Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
I currently keep all my songs on my computer in my itunes library and sync them with my iPod. My brother and I share the computer and he is now getting an iPod and wants to put his own music on it. Is it possible to have TWO different libraries in iTunes each with different music? So that when my brother plugs his iPod in it will transfer only his songs and when I plug mine in it will only transfer MY songs? Is this possible? Thanks.

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
Los Angeles
I currently keep all my songs on my computer in my itunes library and sync them with my iPod. My brother and I share the computer and he is now getting an iPod and wants to put his own music on it. Is it possible to have TWO different libraries in iTunes each with different music? So that when my brother plugs his iPod in it will transfer only his songs and when I plug mine in it will only transfer MY songs? Is this possible? Thanks.

Create a new user/ profile.. That'd be the easiest.. and keep each other out of each others skin..

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Well this is on our home desktop (which is a PC). I have my own MacBook which I use for school and whatnot but I don't keep much music on there.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
you can configure this through the iPod settings. when he plugs in his iPod, it will ask him if he wants to transfer all his music - click no. then, go into iPod settings (by clicking on the iPod in the source pane in iTunes 7) and check the playlists to sync for each iPod. he can sync whatever playlists he wants on his iPod and you can sync whatever playlists you want on yours. the computer and iTunes will recognize the different iPods when they are plugged in and will only sync whatever playlists you have selected for the specific iPod.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Yeah but neither of us use playlists. We each just want to have our own libraries. Is it possible?

happy.buddha

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2005
New Hampshire
Yeah you buy an external drive for the MacBook and keep your music on there and then you don't have to worry about sharing with your brother nor do you have to worry about your music being on the MacBook.

TheNightPhoenix

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2005
or...

Hold down alt when you boot up iTunes and each of you have your own library?

*edit* sorry forgot it's hold down shift when you open itunes to manage multiple libraries.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Not without creating new users. Why not just turn off auto-sync and load up your iPods manually?

TA DAH!!!

Easiest option right here. I hate, haaate auto-sync, every iPod I own is set for manual syncing of music.

Do this jason2811 and your problems will be solved. This way you control what goes on your iPod.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Two playlists a doddle. If the music is to be stored on the same computer, why does it matter if they are stored in different areas?

My housemate and I share the same library. We have some similar tastes, but them some wildly differing tastes. We run two iPods each from our respective playlists. Simplicity itself...

TheNightPhoenix

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2005
anybody anyone else?

Do none the the suggestions above do it for you?

Apart from auto syncing from a play list theres no way to auto sync when plugged in.

The other option is like i said and have two libraries, but requires to hold keys when opening itunes.

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
Sync'ing playlists works well - I maintain four iPods from one library - mine, my wife's and each of my daughters. No sweat.

penter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
there are easy solutions to your problem when using a Mac, such as scripts, third party applications, or simply by holding down "option" when launching iTunes.

I myself have attempted these methods for creating multiple libraries, and they work just fine. Now since you have a PC things are different....

I would say that creating playlists for you and your brother is the easiest way to solve the problem (if you do so, then set you iPod for Manuall Management). I know you have previously refused the proposal, but to me it seems lazy of your part.... Take a look at it, if you're not happy, then look around online for 3rd party programs that may offer such capabilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.