Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Just saw this on Daring Fireball, an open-source project to run Cocoa apps on Windows. http://www.cocotron.org/

Looks interesting, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet (I'm still running an old version of Xcode, so not sure if I need to upgrade first). It could be useful if you have a simple app that you want to port to Windows, although there are apparently still many missing parts.

Reactions: grahamperrin

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Definitely looks interesting. Although I downloaded the test .app and ran it in parallels but i guess you have to have something for it to understand .app folders (but the .exe in the Windows folder ran).

tominated

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
where do you download it. it has nothing in the google code downloads thing, so where/what do i download! i want to port tominated to winblows!
EDIT: don't worry, i found it

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I think its something to keep an eye on, however, it sounds like it does not work %100 yet.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
i want to port tominated to winblows!
EDIT: don't worry, i found it

Don't get your hopes up. It's still a pretty rudimentary implementation. Newer (like Mac OS X or later) stuff isn't supported. WebKit views are almost certainly unsupported, and I'm assuming Tominated uses a WebKit view. Really this has a ways to go before it's useful to a lot of people, but it's still interesting (and encouraging).

Definitely looks interesting. Although I downloaded the test .app and ran it in parallels but i guess you have to have something for it to understand .app folders (but the .exe in the Windows folder ran).

The TextEditor example is Intel only, which is annoying. Runs fine on my Intel iMac, but (of course) doesn't work at all on my PowerBook. I wonder if they just forgot to compile it as Universal? They do say that Cocotron itself works on either PowerPC or Intel.

aspro

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Hobart, Australia
Does anyone know how this project relates to Gnustep? Is it trying to be the same thing only on windows or something different? In anycase very interesting.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
i read on the site somewhere that it has th same idea as that but for cocoa

cocotron.org said:
How is this related to GNUStep?

Similar idea but different license, authors, source and goals.

It's worth noting that GNUStep really is a very similar idea, and it's "for Cocoa" too. Cocoa is essentially just a new name for the OpenStep APIs from the NextStep operating system. GNUStep is a free/open source implementation of OpenStep. Cocoa is for OS X, GNUStep is primarily for Linux, and Cocotron is primarily for Windows.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Decidedly interesting... Don't know how practical it is, but if you can get a basic Cocoa app running under Windows, that's really something, especially given how difficult it is to get GNUStep to work on Windows.

I suspect Bindings, CoreData, etc. are a VERY long way off, especially as, to my knowledge, there is no published spec for either.

CaS

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2006
GNUstep has an installer for windows ... just click and go.
But I think it's a bit out of date... not the very latest version of the code.
Incidentally, the aim of GNUstep is to be a cross-platform implementation of the Cocoa API ... so it most definitely is for windows and is much more advanced than cocotron, but as the developers are from a UNIX/Linux background, the windows part is only improving slowly :(

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Looks like most 10.2 and earlier stuff will probs work OK with a bit of fixing. Anything that requires 10.3 or later (eg bindings, core data, HTML rendering (10.2.x+safari), XML or even NSIndex* (which sucks as NSIndexSet seem to be Apple's favored way recently - a lot of stuff is being deprecated in favor of methods returning index sets)) will be a complete PITA to get working.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Decidedly interesting... Don't know how practical it is, but if you can get a basic Cocoa app running under Windows, that's really something, especially given how difficult it is to get GNUStep to work on Windows.

I suspect Bindings, CoreData, etc. are a VERY long way off, especially as, to my knowledge, there is no published spec for either.

*drools* I love Bindings and CoreData, omg those are the best!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.