Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Site News

Old Mar 12, 2003, 05:37 PM   #26
mymemory
Banned

Arn, I have a question....

May be the political stuff would work after war or things like that. I have never been inside that forum but things show op other places.

My question regard about something different:

Are we getting too much in to silly topics?

I mean:
"What hair cut do you have"
"What kind of toile paper do you use"

I'm not asking about chaos theory discusions but we may fall in to another place too. All the thread about ***** are so nasty. remeber this site is readed all around the world and some image shuld be mantain.

That is it.

Thanx.
mymemory is offline   0
Old Mar 12, 2003, 08:53 PM   #27
MrBillGates
macrumors member

Re: Arn, I have a question....

Quote:
Originally posted by mymemory
May be the political stuff would work after war or things like that. I have never been inside that forum but things show op other places.

My question regard about something different:

Are we getting too much in to silly topics?

I mean:
"What hair cut do you have"
"What kind of toile paper do you use"

I'm not asking about chaos theory discusions but we may fall in to another place too. All the thread about ***** are so nasty. remeber this site is readed all around the world and some image shuld be mantain.

That is it.

Thanx.
I completely agree with mymemory. Some of the non-political topics are really disgusting. I guess the question is : Where does one draw the line?

BG
MrBillGates is offline   0
Old Mar 12, 2003, 09:03 PM   #28
wdlove
macrumors 604

Thank you arn for your understanding. Hope this will truly work with fair exchange of ideas!
Old Mar 12, 2003, 09:12 PM   #29
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Re: Re: Arn, I have a question....

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillGates
I completely agree with mymemory. Some of the non-political topics are really disgusting. I guess the question is : Where does one draw the line?

BG
Gross and disgusting usually doesn't start a huge problem between two posters (or more) that can carry throughout the entire site.

Politics and religion are usually topics that can really start a war between people, that carries over to other topics and areas.

If it get's really ugly, multiple sites are involved -- one of the reasons I stopped going to that other site. And when I checked back over the holidays, the fools had eaten up all the bandwidth in a political flamewar that resulted in quite of few people getting booted along with the deletion of the general topics section of the community.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 10:27 PM   #30
Les Kern
macrumors 68030

If it's bandwidth or moderator time that's caused this, so be it.
As for the flames, we can use the ignore feature. There are some pretty intelligent folks here that have added to the collective good, and it's certainly worth skinning off the grease to get to it. Nicht War? It's one of the main reasons I come here. Let's face it, asking me what car I drive and listening to visions of nuclear powered Macs is collectively most certainly a bigger waste of bandwidth.

Last edited by Les Kern; Mar 12, 2003 at 10:29 PM.
Les Kern is offline   0
Old Mar 12, 2003, 10:53 PM   #31
SPG
macrumors 65816

I'll be the first to agree that some of the passions ran a little high in the political forums, but the majority were able to voice opinions and views in a fairly friendly way. I admit too, that I may have let a poster get under my skin, cough cough ovi, I'd hate to see the whole thing go down because of a few bad apples (no pun intended).
This forum has been especially popular for the political debate for one very good reason...neutral ground. I can go find a ton of left or right sites where I'm either preaching to the choir or getting screamed at by the clergy, but few that have a more or less split population. In fact, out of sheer appreciation for putting up with it this long, I'm throwing down my $20 and signing up for the ad free version right now. Thanks Arn.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 10:51 AM   #32
cc bcc
macrumors 6502

Not to stir up the fire, but I've seen some insulting sig's (i.e. attacking countries and peoples with other opinions or different solutions to the iraq problem)

Little things like this make people not feel at home or not accepted. People, please consider this and change posible insulting sigs. Thanks all!

( I hope this post won't also be deleted.. )
cc bcc is offline   0
Old Mar 13, 2003, 12:02 PM   #33
Backtothemac
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to Backtothemac
Quote:
Originally posted by cc bcc
Not to stir up the fire, but I've seen some insulting sig's (i.e. attacking countries and peoples with other opinions or different solutions to the iraq problem)

Little things like this make people not feel at home or not accepted. People, please consider this and change posible insulting sigs. Thanks all!

( I hope this post won't also be deleted.. )
Please give an example. While I understand the need for out new calmer approach here in the Political forum, we cannot be completely sterile of emotion, and opinion.
Backtothemac is offline   0
Old Mar 13, 2003, 12:19 PM   #34
cc bcc
macrumors 6502

Whether France is wrong or right about things, bashing France really annoys me:

"French tanks have 6 gears. 5 reverse, and one forward - in case they are attacked from behind."

I've seen other sigs like this but I couldn't find them just now, don't remember where I've seen them or who they came from.

