Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doomedyouth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
Let me preface this question by saying I live in Japan and so don't usually understand everything electronics store staff tell me.

I host monthly parties at a small club. For the music, I connect my iPod directly into their amp using RCA plugs. When I was buying the cable the guy at the store told me I should look into getting the iPod dock because it would boost my signal.

So my question is, will connecting the cables to a dock improve my sound and/or volume? And is it a noticable difference? Also other companies make docks with speakers. How about those?

doomedyouth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
PS I have a first generation iPod Nano. And I think he was recommending the universal dock from Apple.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
The dock has a line level output. So it won't overload the inputs on a stereo.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
The guy at the store is right. You will get a proper and cleaner line-level signal from the dock... the headphone jack is noisier and isn't the correct impedance for line-level, leading to treble roll-off and other problems.

Basically, the output from the pins at the bottom of the iPod which connect to the dock, take the signal from before the headphone amp and volume control of the Nano.

min6characters

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2006
I realize I'm joining this thread a little late, but what about docks with line-level output vs. those with variable audio output? docks with variable audio output allow you to control the volume remotely through the dock, whereas line-level output is supposedly higher quality; however, is the difference noticeable?

Reason I'm asking: I had been connecting to my stereo through though the headphone port, and noticed I had to turn the volume on the ipod all the way up to get decent sound. I recently got a dock (Keyspan AV dock) with a remote which includes volume control, and the sound strength (with the dock volume maxed out) is comparable to the sound I was getting directly through the headphone port; it may be my imagination, but the sound through the headphone port actually sounds a little stronger.

I was expecting a much more improved sound through the dock vs. directly through the headphone port. Would getting a dock with line-level output result in any further noticeable improvement? (and if so, any recommendations?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.