Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2tallyAwesome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this site, although I have been reading for quite a while. I just wanted to share my love for apple and that they replaced my failing ibook with a brand new macbook.

I had a 1Ghz ibook G4, that after about 2 years began to have logic board issues. Since I didn't purchase applecare I paid the $300 flat repair fee to have it fixed, which came with a 90 day warranty. After about 3 months, the logic board failed again (argh) and again 2 months after that (argh!). At this point I was getting very aggrivated, and decided to send a letter to apple corporate offices letting them know I was unhappy with the service I was receiving.

Well a week after I sent my letter, I got a response from the corporate offices letting me know they had approved a brand new macbook to replace the nearly 3 year old ibook!

I just received the macbook yesterday, and couldn't be happier. It's brand a brand new C2D, and I ran the serial number and it came back as being purchased on the 12th, so it really is new and not refurbished!!

I just thought since there are so many reports of bad service from apple, that I should share my positive experience.

Thanks!!!

Oh and BTW. So far no noise at ALL coming from the logic board (I know this is usually a problem) and I am usually very sensitive to that kind of whining since I have a TV that does the same thing and it drives me absolutely batty. Hopefully it will stay that way.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
That's a great bit of 'luck' (?), I'd be extremely happy :)

Now, I wonder if my G5 iMac could start developing a fault...Or if my 4th Gen iPod... :D

2tallyAwesome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Well it definitely was an aggrivating six months or so, and I'm pretty certain that the G4 logic boards are just generally faulty. However I'm very happy that Apple decided to do what they could to make it right.

2tallyAwesome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
My ibook was the base version, so I received the base version of the macbook.

No problem though since I was going to upgrade the harddrive and ram no matter which version I received, and I don't really have a use for a super drive since my DVD player plays video CDs.

Retired
May 16, 2006
For future reference, what was the tone of your letter?

Was it angry, polite etc. Did you ask for a new laptop?

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
For future reference, what was the tone of your letter?

Was it angry, polite etc. Did you ask for a new laptop?

I agree. If you could provide us with a copy of the letter, as well as the address you sent it to, that would be great. Many users can benefit from it.

2tallyAwesome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
I was very respectful, but firm in my position that I was unhappy with the service I was receiving.

Please don't take this in any way as a road map to receive a new computer, however I wanted to put it out there that it is possible and does happen if you work with the system.

Unfortunately I don't feel comfortable posting a copy of the letter (I'm afraid it might put me in violation of the legal forms I had to sign when I received the macbook) However I just stated my product history, and that I needed a machine I could depend on.

Also I sent it to their corporate offices in Cupertino, Attn: Steve Jobs (lol).

2tallyAwesome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
At first the video would freeze after 10 minutes of use (this would increase in frequency the more I used it) and eventually it would simply boot to a blue screen.

The second and third times the logic board failed, video failed completely and the only thing that would happen when trying to boot up would be the fan kicking on full blast.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
*POUND POUND POUND*

Hey, Apple, my first-gen MacBook Pro is starting to experience problems.

*POUND POUND POUND*

Could I get a new Core 2 based one?

*POUND POUND POUND*

Please? :-D

Mine actually has had logic board issues, and has already been replaced once. Sadly, I didn't get a processor speed bump, since mine was the original $2499 model at 2.0 GHz with 256 MB VRAM, where the $2499 model ended at 2.16 GHz. I was actually rather worried that they might accidentally replace my logic board with the newer $1999 2.0 GHz model with only 128 MB VRAM. But they got it right.

They weren't horrible issues, it was just that four issues had all come up, so I finally took it in. (Screen whine, ExpressCard cage broken, random crashes on wake, and the top casing had scratching in the painted area in front of the keyboard.)

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
At first the video would freeze after 10 minutes of use (this would increase in frequency the more I used it) and eventually it would simply boot to a blue screen.

The second and third times the logic board failed, video failed completely and the only thing that would happen when trying to boot up would be the fan kicking on full blast.

That's the exact same problem I'm having with my wife's iBook. There's an online petition with roughly 1500 signatures of people with the same problem.

Link to Apple website Discussions

Link to Online Petition

2tallyAwesome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Yeah I saw that, but at this time Apple is still not recognizing that as a legitimate problem. I would suggest (if it is the logic board) paying the $300 flat repair fee. It comes with a 90 day warranty, so if you have repeat problems it will be covered, and you will have a leg to stand on if you want to bargain for a replacement machine.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
t comes with a 90 day warranty, so if you have repeat problems it will be covered ...

If I shell out the $300 to get it fixed and I get this 90 day warranty and it fails on me after the 90 period, say in 120 days, will it still be covered?

Or does it have to fail within that 90 day time frame for it to be covered?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.