Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mojo67821

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
I need to open ports on my MacBookPro with the latest version of OSX. I have a wireless netgear router. Can anyone give me a quick guide through this?

Mojo67821

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
This site (at least the pages relevant to me) concern Windows...

I never installed any programs for my router so I'm not even sure where to start. I'm assuming under Sys Pref's and then "Sharing", but I have no idea where to go from there. Anyone help?

- Eric

theman5725

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2006
This site (at least the pages relevant to me) concern Windows...

I never installed any programs for my router so I'm not even sure where to start. I'm assuming under Sys Pref's and then "Sharing", but I have no idea where to go from there. Anyone help?

- Eric
Not really. Forwarding ports is done in the web browser, so it doesn't matter what OS you are using. There are also directions on the site for OS X when required.

Tonsko

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Most routers now are stateful... Which means that as ports are opened outbound, the router knows what ports the reply will be coming back on. If you need external connections to initiate, you will need to set up rules in the firewall pages of your router.
There is a third place to open ports for external connections which I imagine will require you to fiddle with ipchains on OSX itself (if that is what it uses. I suspect it is, but haven't checked).

What exactly are you trying to do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.