Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
It seems I have really messed up my iPod! Apple's support pages don't have any solution to my problem so I've come here.
When I connect my iPod to the Mac, there is absolutely no detection - neither iTunes, nor Finder can detect it. The disk of the iPod is however detected in Disk Utility. I think I may have messed up the permissions of the disk, so it isn't "viewable". But, clearly there is an amount of "invisible detection", i.e when I disconnect it the Mac will display warning.
I believe the solution to this is restoring the iPod to factory settings. But, this isn't possible, as it can only be recognised in Disk Utility. Should I erase it at Disk Utility, and load the iPod software afterwards? Please advise.

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
Restart your iPod by pressing the center + Menu keys... imediately after you do this, hold down the center + play key.. this will get it into disk mode... it should be detected by the Mac, open iTunes, then restore it.

G99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Thanks for the help. It is now into "disk mode", but it still isn't detected!
Finder, and iTunes have not detected it, but Disk Utility detects it, as before.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
If Disk Utility will let you erase it, you might go ahead and do that. After another reset, iTunes may take the hint and allow a restore.

G99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
OK - I think I'll go ahead and erase it. But do you know which volume format a regular iPod on the Mac should be?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
OK - I think I'll go ahead and erase it. But do you know which file format a regular iPod on the Mac should be ?

Plain old Mac HFS+ ("Mac OS Extended" in Disk Utility speak) should work.

G99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Thanks for your help, I'll restore it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.