I really don't mind political topics, actually I sometimes quite strongly defend my views there. But in the other forums (news etc) I can't reply to those sigs, because those posts will be removed by arn. It's the attitude of superiority and "either you're with US or you're against US" that seems more and more common these days. I'd vote for a ban on insulting sigs, and let the hot debates in the political forum continue.

Pick a nonsense sig like mine! :-D
cc bcc is offline   0
Old Mar 15, 2003, 02:02 PM   #35
Stelliform
macrumors 68000

I would have to aggree with cc bcc. However I don't know how you would police that. I guess all you could do is make a rule forbidding politcal views in your sig. (Like anything refering to a country, policial figure....)

Just a thought....
Old Mar 22, 2003, 11:48 AM   #36
wms121
macrumors regular

hey there big Al...

yes Apple needs you..

There are too many wintel people in the Government..much less the Pentagon and DoD..that NEEDS these boxes.

Hey..could Hillary and Wesley run sometime soon?

Pick a year...2004...2008...2012..

(General Wesley Clark..not Ensign Wesley Crusher..ask for
personal guidance from Wil Wheaton if you must.. www.wilwheaton.com)

YES they could put a 8540 bus processor on a dual 970 box..and call it a:

G5.5 = 1/2 G5 + 1/2 G6

<---embedded defense engineer working on smurfspace theory

(don't touch that knob Smurfette..!!)
Old Mar 22, 2003, 09:05 PM   #37
wdlove
macrumors 604

Re: hey there big Al...

Quote:
Originally posted by wms121
yes Apple needs you..

There are too many wintel people in the Government..much less the Pentagon and DoD..that NEEDS these boxes.

Hey..could Hillary and Wesley run sometime soon?

Pick a year...2004...2008...2012..

(General Wesley Clark..not Ensign Wesley Crusher..ask for
personal guidance from Wil Wheaton if you must.. www.wilwheaton.com) ****Your site wouldn't WK?****

YES they could put a 8540 bus processor on a dual 970 box..and call it a:

G5.5 = 1/2 G5 + 1/2 G6

<---embedded defense engineer working on smurfspace theory

(don't touch that knob Smurfette..!!)
That would be great if Al could get more Mac's into the government, maybe that is why Steve hired him. Has the inside track!

Hilary is running in '08 unless as the Dem's are hoping that things go badly for the war and the economy. A truly sad plan to win.

Does the site indicate that Clark might run with her as VP?
Old Mar 24, 2003, 03:08 PM   #38
wms121
macrumors regular

...ok correct URL's

the Wil Wheaton URL is:

http://www.wilwheaton.net

ONe of the Wes Clark sites (there are several) :

http://wesleyclark.newstrove.com

www.hillaryclinton.com does not exist...however

You could email her and ask ; )

www.senate.gov

hmmm..if Apple has a 970 motherboard..does it have Rapid IO
or Infiniband or FiberNet? Or all three options? YES that is possible if they are using both 8540's and 8560's and a 970.

Some custom ASIC chips would be needed.

<---is still not sure exactly WHY Big Al jumped on Steve's boat...

Does Tipper know about this yet?

Does Steve's wife do phone soliciting?

Did Grapebunny (macfanatic on yahoo chat) get a grape shake?

(ok a grape slurpee...Cali has "blender foods" from other planets)

the POWER12 is a optical chip ...pass it on...

WW
Old Mar 27, 2003, 10:50 PM   #39
GeeYouEye
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to GeeYouEye Send a message via Yahoo to GeeYouEye
Why was my thread about anti-war protesters (the second one, posted yesterday, not the first) closed? I know it got off to a bit of a rocky start, but I don't think anything in it, especially by the end (unless some posts were deleted, in which case, ignore this post), was particularly close-worthy? At least a note as to why it was closed would have been nice.
Like politics, free speech, computers, entertainment, and more? Join us at Wordforge.net
GeeYouEye is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2003, 02:17 AM   #40
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
Why was my thread about anti-war protesters (the second one, posted yesterday, not the first) closed? I know it got off to a bit of a rocky start, but I don't think anything in it, especially by the end (unless some posts were deleted, in which case, ignore this post), was particularly close-worthy? At least a note as to why it was closed would have been nice.
Because it was being reported...and lately so much negativity has been spawning from a lot of these discussions...

and my tolerance is getting very limited to it all...so rather than try to alleviate it...I ended it...

my apologies...but it's getting to that point...
eyelikeart is offline   0
Old Mar 31, 2003, 08:14 PM   #41
GeneR
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to GeneR Send a message via Yahoo to GeneR
This was a fair choice. However...

Is politics really the right topic for these rumor boards? I know I've really enjoyed them and I have learned a lot about what's going on in the world, how people think about the war, and about the country, etc. but I am wondering maybe someone else outside of MacRumors.com should start another vBulletin site for political discussion. (???)

