Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Vodafone NZ have said (unofficially) that it should be available here in early 2008, so I'd assume that it would be similar for Australia. They also said it'd probably be NZ$699 for the 4 GB and $899 for the 8 GB!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
So is the phone coming to australia??? and if so when???

2008 when the rest of Asia gets it. I reckon we'll get a 3G version that can utilise our faster HSDPA networks that are coming online now. EDGE is so slow, Telstra's nextG HSDPA network has download speeds up to 1.1Mbps at the moment and they'll be over 14mbps by the end of the year.

Doubt it'll be carrier specific though, if it proves a hit in the US and Europe the telcos will be jumping through hoops to get it and make some money.

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
If they don't make a 3G version for the rest of the world i think it'll flop. But i'm doubtful that Apple will make a 3G version for the world while selling the GSM/EDGE version in the US - so the first version of the iPhone you see in Europe & Asia may be kinda sucky.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
If they don't make a 3G version for the rest of the world i think it'll flop. But i'm doubtful that Apple will make a 3G version for the world while selling the GSM/EDGE version in the US - so the first version of the iPhone you see in Europe & Asia may be kinda sucky.

Well how far off having proper 3G coverage are you guys?

I would've thought we'd all get the 3G-capable phone around the same time. If we have to wait for the US to bring 3G online for too long (surely you guys can't be a year away from 3G stuff, it's been out here and in Europe/Asia for years, the first 3G phone provider here has been sponsoring the Test Cricket for the last 6 years and they've been here longer than that) then we'll all be on 4G and the argument would begin again.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Well how far off having proper 3G coverage are you guys?

I would've thought we'd all get the 3G-capable phone around the same time. If we have to wait for the US to bring 3G online for too long (surely you guys can't be a year away from 3G stuff, it's been out here and in Europe/Asia for years, the first 3G phone provider here has been sponsoring the Test Cricket for the last 6 years and they've been here longer than that) then we'll all be on 4G and the argument would begin again.

4G:eek: How fast will that be?

We have had 3G for over 2 years in South Africa, and 1.8Mbps HSDPA since last year, so I hope the iPhone has 3G and HSDPA by the time it arrives here.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
2008 when the rest of Asia gets it. I reckon we'll get a 3G version that can utilise our faster HSDPA networks that are coming online now. EDGE is so slow, Telstra's nextG HSDPA network has download speeds up to 1.1Mbps at the moment and they'll be over 14mbps by the end of the year.

You lost me at 3G :p

Seriously, I get so confused with all this cellphone terminology: EDGE, GPRS, EV-DO, HSDPA, UMTS... someone feel like giving me a quick summary? :eek:

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
A quad band GSM phone can work anywhere. So I expect its only going to be a case of supply and demand, and local telco approvals and some carrier deals. In Australia I think carriers will be very competative to get it so I am sure it will arrive.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
We can always buy off some Hong Kong based ebay seller if it gets stalled in aus. Not like it will be cheap anyway.

A$1099 with 2 years contract anyone?

(In fact I think it will really cost that much when it shows up here)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.