Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
Hello,

Can someone tell me what settings I should be using to convert Movies and TV shows (on DVD which I own) to make them work in with the :apple:TV?
Some of them are widescreen and normal fullscreen.

I've already done some, but someone told me i used the wrong settings I'm really :mad: at myself for wasting time using the wrong settings.

I want the picture quality to be good - when playing on my 52" Plasma (it isn't HD) But I am looking into buying an HD TV in the next few months - so I want the content to work with the new TV, the new :apple:TV and possibly the "new true video ipod" (if and whenever it gets released).

I have the following programs installed: Handbrake, MPEG Streamclip, and MacTheRipper. I just don't know what is the best for what I want (i hear its MPEG Streamclip) but I don't know what settings to use in any of the programs.

PLEASE HELP ME PREP FOR THE :apple:TV.

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
Hello,

Can someone tell me what settings I should be using to convert Movies and TV shows (on DVD which I own) to make them work in with the :apple:TV?
Some of them are widescreen and normal fullscreen.

I've already done some, but someone told me i used the wrong settings I'm really :mad: at myself for wasting time using the wrong settings.

I want the picture quality to be good - when playing on my 52" Plasma (it isn't HD) But I am looking into buying an HD TV in the next few months - so I want the content to work with the new TV, the new :apple:TV and possibly the "new true video ipod" (if and whenever it gets released).

I have the following programs installed: Handbrake, MPEG Streamclip, and MacTheRipper. I just don't know what is the best for what I want (i hear its MPEG Streamclip) but I don't know what settings to use in any of the programs.

PLEASE HELP ME PREP FOR THE :apple:TV.

I suggest that you wait for the actual device to ship before converting any movies. You might be able to convert movies spec-wise for it but you can't be 100% sure they'll work until you try them.

As for programs, I can't recommend VisualHub enough. It should be able to support the 720p H.264 (again, at least specwise) and also convert un-encrypted DVD VIDEO_TS folders (ripped with MacTheRipper) to almost any format. VisualHub does cost some money but if you're going to convert a lot of movies, it's definately worth it. There are almost weekly updates for it as well so it's very actively developed with new features added constantly.

Joshua.

The way I do it is rip with MactheRipper, then convert with Handbrake.

Why the extra step of ripping with MacTheRipper when Handbrake can do the ripping on the fly while encoding?

Joshua.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
iTunes

Remember that Steve said that :apple:TV can play the same things as iTunes (I'm guessing without external QuickTime plug-ings).

So far all my HandBrake rips play just fine in iTunes (Original DVD size (720xWhatever), H.264 @ Quality 60, AAC @ 128kbps).

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
It'd be nice to be able to preserve the 5.1 sound - but I haven't found any good way to automatically transcode AC3 5.1>AAC 5.1.

davede70

macrumors member
May 8, 2006
Yes, that's the status quo until someone comes up with a way to encode 5.1 AAC.

Joshua.

Well that sucks. Why would anyone buy AppleTV then? What's the point if I can't get 5.1 on my own movies. I want to do to my DVDS what I did to my cds, put them in a box at the back of the closet.

DankoTheHun

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2007
You can encode 5.1!!!!

Unfortunately, the only solution costs $150 Cinematize 2.0 Pro + QT Pro. With that combo you can convert the AC-3 to AAC 5.1 and it should work with the AppleTV from what I understand from the specs so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.