Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
I have a home LAN that currently has 3 Windows machines and a printer hooked up to it. We just bought a 24" iMac which will mostly replace my wife's Gateway laptop. The Apple store is copying her laptop's data over right now, and when work is over I will pick her computers up and take them home. (I wanted to upgrade to 2G Ram, but they only had 1 available - so we will decide later when to upgrade)

I bought a switch, but need to buy two short cat-5 cables. My basement router is too far away from her top floor laptop to get a decent connection, so I have a cat-5 cable connecting them - now I will want it connected to two computers.

So when I get home, I will connect them and hopefully she will immediately get her e-mail and web access. Then I will install XP in her Parallels, move her all-in-one printer from the laptop to the iMac, move her Kodak docking port from her laptop to the iMac, and hope they work. (And work at moving critical Windows apps over to Parallels).

Then I want to do what's necessary for our work group to share data. Where is a good source of information for me to do this? (We are Mac virgins).

Then I want to make sure we can still find her printer and use it from other computers.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
I read this guide. I got stuck where it wanted the IP address of my server. I have 3 PCs behind a router and a DSL modem - they get their IP addresses automatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.