Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 20, 2007, 09:07 AM   #1
mikeymoves
macrumors member

Wireless carriers should consider adding VoIP

Think about it. Any phone that has wireless broadband capabilities is going to be able to run a VoIP service (perhaps, in the case of the iphone, with a little ghetto riggin'). I think a good business strategy from a company like cingular, would be to embrace this technology and implement it into a price plan using current skype prices as a start off point. Rather than make the same mistake a lot of the music companies did during the birth of online downloads, wireless carriers should adapt NOW and get in on the action.

Rather than us using some hacked up VoIP app, why not have cingular data call options?

iPhone price plans -
19.99 unlimited data connect
14.99 unlimited data call (VoIP) - the truth is, this service won't be used as regular mobile service would be
9.99 1000 TXT messages
Old Jan 22, 2007, 01:24 PM   #2
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

If skype would work on the iPhone I would choose the plan you just listed.

I just wonder if Skype running would cause the screen to stay lit when talking on the phone as the battery would not last very long that way.

If only the camera was mounted on the screen side of the iPhone then video conferencing through Skype would be possible as well.
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 01:45 PM   #3
weldon
macrumors 6502a

It would be a great idea *IF* they could use your existing mobile number and you could choose to be on the GSM network or the VOIP network. You'd probably have to manually switch over, but eventually you could imagine a phone that was smart enough to detect an IP connection, ping your wireless carrier's VOIP service, and switch over for you if there was sufficient bandwidth available. The value here would be that your carrier provides your *phone number* for you. You pay a monthly fee to have the convenience of using that same number with multiple access methods.
weldon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 01:50 PM   #4
MacNut
macrumors P6

The phone companies would never allow it because it would mean less money for the TELCO and it is something that consumers really want.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 08:24 PM   #5
MacCheetah3
macrumors 6502

Hi
I'm so confused on this VOIP nonsense. It sounds as those wanting the iPhone to have VOIP, simply want it to save money on things like International calls, ... Understandable but why, OH WHY, would a cellular service company agree to less money? Put simply...Is all of this b***hing and moaning to try and cheat your way? Adding in the fact that some of you claim to be willing to pay $15 - 20 / month extra for such service makes this theory seem incorrect.

What's going on!?! I need clarification!
MacCheetah3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:23 AM   #6
nepcker
macrumors newbie

Well I don't think that Apple will add VoIP with iPhone. Cisco has already launched "iPhone" VoIP handsets, so there's very less probability that Apple would integrate VoIP into iPhone.

Get Camino - Get OpenOffice.org - Get a mac
nepcker is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone