics (hurts to spend so much more for graphics i may never use).

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
im a senior mech engr student and i upgraded from an emac to a macbook. granted i have a 19in screen while at home but yea im liking my setup

i agree with the above poster, why pay for a graphics card if you never use it. im not a fan to buy something for the sake of having it ( like my dad for instance always needs to have the best lol)

cschreppel

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
Boston, MA
Nah man,

Get the MacBook and use the extra money you'll save from not getting the MBPro and get yourself a 20" Cinema Display or for less, a display from Dell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.