Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
If I got a G5 with that case design, I think I would have to paint the round bit orange-yellow and refer to it as THE WHEEL OF CHEESE.

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2002
O-5-X

that's interesting...

the wheel = O
version = (G)5 (similar to an S in shape)
the case = X

O5X or OSX...

it would be too simple...it's kind of cool looking too...although i really wish they could fit all of that power into the cube AND give it all the upgradability and such...i still think the cube was the coolest...jv

Mac DV

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2002
NOLA
To hell with what it will look like, what is it going to do? I read an article at http://www.digitalvideoediting.com months ago that said things like twice as many transistors as the g4 and a motherboard that will support up to 16...yes 16 gigs of ram. I am currently on a dual p. 533 and will be the first on to say that this comp leaves little to be desired. But on the other hand, as someone who outputs about 4 gigs of edited/rendered "finished" video a week. The mac architecture could use a little work, (SYSTEM BUS SPEED!!!, for all comps for that matter). Mabye its just the Final Cut Pro Architecture. Not to say any junkie PC could handle this sort of workload. At least not any PC running windows. If you consider the history of the proccesor, you will find that about 20 years ago (mabye a little less) speeds were at about 100k, so now 20 years later mac makes a 2000k machine....In 2020 will I be on a dual terabyte w/ 540 terabytes of raid 0 disk array????....Hmmmmm

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I can't imagine Apple incorporating the iPod's shiny metal into the new G5 case.

How about offering "extra scratches" as a BTO...

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
:) i dont think that pic is all that bad. o sure it will never happen but as for aestetics go, that wheel things isnt bad. and like jv said its got some neat little links with O5X, which is appropriate since i dont expect osx to come into its own until we have some of that power macdv is talking about.

i havent actually played with an ipod much yet, but i have heard it collects finger prints and scratches easily but who cares on a desktop design. sure with the ipod you notice since you move it around and handle it, but the tower will just sit there. i think an ipodish enclosure is possible. Apple has been going crazy with white lately. i still like my little black powerbook, she seems more elegant and refined than those flashy Ti whores. And all the white just reminds me of an asylum. but im just saying that because i like my lil powerbook.

i dont expect much as far as a new color scheme from the new tower, apple seems to have done everything. but apple has a funny way of surprising us when it comes to the color scheme.

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
MMMH127.GIF

hideous!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
G5--16 gig of ram

Yessir. Thats the nature of 64 bit processors. Intel's Itanium systems also support 16 gig of ram. It will be an interesting summer for PC's (with AMD's 64 bit coming out--Hammer I think, and Intel's solution to the 64 bit system), and an even more interesting MWSF--Apple has OSX that can handle the new processor, and I dont think Windows XP is up to the challenge.

As far as the new design goes---

QUIT BEING SO DAMN ARTISTIC!
The new G5 system is NOT going to be an iMac or a cube! The nature of the system will be high-end tower, and high end users want ONE THING--exapandibility. It will still need to meet standand specs. so it can hold new HD's, VideoCards, etcs. God! Appl is not going to make a G5 cube, sphere, cylinder, or donut! (torus for all you 3D peeps ;))

IT WILL BE A TOWER. Stylish? Yes. Hyper-design? No.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.