Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
I have some classical albums that are broken into tracks. One album, for instance, has 4 tracks of Beethoven's 5th and 4 tracks of Beethoven's 7th. I want to change them to 1 track for each symphony - hopefully with the original amount of silence between movements.

I was told that the best way to fix this is to use my wife's new iMac. (I'm not sure whether it is iLife or Garage band). Her iTunes has a copy of mine (from plugging in my iPod). My iPod also has some hard drive files on it (formatted for PC).

Both Apple products are new since Christmas, and our knowledge is new as well.

I'm not sure what options are possible or recommended.

Should I edit these albums from her iTunes library? Should I re-rip the CDs into iTunes? Should i re-rip the CDs some other way? Can I load them from her iTunes, or do I need to get them back to my Windows machine?

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
Pop in the cd, select the tracks you want to join and choose "join tracks" from the advanced menu :) It'll create one mp3 file of the songs you chose

This will be using the default CD playing application? So I create one for Beethoven's 7th, and then have an opportunity to do so again for the 5th. Great!

Then to get it to my iPOD, do I need to copy it to my primary iTunes machine?

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
This will be using the default CD playing application? So I create one for Beethoven's 7th, and then have an opportunity to do so again for the 5th. Great!

Exactly, it's done using iTunes :) Very simple, actually. And if you already have them in your hard drive as separate files, you can join them as well, without having to use the cd.

Then to get it to my iPOD, do I need to copy it to my primary iTunes machine?

You need to have the files on the computer you sync your iPod to. Hope this helps!

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
Exactly, it's done using iTunes :) Very simple, actually. And if you already have them in your hard drive as separate files, you can join them as well, without having to use the cd.

I'll copy them from scratch - to make sure the silent time between tracks doesn't change.

You need to have the files on the computer you sync your iPod to. Hope this helps!

So I copy it to the hard drive part of my iPOD or via my home LAN, then load it on my iTUNES. Hmmm, I already have a cover for this album - I wonder if I can move it to that album, replacing earlier smaller tracks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.