Well, anyway, let's see how it goes. MacRumors (I thought) was supposed to be a site dedicated to building community. A non-political forum for Apple enthusiasts... That's just my opinion.

Thanks for all the work, Arn.
Helpful hint #001: Work for Good, not for Evil.

What I like about MacRumors: Very cool people. It's always like a party. The people are friendly, funny, smart, and pretty darn cool. And I'm always learning how much I don't know.

RAMEN RANK: Yellow belt - Ramen noodle eater. (Not quite professional grade as of yet.)

Last edited by GeneR; Mar 31, 2003 at 11:00 PM.
GeneR is offline   0
Old Apr 6, 2003, 07:26 PM   #42
BrittasMac
macrumors member

I am in agreement with GeneR. The political forums are ruining this site. The political threads end up spilling over into the other forums in the form of petty flame wars.

It's a pain in the arse for mods.

It results in members hating eachother.

It drives away members.

It doesn't belong on what should be a technology site.
BrittasMac is offline   0
Old Apr 6, 2003, 08:11 PM   #43
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
if I could easily eliminate all political discussions I would...

I'd prefer them not to be on this site at all.... however... due to current events, it's a topic on people's minds.

If the political forum was eliminated, I fear all that discussion would be even more prevalent in the other forums.

At this time, political discussions should only take place in Current Events and the Political Forum.

arn
arn is offline   0
Old Apr 6, 2003, 08:17 PM   #44
Rower_CPU
Moderator emeritus

Are you considering removing the Political forum once the current situation dies down? Or do you think they still need to be kept separate from the Community area?

I almost think that having a dedicated area promotes more discussion...so if you're looking to scale it back later it might be good to remove the "advertising".
Old Apr 6, 2003, 08:58 PM   #45
wdlove
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Are you considering removing the Political forum once the current situation dies down? Or do you think they still need to be kept separate from the Community area?

I almost think that having a dedicated area promotes more discussion...so if you're looking to scale it back later it might be good to remove the "advertising".
I also hope that arn will continue the political forum, better since it's in a separate area. Please arn allow us to have the Political Forum!
Old Apr 7, 2003, 01:25 AM   #46
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus

hehe...it's a power struggle.

I'm with arn on the political threads also. I never even go in there, and they tend to get heated often. Although, ever since the closing & relaunching, they have been very tame.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 07:21 PM   #47
GeneR
macrumors 6502a

Really?

Quote:
Originally posted by eyelikeart
hehe...it's a power struggle.

I'm with arn on the political threads also. I never even go in there, and they tend to get heated often. Although, ever since the closing & relaunching, they have been very tame.
I got burned out on them a few weeks ago. Don't go in there anymore. Anyway, I hope you're right about that. However, maybe if people do post, they may care to also list links that back up their arguments? I dunno.

I'm just glad to be talking about something less destructive, like, uh, ramen noodles.

What I like about MacRumors: Very cool people. It's always like a party. The people are friendly, funny, smart, and pretty darn cool. And I'm always learning how much I don't know.

RAMEN RANK: Yellow belt - Ramen noodle eater. (Not quite professional grade as of yet.)
GeneR is offline   0
Old Apr 9, 2003, 09:07 AM   #48
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus

Re: Really?

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneR
However, maybe if people do post, they may care to also list links that back up their arguments? I dunno.
I don't think that's thinking very realistically, but I do see your point. The thing is, political discussions NEVER go on without debate of some sort. I think it's just easier to be hostile when u are behind the mask of the internet than in real life, and with discussion forums like this, most people won't go searching just so they can site sources. So, until then, we'll be warning & closing down threads as seen fit to.

But very glad u are enjoying the discussion on ramen noodles. Have u tried the poop thread yet?
Old Apr 15, 2003, 11:01 PM   #49
GeneR
macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Really?

Quote:
Originally posted by eyelikeart
I don't think that's thinking very realistically, but I do see your point. The thing is, political discussions NEVER go on without debate of some sort. I think it's just easier to be hostile when u are behind the mask of the internet than in real life, and with discussion forums like this, most people won't go searching just so they can site sources. So, until then, we'll be warning & closing down threads as seen fit to.

But very glad u are enjoying the discussion on ramen noodles. Have u tried the poop thread yet?
Oh. Poop thread? I didn't even see that one. But then again I have an over-active imagination so it's probably best that I don't.

GeneR is offline   0
Old Apr 16, 2003, 12:45 AM   #50
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus

Re: Re: Re: Really?

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneR
Oh. Poop thread? I didn't even see that one. But then again I have an over-active imagination so it's probably best that I don't.
ha ha...yeah...it definitely brings out the inner adolescent in u...

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Site News