Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wako

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
So I accidentally dropped my MacBook and now the screen is cracked. Damn...

I am wondering how much is it going to cost to replace the screen? How does this affect my warranty for AppleCare? I know replacing the screen wont be covered by AppleCare, however I am wondering if I would still be covered on the rest of the system when I replace and fix the screen?

Reactions: reparasjonmobil

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
You're right that accidental damage isn't covered. Apple used to operate a standard charge for all repairs on accidental damage regardless of what needed replacing. Although it wasn't what you'd call cheap, it should work in your favour in this case if they still do it that way, as the screen is one of the most expensive components in the laptop. Only way to find out is to speak to Apple themselves.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
I dont think it will be cheep unless you have a silver tong!

From what i heard, its almost cheeper to replace the whole computer than to replace the screen! that could be an exaggeration though, ive never had to replace a screen on anything!

wako

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Any rough estimate? 500? 600? enough to buy another macbook? :(

wako

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
wow... i called Apple and they said it is 750 to fix it! :eek:

that is crazy!

I guess I have to go with a 3rd party solution. But im hoping I can find one that costs less, and wont void the Apple warranty

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
So it comes out to $474 including the overnight shipping. Hmm...About 40% the cost of a new MB, at least 50% of a refurb already.

I'm not sure what I would do...maybe sell the broken and purchase a refurb.

wako

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Reflow...

Despite the very descriptive and graphical images, the task still looks very daunting. One thing I was confused about, was that it didnt actually say, how to remove the LCD screen from the Bezel!

Anyone know some additional instructions? Or maybe more DIY tutorials just so I can compare it to something?

wako

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Alright... so the price is still too high to fix. That is almost like buying a new macbook. So now Im thinking of selling it off and then buying a refurbished one.

I was wondering if anyone has a clue as to how much I can sell it for? It is a Black MacBook Core Duo

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Alright... so the price is still too high to fix. That is almost like buying a new macbook. So now Im thinking of selling it off and then buying a refurbished one.

I was wondering if anyone has a clue as to how much I can sell it for? It is a Black MacBook Core Duo

Granted its just the LCD that is broken, I wouldn't have high expectations so you don't get disappointed. I'd probably say $700 to be safe. Throw in the $474 that cost to repair the LCD and if you qualify for the educational discount that's a new 2.0Ghz Macbook there.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
You could always buy a cheap display (you'd get a decent one for the cost of replacing the broken screen), run that as the main display and keep the MacBook as a desktop.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
phungy said:
Throw in the $474 that cost to repair the LCD.
It's $395 (hardly the cost of a new MacBook). The OP obviously doesn't need it overnighted, since he's spent the last few days discussing it with us...

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
London
You could always buy a cheap display (you'd get a decent one for the cost of replacing the broken screen), run that as the main display and keep the MacBook as a desktop.

My wife broke the display of my 12" PB last year and I've been using an old CRT monitor with it since. It still works perfectly but has obviously lost the portability.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
It's $395 (hardly the cost of a new MacBook). The OP obviously doesn't need it overnighted, since he's spent the last few days discussing it with us...

Ok, $395, add that to the broken LCD Macbook (if) he sells for (say $700) and that's $1095. That's already the cost of a new Macbook.

ready2switch

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2006
Ok, $395, add that to the broken LCD Macbook (if) he sells for (say $700) and that's $1095. That's already the cost of a new Macbook.

Are you saying he would pay to have it fixed and THEN sell it for $700? Where are you getting $1k for a new macbook? :confused:

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC

Selling revenue would be income, so it doesn't "cost" the OP $1095 to fix and then sell. The profit would be approx $300 to wako assuming the $700 selling price. That said, I would suggest you try to sell it headless for $$$, I would venture to guess you could fetch $400+ on FeeBay, meaning its worth more with a broken screen.

*Too lazy to actually research this*

wako

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Alright... so this is my situation since there are so many suggestions...

Fixing my LCD from a 3rd party would void my computer's warranty, except for the LCD and be only warranted by the 3rd party. That really bothers me. Which is why I want to go with Apple fixing it...

However Apple costs 750 dollars to fix! 150 more I can buy refurb!

So now I am left with the option of, selling the system so that I can get money for a refurb, or use it as a desktop.

I been trying to find local shops that might just charge less, but not in my range. 650 (before tax) just aint cutting it either.

I guess I can post a feeler in my and see what happens... I should probably also call up CompUSA and see how much they charge, however the problem is, I heard they are SLOW to repair, quality is poor, and most people get their things back scratched up.

macunwired

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2008
Los Angeles
for anybody who finds this thread...

Now in 2009 you have a couple options that are a lot better than paying $400 for a new LCD panel or buying a new computer!

Any white or black macbook can have the screen replaced for under $200. I run a business that charges $160, and have a lot of competitors in the $180-200 range.

If you are a DIY person, check out youtube for instructions on how to replace the MacBook LCD, then buy the LCD off ebay for under $100. Be careful to buy a genuine LG/Philips display that is compatible with MacBooks.

Hope this helps somebody someday!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.